Ever get your Nikon lenses fixed/cleaned in NY/NJ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 5th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Ever get your Nikon lenses fixed/cleaned in NY/NJ?

The aperture on my 50mm f1.4 broke and I'm thinking of having it fixed either by Nikon itself or one of their authorized service centers. A few others need cleaning for internal dust as well. I've checked with one that has a good reputation, APS in Chicago, and their price sounds reasonable for new lenses but still more than what I originally paid for it on Ebay. For Nikon USA in NJ, I hear that they are slow (matter of weeks). Has anyone reading had any experience with this?
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Mike:

I have same problem with my F1.4. When you have it wide open, it won't close back up with the ring. So I end up manually closing by pulling the lens off an manipulating using the prong on the back side of lens. Since I am using mostly 2.8 to 5.6 with that lens, its a little hassle that I put up with. Great lens for adapters. Gives a very wide coverage before fall off...
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Thought I was doing it wrong, but no such luck. The prong is now stuck midway and there's still no action on the aperture. APS thinks the internal mechanism is broken. Caveat emptor when buying lenses on ebay. Even 100% rating is no guarantee even if they are a camera store. I've also got a nice 28mm F/2.0 with dust/oil spots internally ... always check from the back of the lens ... or from the adapter's groundglass to the front. Dust and spots appear easily that way ... also appears on the groundglass image unfortunately.

I called Nikon USA and APS in Chicago, their prices vary. Was hoping to hear from someone that has used either service or an alternative one.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods