Elphel 333 (practical thread) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project

Old February 13th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #31
Regular Crew

im in the university for 3 days. And only able to look for it in the universitie's chemical labaratuary. i found parafain wax here but no microwax. i will go to the city today and look for microwax in hobbyshops. there is a very little chance but i will give it a shot :)

or there is a posibbelety that if i can find the formula for the micro wax, i can produce it in the universtylab with the help of product engineers here. however i don't want to wait that long.
Hurcan Emre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #32
Regular Crew

i searched everywhere but couln't find macrowax. I only found parafin. maybe i should melt parafin between two transparant cds and use it as a turning ground glass.

what do you think? would it be much metter than the one that is done with the sand paper?

ps: should i open a new thread or continue this one? (probably this should be the last post from me that is not about Elphel 333 :) )
Hurcan Emre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #33
Major Player

Here is the old microwax thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...light=microwax
Maybe we'd better post everything about wax over there.
The Elphel has given it a new dimension though, because it turns out to be the best static 35mm solution for HD footage.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Hi oscar I've to ask you only one thing about the microwax gg ....I haven't understand if, at the end, I'll have to remove the small glass with the aluminum foil and looking at microwax on the net I've found this http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...OD&ProdID=1304
have you tried it ...di you think is a good choice!?
Matteo Pozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #35
Major Player

Matteo,

Don't remove the small glass, and don't remove the foil. You just have to clean both sides of the pieces of glass.
I never used the microwax-polish. Maybe it works, but I think it will be too fluid, which makes it too transparent (I tested beeswax-polish).
You need something like this: http://www.genwax.com/do_not_index/Z40M75W.htm (I still had that in my bookmarks)
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #36
Major Player

How would a lens like this do on an Elphel 333 camera.
I guess it's from an old professional video camera like this one, and the lens should be adapted to c-mount somehow.
The elphel sensor size is "slightly bigger than 1/2" format (nominal 6.4mm x4.8mm)" , but for the 16:9 at 24fps we don't use the whole sensor. What's the chip size of such a panasonic? I'm asking because I'd like to have a good lens on the Elphel when it's not on the 35mm adapter. Also a bit wide angle, because the 35mm DOF effect is almost lost on wide angle lenses, so I wouldn't use the adapter in those cases anyway.
Old March 1st, 2007, 10:44 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Oscar pay attention to the fact that what was "broadcast" quality
was with a resolution of 640 x 480 (more or less for pal) so I think that you have to invest in some "megapixel" c mount lens to achieve the result of the image of Phil
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:17 PM   #38
Major Player

Yes, but I guess a professional camera comes with a very sharp lens, and because resolution is something very subjective when it comes to optics (like.. what's the resolution of a real 35mm picture)
Old March 2nd, 2007, 09:04 AM   #39
Regular Crew

maybe you can give it a try it is not so expansive :-) I was thinking for a megapixel lens... if we can adapt a 5 mp camera lens ...you can take an old
broken digital camera for cheap and dismouting it mabe can be usefull
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #40
Major Player

I have now bought a big lens (bigger than the Elphel itself! - didn't know until I got it) originally for a professional Panasonic video camera. I made a mount for the tripod and the elphel so it's in balance (see the images)
I have to fine adjust the focal point, but I got some very sharp images already. And very good at low light.

Another very practical thing I made is a separate optical viewfinder next to the camera. I striped a SLR camera to a small directors-finder. I can also use it with the 35mm adapter. Whatever lens I put in front of the Elphel, I just zoom in with the viewfinder to match the field of view.
Of course I can't pull focus this way, but that's the next problem to solve. (synched follow focus?)

Here are some pictures:

Old April 12th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #41
Major Player

I guess the image is deleted from the server. Here it is again:

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6...wfinderhj4.jpg
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #42
Major Player

Hey Oscar,

Please upload some more pictures, I would really like to see how sharp the lens is. Can you provide any details on it?

This is what im working on right now:
http://www.buysmartpc.com/333/333design.jpg

I have most of it built.. and when complete i don't think it will weigh much more then a steadycam with a monitor, battery pack and counter weights. I can also balance everything to behave as a stabilizer
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project