View Full Version : Audio monitoring on the DVX 100

Philippe Orlando
May 29th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Hello,

I've heard that audio monitoring is not possible on the DVX 100?
Is this true? What does it mean exactly?
Does this mean you can't monitor the input visually on the LCD screen?
Thanks
Phil

Peter Jefferson
May 29th, 2003, 09:28 AM
well, theres an earphone socket, and if its anything like the MX series of cams (which the OS is based on) it would most probably have a VU meter...

i hope it does.. LOL
*pete grabs downlaoded manual and looks for info...*

Stephen van Vuuren
May 29th, 2003, 10:17 AM
That's really some bad info. It has a earphone, built-in speaker and LCD VU meters - and some pretty extensive controls for the 4-channel XLR system.

It's certainly is equal to an XL1s if not better.

Glen Elliott
May 29th, 2003, 10:24 AM
My only concern about the DVX100s audio is the fact that I sometimes can't avoid distortion (while using ME66). Say I'm shooting a toast at a wedding and the audio is set conservatively in preparation for applause...regardless of what setting I have when the the sound gets loud very quickly the audio exhibits distortion....regardless of the fact it's not spiking in the VMU.
Is "mic alc" (which is "on" by default) used to control the mic level somewhat automatically?
Sorry...hope I didn't change the subject too much...

Stephen van Vuuren
May 29th, 2003, 10:27 AM
alc=automatic limiting control

Peter Jefferson
May 29th, 2003, 10:39 AM
turn it off mate, (alc) then run the gain witin the reception about 20db under peak... this way you can boost the gain in post and save the digitla clipping of excessive input..
The mx500 also has this, however i find these auto settings are a little slow... basically the ALC seems to be working like an onboard compressor, however the envelope is very slow with a long decay... i prefer goin manual all the way with a pair of earfones and ajsuting the gain as things change...

Stephen van Vuuren
May 29th, 2003, 10:42 AM
I agree Peter. If possible, split mics or mic signal to two channels. Record one channel -10db less than other channel (or even -20db for extreme recording situations). Monitor the 0db channel, that way if some does clip on the 0db channel, you probably can use the other channel just fine.

This technique saved several scenes in one of my shorts.

Jarred Land
May 29th, 2003, 10:52 AM
the dvx100 has the best audio subsystem out there... in a prosumer model.

Glen Elliott
May 29th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the input- I'll try turning the mic alc off. And Stephen, I remember you mentioning this technique before- I'll have to give it a shot. How do I split the mono mic into two signals?

Stephen van Vuuren
May 29th, 2003, 11:58 AM
If you are shooting on your own, you might want to carry a small battery mixer around your shoulder - easier to change levels than using cam controls (I use a Samson Mixpad 4) or have a sound person with mixer.

Cheap way it to use a simple splitter - should be one at www.markertek.com.

Philippe Orlando
May 29th, 2003, 07:12 PM
That was totally bad info.
I picked it up on the archives at DV.COM where a guy says that the DVX doesn't have any audio monitoring. I couldn't believe it, but I double checked with you on this forum, since you know more about this particular cam. Forget about it.
Thanks
Phil

Peter Jefferson
June 22nd, 2003, 08:35 AM
hey glen, if ur still after the audio input configs between the 2 channels for the one mic, check out the "DVX Audio Input" thread i started...

as for the earphone plug, its easy to lose sight of it as its covered... Its on the right hand side of the battery under a rubber strap.