View Full Version : Gain On Gl2

Eddie Pelfrey
August 12th, 2007, 09:36 PM
i have a gl2 that is 1100 miles from me trying to tell the guy there how to set the gain and other ways to get better picture in low light.

how do you change the gain on a gl2
any other tips for low light

i also have a xl1s and a a1 any tips on these cameras would be great also

Eddie

Don Palomaki
August 13th, 2007, 06:25 AM
First, suggest they download the manual from the canon.dv web site, if they do not have one at hand.

You can set the gain in Manual exposure mode. Instruction are on page 76 & 77 of the manual. Set the camcorder to Manual program mode, press the Exp dial twice to select gain, then use the exp dial to select the gain you want

Note that in general as gain increases, the noise in the image, especially in dark shadow areas, also increases. In auto exposure modes gain is automatically adjusted by the camcorder in accordance with the selected exposure program.

If noise with higher gains becomes excessive, try a slower shutter sped, e.g., 1/30, if the motion artifacts are not excessive..

Todd Clark
August 13th, 2007, 09:04 AM
A VERY important thing to mention is to turn down the sharpness in the custom preset. This helps grain tremendously. I can shoot at 12 gain and get very little or no grain (noise) with the sharpness down two notches.

Graham Bernard
August 13th, 2007, 09:51 AM
A VERY important thing to mention is to turn down the sharpness in the custom preset.

. .and then activate the PRESET too! - g

Norman Woo
July 22nd, 2008, 09:12 AM
Hi Folks

Can the gain be set in auto mode on the GL2?

My other shooter (we do weddings) always shoots in AUTO (I've tried to explain to him how to shoot in manual but he prefers auto) and you see grain everywhere in the shadow areas (even during daytime shots). Is there a way to lock or adjust the gain while in AUTO mode?

I have the XL1 and I can adjust the gain while I lock down in AUTO mode. On the XL1, I can lock down in AUTO mode and still have the flexiblity to override the shutter and iris.

It's frustrating to see grain even during daytime shots.

Thanks