concept to apertus community at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:08 PM   #1
New Boot

concept to apertus community

hi! finally i am able to write here and would like to share my concept of future camera. the idea is to make it as more free to configure as possible. the main element is cube with many holes for connecting any stuff in any configurations. viewfinder based in DevKit8000 with touchscreen. and arm with eight AA batterys or any other type of batterys inside. as so as this concept for future 373 model recording will be to a internal ssd drive. optional you can connect external usb hard drive (for example to free space on low capacity ssd drive you can move data to external drive and after that continue to record on fast ssd).

Dmytry Shijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks Dmytry!

How did you resolve the issues with the dvinfo registration? I heard from other people that they had trouble as well so it would be very valuable to know what the problem was or how it can be avoided.

About your concepts. I love the idea of the flexible cage with many mounting options. Though I think we should add the possibility to add rods support to the system for heavy lenses, matte boxes, 35mm adapters, etc.

By the way: The latest official Beagleboard revision (Beagleboard-xM) has added an Ethernet port!
Sebastian Pichelhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I agree with the cube and th multiple holes, i'm not so sure on the rails (i would keep it simple so they can be added but not present forever)
i'm looking forward more into that idea:
Proteus Rails System - 15mm Solid Carbon, (2R, B) 60cm long

my only sugestion would be to make such box with more separated holes, if the camera is small the box doesn't have to be, so i would suggest more space between the holes
Biel Bestue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 11:37 PM   #4
New Boot

i registered again from another computer with gmail account and they after 2 weeks activated me. anyway its very strange forum with strange registration process. rods can be easy connected if they needed. and the reason why i like DevKit8000 is because it in one of its modifications it comes with 7" led backlight touchscreen monitor, already connected to board. about $300 for all package - Embest Devkit8000 Evaluation Kit (Complete Configuration) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRJN9IYsDDk
Old July 7th, 2010, 04:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Another thought on the box with holes concept: for some accessories like the grip handle you need more than a single whole to prevent it from turning around freely. This might mean that more holes like 4x4 instead of 3x3 per side can make sense.
Old July 7th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #6
New Boot

yea, maybe making it wider to cover all elphel body have a sense, and also so we have a better camera protection!
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #7
New Boot

does anyone know the diameter and distance between standard camera rods? if there is any standard at all :) i need it to make more sketches with rods and follow focus
Old July 8th, 2010, 02:27 AM   #8
Regular Crew

the diameter is 15mm, i don't know the inbetween distance
Old July 25th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quoting Oscar from: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/apertus-...-hardware.html

"The one thing that needs to change to make it possible is to change the 60mm rods spacing to 100mm spacing, which is actually studio standard for 15mm rods.
I'd like to hear peoples opinion on this. I think 60mm spacing is more a 'video' standard, but most of us here probably have a matte box or a follow focus using 60mm. There should be an easy way to adapt these to 100mm."
Old July 27th, 2010, 05:04 AM   #10
Regular Crew

adaptability is great, isn't adaptability what Elphel and Apertus is all about? :)
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #11
New Boot

for standart cinema rods with mattebox i think more sense is to make standart setup. for example here we can peep many useful combinations http://www.cineraw.es/docs/Cineraw_Sparta_Eng_v1.pdf
but in this setup we lost small formfactor and mobility
Dmytry Shijan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project