higher FPS? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 8th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #1
New Boot

higher FPS?

Apologies if this has already been discussed here, but has anyone done any work on getting higher FPS out of the Elphel?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is mostly dependent on the sensor. I was just wondering if one could "overclock" it or had any other tricks to squeeze out higher FPS at the same resolution.

Alternatively, are than any practical sensors out there that would offer much high FPS captures?

Thanks,
Zach
Zach Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Zach, you are correct the sensor together with the hardware processing the images afterwards are responsible for the highest possible FPS.

Currently that are around 80MPix/sec in JP4 RAW mode. I do not think it's a good idea to overclock the sensor. Most other camera manufacturers underclock these particular sensors, we use them at max performance.

The next generation Elphel camera will sport a new faster sensor. More details are available in this newspost with further links to sensor table for consideration, etc: Near Future: New Camera / New Sensor | Apertus Open Source Cinema
Sebastian Pichelhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #3
New Boot

Apologies for the further ignorance, but I'm a little confused by the sensor table. Is this just for speculation or is it possible to replace the sensor one's self? Do you know of anyone who has tried either the Cypress LUPA-1300-2 or the Micron MT9M413 on the Elphel?
Zach Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It's a collection of sensors and their specs for easier consideration and better overview. None of these sensors have been implemented yet.
Sebastian Pichelhofer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project