A great short scene with the Brevis at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:17 PM   #1
Major Player

A great short scene with the Brevis

This last friday we shot a quick scene with my camera package (JVC HD100 + Brevis + Nikons) and I'm still very excited about what it can do with the right lighting. This is straight from the camera (all but 2 shots that were cc'd)

Why shoot film when HD can look so nice? ;-)

http://www.cineverapictures.com/clip...g_goodbye.html
Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Hello Chad,

Very beautiful, but I am a bit of a sucker for these kind of scenes. Very much like scenes from Meet Joe Black and Eyes Wide Shut.

I liked the focus pulling, very natural.

The colors are quite powerful, but I did notice quite a lot of color banding, especially on her arm when she is running her hand through the water. Is this caused by the compression to QuickTime?

It all gives me quite a bit of inspiration actually.
Off to write a couple of scenes.
Take
Old June 24th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

That looks really nice Chad. It's great to see one of these adapters used like it would be in the real world, rather than a series of crazy focus pulls people insist on demonstrating with these things.

And before people jump down my throat this is just my opinion and how I would shoot a commrcial or film.

Once again Chad great looking work.
Stephen Pipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Chad, truly professional camera work there. The dolly in as you follow the rose being offered is something I've never seen done with an adapter before..and it was perfectly executed. For that matter, everything I've seen from you with the Brevis has been flawlessly professional. Inspiring work :-)
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Wow... Great stuff... Looks *very* good to me. The actors along with direction did a great job of telling the story without actually telling the story... Great work...
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #6
Trustee

Blown away. Nice pacing, great framing, lighting is perfect and most excellent music - Death Cab for Cutie is a great touch. Well done.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #7
Trustee

Looks great Chad. Being an avid Brevis user myself, with many different CF screens, I would recommend you stop down your lens or switch out to a CF2 or above. I know it was probably a dark scene, but it could've definitely benefited from more diffusion. It would enhance the DOF effect and create more natural focus blur.
Old June 24th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for your remarks guys. It means a lot. We've been pretty blown away on some of these shoots as well. There are times when I'm getting ready to shoot and I hear loud oohs and ahhs of glee coming from the crowd at the monitor as they see the shot for the first time. It happened a number of times on this one. The actors love it I'm sure.

I'm actually impressed we were able to pull off that rack on the push in so flawlessly without a followfocus or a professional dolly (we were using an IndieDolly without a seat). It could have been easily bumped as both my AC and I had to walk next to it while making adjustments, but we got it after only a few takes.

We're excited by what is possible with this setup and are going to keep shooting as much as possible with it. We did shoot some 16mm (Kodak 500T) on this scene to compare the two. Aside from deeper DOF I'm curious to see the quality difference. I'll be sure to post side-by-side footage when that comes back.

Also in case you're curious, here's a production still that shows some of the setup. Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
A great short scene with the Brevis-sayinggoodbye_bts2.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods