Final word on HV20 with Letus35a? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 15th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Final word on HV20 with Letus35a?

Has anyone used a Letus35a 58mm version with the HV20? How were the results?
I saw the post about having to use spacer rings with the 72mm version, and how it was difficult for the HV20 to focus.
I'm thinking of getting a HV20 to use with my Letus35a 58mm, but before I do, would love to know how it works.
Thanks.
Joel Endicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Joel:

Again, I've used it with the 72mm version. I have a couple of threads posted, including footage. I did not use a spacer, and it works fine. You can run into some edge vignetting on some lenses, which a spacer might help alleviate by allowing one to zoom a bit better. I am, however, able to get critical focus without an extension tube, zoomed soemwhere between 1/3 and 1/2 on the zoom scale. Since I use two step up rings that add space between the camera lens and achromat element, you may have a bit of different result with the 58mm version, but I don't know whether the 58 mm version achromat is different in magnification.
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Chris,
Thanks for sharing your results. I'm glad to hear it works without spacers on the 72mm, and hopefully it will have the same results with the 58mm.
I'm actually using the Letus right now with a Canon Elura 65 (consumer handycam), and I'm getting pretty good results, though you really have to zoom in pretty far to avoid vignetting. I'm using two step up rings with that set-up.
Joel Endicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ok, so I got myself the HV20 and am initially a little disappointed with how it works with the Letus35a (58mm version). I can't zoom in far enough and still get a good focus without having a fair amount of vignetting.

Also, I really wish the HV20 could do the magnet trick to flip the image. I'm surprised that there isn't even the "mirror" option for the LCD on this camera (my older Elura 65 could do both of these things). I found the post from Cinevate where they show you how to open the hinge and manually press the switches, and curiousity got the best of me so I tried it. It works, but now I can't get the switch to fit back into the hinge correctly. Basically, I've lost the ability to see the image right-side-up when you flip it forward (for filming yourself).

I just posted some footage with and without the letus. You can tell which images are Letus by the vignetting and softness.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=687472
Joel Endicott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods