Trying to understand brevis rails system. Pics of camera on rails? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Trying to understand brevis rails system. Pics of camera on rails?

I don't quite understand the Brevis rails system, pictured here:
http://www.cinevate.com/catalog/images/nrails.jpg

I would normally expect to see a threaded bolt coming through a cork-topped pad like what is seen at the left end of this photo. That looks like where you'd mount the camera, but there doesn't appear to be any kind of attaching mechanism there. It's just a pad.

I know I've seen a pic of a camera with brevis mounted to the rails (I specifically remember seeing one with the camera upside down) but I'm not sure where I found it. Can somebody explain or show me how the Brevis mounting works?

Also, is there a way to attach the bottom of the Brevis rail system to a removable tripod baseplate? I would have to assume the answer is yes, but the picture on the website (linked above) doesn't show me how that would work. In fact, in the picture, it seems to be attached to some kind of odd-shaped block. Is that part of the rail system or something the rails are mounted to?

Thanks
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:21 PM   #2
Trustee

The cork-shaped pad is from Hogwarts. You have to cast a Mounting Charm when the camera is on top of it.
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ben is just trying to be funny. The Brevis rails systems work with electro magnets to retain the camera. The only downside is that when the batteries run dry the cam falls off the head.
Charles Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Oh man, I can feel the tide on this thread! :)
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Hurley View Post
Ben is just trying to be funny. The Brevis rails systems work with electro magnets to retain the camera. The only downside is that when the batteries run dry the cam falls off the head.
Works very well as a degausser too. Just swipe your tapes over it and voila!
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #6
Major Player

David, if you take a look at some of the rigs pictured here, you'll get a better idea of how the rails work :-) There's half a dozen different ways to configure them.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods