View Full Version : What could canon add to the XL-H2

Pages : [1] 2

Nick Hiltgen
December 18th, 2007, 02:24 PM
I'm sorry for starting this, but it seems like canon is offering discounts and I wanted to get together all of the requests for the xl-h2, people seem to want it but I for one am not sure what could be offered.

1) HD-SDI with time code and audio embedded (this is a given)

2) Image flip everywhere not just the viewfinder

3) Some sort of internal hard drive recording option, I think expresscard 34 would work well with the form factor, pop a few in the back, I think it would work (file size) similarly to the fire store, but with interchangeability of the hvx. Don't know who would want it though.

This is all I have, which makes me wonder why canon would release a new version of the xl-h series. It's at about 2 years and there revision cycle is around 3, that coupled with the canon guys telling me that there wasn't much in the pipeline for the xl-h1 makes me think that after the promo period there may just be a price drop.

Does anyone else have suggestions? Comments?

Alkim Un
December 18th, 2007, 03:04 PM
50p/60p PAL NTSC switchable, with better codec alow uncompressed audio.
alkim.

Steve Rosen
December 18th, 2007, 07:07 PM
I doubt the codec will change anytime soon, we're pretty much stuck with HDV for a while - unless of course it is tapeless, adopts a whole new codec, and etc...

Personally, I would opt for an improved image in the finder.. I imagine small LCDs have improved considerably in the 2 years since the H1's introduction - that has been my biggest complaint about the camera...

Even though I don't use my H1 any more (it's for sale actually) I still think it's the best of the breed, and any improvement will be icing on a pretty good cake...

Kevin Martorana
December 18th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I'd like to see a better viewfinder. B/W or color...doesn't matter...just better resolution.

Downcovert output options from the BNC/RCA analog output. Centerpunch 4x3 or letterbox 4x3. The A1 does this...

20x lens with iris ring ON the lens...like the 6x.

Standard strap holders on the handle...so a Portabrace strap can be attached. Those small "slits" are great for a little consumer strap...but can't be easily accomodated to a professional strap.

Michael Galvan
December 18th, 2007, 09:58 PM
1. Top of the list is a better viewfinder. After using the color LCD on the Sony EX1, the Canon's looks like once that can never look focused at all. The Sony has a 1920x480 LCD and it is a marvel for focusing. (I've actually sent some requests about making a hi-res color viewfinder to Canon ... let's see what they do ... Maybe I'll talk to their rep next time he's at B&H)

2. 1/2" 1920x1080 chips similar to the Sony EX1. True Progressive CCD or CMOS (although the F modes work quite well, indistinguishable from 24P, the P would just allow for no resolution loss)...

3. Embedded HD-SDI out ( a given as Nick pointed out). Or to be pompous and elitist, have dual-HD-SDI out to record to HDCAM SR or a 4:4:4 capable codec.

4. Canon to come out with an all-optical 35mm adapter similar to what JVC did for their camera.

I'm sure I'll have more when I can think of it.

Chris Hurd
December 18th, 2007, 10:05 PM
1/2" 1920x1080 chips similar to the Sony EX1. If they switch to half-inch chips, then it's no longer an XL, plus all of the current XL lenses wouldn't be compatible. Anything can happen, but I'm willing to bet that they stick with third-inch chips to insure backward compatibility with the existing XL line of lenses.

Gabriel Berube
December 19th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Well, if Canon switches to 1/2" CMOS like the Sony EX1, one thing they might try with the XL-mount line would be to add a crop-factor option in the menu, pretty much like Nikon did with it's D3 DSLR.

On the new D3, a full-frame DSLR, you can still use DX (smaller and lighter lenses designed for the APS-C small-CCD format many digital cams use), but you won't have the 12 mpix resolution the D3 can offer because the lens will only crop to a smaller portion of the CMOS. So all in all, you can use full-frame or DX lenses on the D3, but there's a rather major drawback to using the later.

So, if Canon gets its XL-H2 to a 1/2" CMOS instead of 1/3" and they decide that it will support XL-mounts, chances are that our lenses will still be used (I'm crossing my fingers here), albeith with a crop factor that would result in a small resolution loss plus a zoom-in factor. I personnally sure hope they don't flush down the XL-mount, 'cuz its what made me go with Canon for a while, but hey, what do I know about marketing? I'm just a consumer! :-)

As for what I'd like on the XL-H2, I'd really love a tapeless solution like the EX1, that would be awesome!

Gabe

Dale Stoltzfus
December 19th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Tapeless and, along with that, a departure from HDV. Uncompressed audio, non-mpeg, non-GOP, 4:2:2, etc.

All manual lens!

Daniel Epstein
December 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM
As Dale Said An HD lens which allows you to zoom and focus at the same time. Iris ring has been mentioned. Better viewfinder has been mentioned. More steps in Custom presets (ala XHA1 XHG1) Separate Auto gain for audio tracks 1 + 2 so you could run a camera mic in Auto and a Radio mic in Manual
Option to record HDV 24P like the HV20.

Benjamin Hill
December 19th, 2007, 04:19 PM
XLRs that are independently switchable as mic/line, and the ability to use the on-board mic and an external mic simultaneously would make this a more viable camera.

Kevin Martorana
December 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM
oh...I forgot another one...since the mic was mentioned..

Give us an XLR on-board mic...not one with th elittle consumer dual mini plugs.

Kyle Prohaska
December 19th, 2007, 06:46 PM
On top of all the other additions...a P2 slot. :P

- Kyle

Michael Galvan
December 19th, 2007, 07:06 PM
LOL ... a P2 slot that records HDV to the card ...

That's like slapping Panasonic in the face :P

Nick Hiltgen
December 19th, 2007, 09:54 PM
"If they switch to half-inch chips, then it's no longer an XL, plus all of the current XL lenses wouldn't be compatible. Anything can happen, but I'm willing to bet that they stick with third-inch chips to insure backward compatibility with the existing XL line of lenses."

Chris I'm inclined to agree with you on that with the exception that they have that flashing "non compatable lens" light pop up when ever you drop one of the legacy xl lenses on, I think maybe having that crop factor consideration would be a good option. I would love for canon to release an all optical 35 adapter though (even spoke to them about for a bit) Additionally the conversion out of the SD slot should be switchable, had completely forgotten about that. Seems like that could be a firmware update as well.

As far as 50p and 60p I can't say that I would have much use for it, which isn't to say it shouldn't be done, I just personally wouldn't use it. The p2/expresscard thing would be pretty sweet if it was recording as .mov or editable format (without the long GOF format) so that you could then have an invtervalometer option on the camera, that would be pretty sweet.

Chris Hurd
December 19th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Chris I'm inclined to agree with you on that with the exception that they have that flashing "non compatable lens" light pop up when ever you drop one of the legacy xl lenses on...Hey Nick, not to split hairs but the warning that flashes in the EVF just says "HD Incompatible Lens" and goes away after a few seconds... and only when recording in HD mode.

Just saying, it's okay to dream big but I'm willing to bet that they stick with third-inch in order to keep the XL line, and P2, no way, the only P2 camcorders will be made by Panasonic. Sure would love to see tapeless though, as in AVC Intra. Or keep the tape transport but offer dual recording to flash memory... the SD card slot is already on the camera.

Dave Gosley
December 20th, 2007, 04:44 AM
A 1/4" jack for headphones...
Sorry if repeated - I did have a quick squint - maybe I squinted too tight....

Michael Galvan
December 20th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Just saying, it's okay to dream big but I'm willing to bet that they stick with third-inch in order to keep the XL line

I am also inclined to believe this as well as a top priority (with good reason for Canon would be to have all their XL accessories compatible.

But I'm sure that with the Sony making the move to 1/2" chips in a camera that costs less will make them have to respond in a similar (if not better) fashion sooner or later. Just like anything else, technology keeps getting better and better, and they will have to adopt to stay competitive. I'm sure if Panasonic reponds with a 1/2" camcorder, Canon be forced to find a way to make 1/2" chips work with their current line.

Interesting what competition can do ...

Nick Hiltgen
December 20th, 2007, 11:28 AM
OK chris fair enough, maybe they'll switch to a half inch but if you try to put a legacy lens on it'll say 1/2" incompatible lens" ;)

I do like the idea for a 1/4 inch jack though and I think if they went to something similar to a p2 card like expresscard 34 which would be the same only faster smaller and better... they wouldn't begin to tread in panasonics turf.

Chris Hurd
December 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM
What about half-inch body with a standard (not XL) mount to interface with the lenses Canon Broadcast is making for JVC Pro HD and Sony XDCAM? At this point it's no longer XL, but would you still be interested?

Dale Stoltzfus
December 20th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Personally, I think that would be cool, Chris. In fact, it would be great because a standard 1/2 mount would allow for a lot more lens options, AFAIK.

Gabriel Berube
December 20th, 2007, 01:02 PM
That would be a nice idea Chris, but I think that plus an optional (or given with the body, why not?) XL to standard adapter to fit XL mount lenses could still be workable at that point!

That way, XL users that don't want to part with their lens and only want a new cam body (I think that was one of the main reason why the XL mount was created) could still fit their older lenses (with the kind of menu resolution-switching I was talking about earlier). And those who could afford (or already own) standaard broadcast-type lenses would also be happy since they could fit their toys on a lighter cam body!

Looks like a win-win situation for me if CMOS size becomes the next 3B (Battle Between Brands)!

Gabe

Carl Ny
December 20th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Would be nice to keep the XL size as a possible 1/2 or 2/3 "XXL" version as the XL size,
and to that a possible XXL style 20x lens with OIS and AF as standard,
and the option to the regular HD/ ENG lenses.

Canon needs maybe to keep up with the competition with their "flagship" camcorder and move towards
the 1/2 club that will come...It feels the 1/3 HDV was before the HD really take/ took off.
So maybe we se an Canon "XXL" version as their flagship with 1/2 and the XHG/A2 will deal with the 1/3.
Everything will be bigger.

It´s a very interesting time now, and take for example the RED that have really
put everything upside down and put serious pressure on the competition
and jump many years a head even for Arri and Panavision.

Robert Sanders
December 20th, 2007, 05:47 PM
How about they discontinue the XL line altogether and start a new XZ line?

Basically a 1/2" CCD or CMOS Progressive camera with a 35mm relay/adapter system built "in the body" with either a PL mount (or a brand new Canon series of 35mm style lenses and a new XZ mount).

It would record AVC Intra full raster 1080P to memory cards, plus full spec HD-SDI output.

It would offer a newer body style (no more chain-saw body). Aesthetically, however, it can still offer notable Canon touches like the famed rotatory switch, XLR rear inputs, and black and red cosmetic touches.

;)

Dale Stoltzfus
December 20th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Robert,

Now THAT is an AWESOME.... dream!

If only that would happen....

Robert Sanders
December 20th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Robert,

Now THAT is an AWESOME.... dream!

If only that would happen....

LOL! Yup. And it would probably retail for $12,999 and the lenses would be introduced 12 months after that.

Still, I love my Canon cameras. They make great products. Just last to market.

Leon Lorenz
December 20th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I also would like to see Canon offer 1/2" chips in their flagship camera. Back in 1991 I bought my first camera, the Canon L1 in Hi8 and if I remember correctly it had a single 1/2" chip which was great for low light. I used this camera for 6 years in my spare time to shoot my first film Encountering Wildlife in the Canadian Rockies, thus my wildlife video business has taken off from there.

I hope Canon will also move the tape eject switch or put a cover over it as from time to time my gloved hand bumps it and ejects the tape when I'm setting up for a shot.

Leon Lorenz
www.wildlifevideos.ca

Kevin Martorana
December 20th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I truly like many of the "wish list" ideas that have been posted in this thread.

But I guess I'll go out on a limb. I realize I might get "castrated" for what I'm about to suggest...but here goes...

Take many of the suggestions and put them into a camera body or bodies that would do the following:

A larger version of a new Canon HD camera that is similar to the XDcam...large format. Large camera, big buttons...big lenses...and truly a great usable camera for large scale productions.

THEN...also make a smaller version that compliments this camera. A "little brother". (ie Sony XDCAM EX). A great portable, small camera with all the complimenting features of the larger version. You can then decide which camera to use for what type of job.

I truly have to tell you that XDCAM in the large format and the EX are cameras we're strongly considering in the next year.

I have been a big fan of the H1...never liking any of the previous XL cameras from Canon. I would like to see them get away from the "unusual" and uncomfortable camera body design.

I'm willing to stay with Canon...we've made money with their camera, love how it looks and LOVE the cost. I hope they are smart enough to look at a great forum like this and try to take ideas from all of us who make a living with their technology and make good decisions.

Okay...now you can all begin shooting !!!! :)

Nick Hiltgen
December 21st, 2007, 02:49 AM
Man I can't believe I'm going to say this but I think that canon probably shouldn't go the big camera route. I just don't see any market for it, It would probably be more expensive then the h1 and then you're getting into xdcam territory and it would involve a complete shift in design and a complete strategy shift. Canon has never really entered into the professional video cam world I can't imagine why they would want to at such a volatile time, especially given the current saturation of cams.

I would imagine a crossover camera that had a 35mm plane so that you could put all of your ef series lenses without introducing the 7.2x magnification. Basically combine an h1 with a 40d or something along those lines. There would be no need to introduce anymore xl series lenses (or ok, wait on anymore xl series lenses to be introduced) you could have it be a hybrid that would take high megapixel stills or hd video. I mean honestly there not that far away right now it's just getting past the concept of a shutter and recording the live viewfinder that's available on many of these cams now.

I don't however think canon will do any of this. If they would just introduce an 35mm ef adapter that has the same characteristics as the JVC 35mm adapter, that would be super awesome. If canon put it out (instead of someone like p+s) they could offer a firmware upgrade card with it, like they did with 6x which would allow you to flip the image everywhere, not just in the viewfinder. That's my wish/dream more then anything else that an xlh2 would offer. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult either.

I guess you combine that with "true 24p" or whatever you want to call it, how about just the same chips as the hv-20 only 1/3 inch and you've got the only things I'd use to shoot movies for another 3 years. (of course then I'd build up a huge collection of canon glass that I'd have to get rid of when they offered whatever new mount that would offer...

Paul V Doherty
December 21st, 2007, 03:14 AM
I second that motion:

It's about time someone made a camcorder or small shoulder-mount camera with BUILT IN 35mm adaptor and a standard 35mm SLR mount such as Nikon or Canon.
ALL of the problems of proper collimation and alignment would be eliminated by virtue of all of the optics from the 35mm ground glass through to the imaging sensor itself being PERMANENTLY and solidly mounted and calibrated by top-notch Canon or Panny or Sony factory robots.
Who knows, there might even be a small gain in f-stop performance compared to current third-party adaptors!

Jean-Philippe Archibald
December 21st, 2007, 08:01 AM
Yes, great idea!

They could even go with the APS (like the 40D) format if they do not want to compete directly with 35mm adapters.

Jonas Nystrom
December 23rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
IMHO I think larger sensors is the only way to the future. And is the 3CCD technique the right way..?

Otherwise a increase of the resolution and overcrank possibilties or up to 60-100 fps (progressive) should come in handy.

Paul Watkins
December 25th, 2007, 12:24 AM
4 things that will make this a top seller!

1. 3 1/2" ccd chips (increase low light, lattitude and DOF)
2. 4:2:2 at 1920x1080p using express cards
3. optional PL Mount film lens adapter (like the JVC HZ-CA13U)
4. in menu image flip

Lauri Kettunen
December 25th, 2007, 01:47 PM
And is the 3CCD technique the right way..?

Share same kind of view as Jonas. I suspect Canon will go the CMOS sensors and introduce a camera which has the standard EF-mount and come up with some special solution for the wide angle end. Maybe they can exploit the new sensors of their EOS-bodies and run them at the rate of 24-30 fps. Have you seen (the SD) video footages from the new Canon IXUS cameras? (They are pretty amazing when put aside with old XL-1 and XL-1s footages.) All this may well suggest 3CCD is fading out.

The fact that Canon has not introduced new lenses to the XL series may also indicate it's coming to the end of line. CMOS-sensor makes the lenses cheaper, so perhaps Canon doesn't even have an alternative. Furthermore, I think HDV is already water under the bridge from the manufacturers point of view.

Robert Sanders
December 26th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Also, if the camera recorded to drive and memory sticks, then 10-bit or 12-bit color would be a great bonus over the competition.

Mark Bournes
December 27th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Manual Lens would be nice

Chuck Fadely
December 27th, 2007, 08:33 PM
You guys think small!

How 'bout a Canon 1DS that shoots 60fps and has xlr audio with no clipping?

Now we're talking!

Actually, I'd like a more balanced shoulder mount cam that takes standard ENG lenses. And records to SD cards and tape at the same time in different resolutions... the new Sony that takes tape and CF cards sounds like a great thing to me!

Robert Sanders
December 28th, 2007, 01:31 PM
You guys think small!

How 'bout a Canon 1DS that shoots 60fps and has xlr audio with no clipping?

Now we're talking!

Actually, I'd like a more balanced shoulder mount cam that takes standard ENG lenses. And records to SD cards and tape at the same time in different resolutions... the new Sony that takes tape and CF cards sounds like a great thing to me!

That would pretty much be called the REDONE. LOL!

But hey, Canon's got all the equipment and technology right there at their fingertips. If they wanted to build a RED competitor, they could. They only need to figure out how to move that much data around at those rates. If a team of a dozen or so uber-nerds in Irvine can figure it out, I'm sure Canon could too.

Jacques Mersereau
January 8th, 2008, 04:22 PM
<EDIT>
Just saying, it's okay to dream big but I'm willing to bet that they stick with third-inch in order to keep the XL line, <EDIT>.

I hear you Chris, but FWIW, Canon amazingly listened very closely last time around when they asked for suggestions to upgrade the XL2. IF Canon checks those old posts, they will see that I suggested at that time Canon take two paths.

The first path I suggested back then was "evolutionary" upgrade and is the XL-H1 that is out now; 1/3rd inch chips, HDSDI out, timecode in/out, genlock and selectable viewfinder 'wireframe' aspect ratios, ability to
still able to work with Canon 35mm EOS lens and their EOS adapter.
(And yes I will take the credit for being the only guy asking for HDSDI, although I was called crazy by many.) The H1 has most everything I asked for with the exception of progressive CCDs and a great LCD, so . . .

I strongly believe the next step for Canon is the REVOLUTIONARY camera
I asked for back then. Essentially, they have been beaten to the market by Jim Jannard and Team Red, but Canon is a big time contender and I would love to see them in the 35mm glass competition.

Back then I asked for a single CMOS chip camcorder capable of using Canon 35 MM lens *natively*. I also asked for a high definition LCD or viewfinder (current H1 needs MUCH improvement!).

Two years ago I thought 1080P was a much resolution as I would ever need. After seeing the Peter Jackson short, I was mistaken. 4K is totally amazing.
If Canon's XL-SHD1 (super hi def) could output a variety of video formats including 4K RAW and 4:4:4 1080P, imbed audio and timecode in the stream HDSDI and get a real 1920x1200 pixel LCD, they would sell a lot of cameras and blow away the Sony EX1.

Jon Bickford
January 12th, 2008, 12:21 PM
over/under-craking.

35mm eos mount similar to JVC's 16m mount.

better latitude with the images.

better LCD.

that's it :)

Brendan Walsh
March 4th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Anyone think we could see a possible NAB release? There doesn't seem to be much talk of this, but I can wish.

Also, I second Jonas' idea of shooting up to 100 fps progressive. How amazing would that be!

David G. Burt
March 4th, 2008, 04:38 AM
ND filters built in to the camera body similar to the JVC, this will allow better exposure control with EF lenses & also no need to carry ND filters

Peter Jefferson
March 4th, 2008, 08:20 AM
My wishlist would consist of -

- Inbuilt CF writers x 2
- AVCIntra @ 25 or 50mbps
- Realtime HDV recording to tape (ie have 2 encoders within the cam, AVC for CF or HDV for tape recording at the same time for backup)
- Camera supplied with a Canon EF adapter
- More lens options for native HD Video acquisition (ie choice of zooms or primes, inbuilt stabilisers, auto functions etc etc)
- CCD stabiliser, as opposed to a stabiliser in the lens. This is seen in the Sony Alpha DSLRs, but obviously it wont be as effective as a lens OIS, but at least we can stabilse shots irresepective of the lens we choose
- For the A1/G1, a larger or "twin" LCD panel. Basically 2 panels set up much like a Nintendo DS. The top panel has our camera and shot settings, the lower panel has an uncluttered view of our shot. The top panel only has to be 320x240, as its only basic text data, so res isnt an issue. The res however can be squeezed into the second panel ;)
- Simultaneous XLR and internal mic recording
- XLR to inbuilt mic switching without going into a menu (How about a custom button for this?)
- Twin DigicII or DigicIII processors (as seen on their DSLRs)
- DSLR I-AF focus settings via joystick near the record on/off button. Much like the Canon DSLRs where you can select a focus point by shifting the joystick, give us this same option for video with a grid overlay of teh focal point selected.
Better yet, offer a touch screen LCD panel which can be allocated to a focus command ;)
As an example, allow us to "swipe" our finger across the screen to create a rack focus effect
- For the A1/G1 remove the standby slider from the record button.
- For A1/G1, remove the big mode wheel and replace it with instant access buttons.
As it stands, the wheel is a waste precious real estate. I'd rather have had a dial like the DSLR dials where the LCD locks into place atop the camera under the handle. A dial here or a sliding switch would have been perfect.
Then where the mode wheel lives now, have a side flipping LCD panel at 3+ inches. This would make the camera behave like a DVX, but hey, if it works...
This initial LCD lock down and mode wheel was a bad design IMO as to access WB and Mic attenuator, you MUST move the LCD panel from its home.
These buttons could have been accessed from the side of the camera without the need to molest the position of the LCD.
Less movement, means less shake during filming.
- For A1 a larger more accurate EVF with proper sunshade eyecup, which is calibrated to mirror the LCD panel. This way the image on the EVF is identical to the LCD without the need to tweak.
As it stands, its virtually impossible to have your EVF identical to the LCD
- Zebras running alongside peaking
- Peaking colour options which track the focal distance, as found in the JVC and Sony EX units. ie focal point is tracked by a different colour
- Exposure by numbers OR by light meter. give us this option
- Exposure by centred, left or right weighted average (as found in the DSLRs) This will ensure that hotspots are recognised irrespective of the position and included wthin the exposure reading, as opposed to only using a centre point which isn't always accurate with tight frames.
- LCD set to "what you see is what you get"
- An inbuilt painkiller dispenser ;)

Paul Doherty
March 4th, 2008, 03:48 PM
ND filters built in to the camera body similar to the JVC, this will allow better exposure control with EF lenses & also no need to carry ND filters

Good point! It would be great for those of us using EF lenses.

Peter Moretti
March 4th, 2008, 04:16 PM
... If Canon's XL-SHD1 (super hi def) could output a variety of video formats including 4K RAW and 4:4:4 1080P, imbed audio and timecode in the stream HDSDI and get a real 1920x1200 pixel LCD, they would sell a lot of cameras and blow away the Sony EX1.I'm not sure if this is true. Wouldn't recording and editing 4K RAW or 4:4:4 require significant upgrades to NLE software and hardware in many cases?

I'd LOVE to have a RED, but I don't know how the heck I could actually use 4K. Perhaps it's not as difficult as I'm making it out to be, but I think it is.

Kevin Wild
March 5th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I've been such a fan of Canon...but have to admit they are losing me soon as a customer. We have the H1, A1 & HV10.

The main reason I'm leaving the line is that I feel they are truly stuck in the prosumer realm and have not made an effort to move into the "Pro" world. That's fine, but I guess I have to move on.

For example, it's inexplicable to me that they came out with a nearly $10,000 camera with 24F with no compatible deck. I thought it was around the corner...surely the best solution is NOT to buy an HV10, like we did. A couple years later and that's still the best solution. Hardly pro.

The other one, as other have said, is the LCD. It's just crazy that you miss about 5% of your picture. Very non-pro, in my opinion to not have underscan that will show you the boom mic in your frame.

Another gripe is that they gave embedded audio in the little brother G1, right after I paid MORE for the H1. They really should have done something for existing customers for this, I think, or waited on shipping the H1 until it had embedded audio.

Sorry for the rant...we still use our H1 and LOVE the picture. But these things have really pushed me away. We have a RED on order (#2100ish), but for longer form event stuff, I may make the move to the new SONY HDV cameras. Can't wait for NAB this year.

Mike Rinkunas
March 5th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I completely agree with Kevin,

I'm a owner of 2 XL-1s's. While I love them, I realize its time to get on the HD train after seeing the amazing image from a client's XH-A1.

I'm honestly thinking of walking away from canon for the same reasons - no dedicated deck, no embedded audio in HD-SDI, crummy viewfinder.

For me to consider an XL-H2, all of those above issues would need to be resolved in addition I'd like to see either a truly manual HD lens offered, and a softer native image generated by this camera - something ala DVX-like

Hope you're listening canon otherwise i'm going to be the proud owner of JVC's 250 series soon.
~Mike

Floris van Eck
March 5th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I still think the image quality of the XL-H1 is truly amazing. However, there are so many things that annoy me. Crappy viewfinder, low resolution LCD in viewfinder, peaking does not work very well, no dedicated deck, front-heavy so very hard to balance on your shoulder (JVC has done this much better).

I am thinking of trading in my XL-H1 for a Sony PMW-EX1. It solves many of the problems I experience with my XL-H1 and the image quality seems to be equal or maybe even better. What I like is the ability to do over/undercranking in camera, the ability to timelapse with the frame interval mode (which all HDV cameras lack because of codec issues), a frame record mode for animation and of course NTSC/PAL switchable straight out of the box. Finally, from what I heard, the lens controls are much better.

Most things can be achieved with the XL-H1 as well but that requires big investments and a lot of time.

And I do think it is about time that canon updates or follows up the XL-H1. Technology goes fast and they have some catching up to do.

Jacques Mersereau
March 5th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I agree with you guys. I love my H1 for what it can do, but . . .

-The viewfinder is much too low res for "a professional" and doesn't show the full image.
Forget the FU1000. It's too clunky, power sucking and B&W only.

-The 1/3" CCD are interlaced and I hate interlaced video.

-24F although cool, has many issues that hobble it.

-35mm Canon lens are only just sharp enough when all settings (IRIS by use of ND filters is 5.6) and FOCUS are perfect.

-No embedded audio or time-code in HDSDI stream.

-Price is now higher than EX1.

- NO true over-crank.

We are about to purchase between 4-6 cameras for the video studio and with the arrival of the EX1, I cannot recommend the H1; it is just that simple.

I hope Joe B. and the folks at Canon are about to do something at NAB they haven't ever done before, debut the new H2 with many of the features described by those in this thread. The biggest being 35mm CMOS with ultra high resolution, 1080P HDSDI, great low light handling, high res. LCD, and over crank for $9K.

Yes, this is a TALL ORDER, but that is what Canon must do for the H2 if they want to stay competitive.

Kevin Martorana
March 5th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Well...I am a big fan of the H1...like many of you are...I have to tell you...I agree. Canon has alot of catching up to do...but I truly don't think this will happen.

There will be no H2 at NAB. Canon has not put R&D into advancing the line...
if there would be a follow up to the H1....some info would have leaked by now...even something.

In my opinion..the only thing that can keep our trusty H1's alive is the Convergence Connect Flash XDR....that they'll be unveiling at NAB. Recording to CF drives...at 100 megabit rates.

So...even though it's FUN to think about what COULD be...I have a sinking feeling there is not a follow up....at least this year.

Looks like I'm looking at an EX for portability...and a XDCam for full size productions....but then again this can all change by NAB !!! :)

Floris van Eck
March 6th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Kevin,

That Convergent Design Flash XDR device looks pretty neat. Although it will only solve one shortcoming: tape to uncompressed. Will it give you 1080i uncompressed or is the HD-SDI out 1080p on this camera?