my first Letus35a test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 16th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

my first Letus35a test

I see other people posting their Letus test footage, so I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon. : )

I shot this with my lowly Canon Elura 65. Surprisingly, the Letus35a works pretty well with the camera. The hardest part is trying to focus by viewing the tiny 2 inch LCD (the magnet trick works, thank goodness!). I definately need practice in getting the focus right (or a large external monitor).

A little about myself: I'm new to this forum, but have been reading and learning a lot from the good people around here. I'm into still photography, but never really liked the look of video until I saw the footage being posted here. It really gave me a new insight on how to approach my video camera like my still camera. The Letus has really helped me get beyond the "home video" look that I hate so much.

Anyway, here's a short bit of my family having fun blowing bubbles in our backyard. I'm using a Nikon 50mm 1.8 on the Letus35a, and this was edited in FCP with some color correction (I'm still trying to learn how to do that better!).

Any advice or feedback for this newbie would be appreciated.

joel

http://jsendicott.com/dvinfo/bubbles.mov
Joel Endicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hey Joel:

Very nice stuff. Nice family too..

How are you flipping your footage. In post ? I built a little thing from my HV20 to shoot it upside down, so you don't have to do it in post. You could do same with Elura.
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for taking a look, Chris.

I saw your flipped HV20. So far, I've found that applying a vertical and horizontal flop to the footage as soon as I've captured it into FCP is working very well for me. No rendering necessary to view it correctly.

joel
Joel Endicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

beautiful footage!

I'm trying to get my letus hooked up to my hv20. will post results as soon as i can get rid of the vignetting.
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dave:

Whatever the scientific principal is, I find that the smaller the rear element on a 35mm prime lens, the more likely it is to have vignetting. It doesn't make sense to me, because you would think there would be no vignetting on a 35mm neg, so why would we see it on certain lenses. My answer to that is that we don't zoom in enough to get inside the vignette area, and we are thus using a bit wider field than the standard 35 mm frame.

Answer to resolve that is one of two things, on the HV20: Add an extension that will allow better zoom, or add a second achromat. I happen to have a second 72mm achromat from Cinevate that I haven't had time to test except briefly, and it seemed to work, but I will be looking at it closer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods