Easiest 35mm adapter to use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 31st, 2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Wrangler

Easiest 35mm adapter to use?

Hey guys, what do you consider the easiest 35mm adapter to use? Least amount of fiddling to get the best picture?

Thanks
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

My vote is probably not proper since I haven't used it, but it would be for the Cinevate model. I have a self built spinner that I can judge the M2s and SG etc on, and I have concluded that due to size, and need for rod support, etc, they are not to be a run and gun solution. I have the Letus35a, and actually like it, but I think the Cinevate looks like it has a bit better performance, has some additional features and options, and probably seals better for the avoidance of dust...
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Dylan, I'm a bit biased on the subject but the Brevis adapter is designed to be up and running on your camera in about 30 seconds. There's one adjustment to fine tune XY alignment and this is a one-time 60 second adjust. Swapping out imaging elements would take about 3 minutes once you've done it a few times...with no post calibration required. Power is self contained internally with a runtime of approx 20 hours...and the unit is sealed fore and aft to keep dust out.

Our tool-less micro collimation feature being integrated (in testing right now) will make swapping lens mounts and getting collimation distance (distance from 35mm lens to GG) perfect using one tool...a ball point pen :-) This means you will be able to swap from a Nikon SLR mount to our new PL mount in seconds and have both perfect collimation/alignment without measuring a thing.

Having sharp edge to edge focus on an image, acquired using an achromat, inches from your camera, requires near perfect z axis alignment. 100% computer controlled machining on every one of our parts and incredibly precise assembly ensures z axis alignment is +- .001" and maintained to that spec on every single unit.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:39 PM   #4
Wrangler

Hey Dennis
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm researching 35mm adapters for an article/resource page for DVinfo and also looking for one for myself.
I may email you a few questions about the Brevis for the article. Just a heads up. :)

Cheers!

Dylan
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dennis.

This may interest you - unrelated to groundglass based adaptor relay but might be an assist for setting correct backfocus in the field using the existing camcorder and backlighting the GG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pulx6otzs4c

Last edited by Bob Hart; May 31st, 2007 at 11:47 PM. Reason: forgot the link
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:09 AM   #6
Major Player

Bob, your title here should be something along the lines of "Keeper of the 35mm Adapter Knowledge Base" :-)

Adapter users have one major advantage when collimating in that we've got HD definition cameras with peaking/magnification that we can use to set both back focus...and test/adjust collimation. I hadn't though of it before, but our task (as opposed to the film camera version) is actually a lot easier. Many of our users have requested an easier way to quickly and accurately set up the 35mm lens both in terms of alignment and collimation. Our latest front assembly is designed to allow users to quickly achieve accuracies of +- .003 mm without measuring. This means every 35mm, PL, or OCT19 lens can be micro-adjusted to perfection with respect to both collimation and z axis orientation.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods