Adapters: New Widescreen Frame Size? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 6th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Adapters: New Widescreen Frame Size?

This thought is in regards to the commercially available DOF adapters have a spinning disc or non standard diffusing screen.

I like framing my shots and cropping my footage to a cinema style 2.35:1 widescreen. If I start with 36X24mm, I end up with about 36X15.3mm.

But, why not zoom out a little more with my video camera, and get about a 40X17.5mm frame? It should have 20% better resolution from the SLR and the diffuser. And it should have just as good corner to corner sharpness as the 36X24 frame because it fits inside the 44mm image circle.
Donnie Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Major Player

You are then outside of the 36x24 projection that the lens was designed to cover. First problem is vignetting, especially with wide angle lenses...

With the SGpro, it is possible to do 40x17.5, but it is not designed for this frame size, really.
Old May 6th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #3
Major Player

actually, i just sat down and did a comparision of the 2 frame sizes...

I can see where you are coming from, the 4 corners of the frame with both 36x24 and 40x17.5 are the same distance from the edge of the image circle, so in theory you would not suffer more from vignetting.
Old May 6th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Kinney View Post
actually, i just sat down and did a comparision of the 2 frame sizes...

I can see where you are coming from, the 4 corners of the frame with both 36x24 and 40x17.5 are the same distance from the edge of the image circle, so in theory you would not suffer more from vignetting.
Bingo, and you get a 20% larger frame if you're shooting cinema wide.
Donnie Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have posted the same pic on other thread on this forum. And yes thats right you can get a larger frame and at the same time the grain decreases because of the larger gg.

I have done already a bigger vibrating gg-holder for 35mm slr lenses that have a bigger imaging circle than 43mm.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...7&d=1178482217
Daniel Schaumberger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods