What could canon add to the XL-H2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 18th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #1
Trustee

What could canon add to the XL-H2

I'm sorry for starting this, but it seems like canon is offering discounts and I wanted to get together all of the requests for the xl-h2, people seem to want it but I for one am not sure what could be offered.

1) HD-SDI with time code and audio embedded (this is a given)

2) Image flip everywhere not just the viewfinder

3) Some sort of internal hard drive recording option, I think expresscard 34 would work well with the form factor, pop a few in the back, I think it would work (file size) similarly to the fire store, but with interchangeability of the hvx. Don't know who would want it though.

This is all I have, which makes me wonder why canon would release a new version of the xl-h series. It's at about 2 years and there revision cycle is around 3, that coupled with the canon guys telling me that there wasn't much in the pipeline for the xl-h1 makes me think that after the promo period there may just be a price drop.

Does anyone else have suggestions? Comments?
Old December 18th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #2
Regular Crew

50p/60p PAL NTSC switchable, with better codec alow uncompressed audio.
alkim.
Old December 18th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #3
Major Player

I doubt the codec will change anytime soon, we're pretty much stuck with HDV for a while - unless of course it is tapeless, adopts a whole new codec, and etc...

Personally, I would opt for an improved image in the finder.. I imagine small LCDs have improved considerably in the 2 years since the H1's introduction - that has been my biggest complaint about the camera...

Even though I don't use my H1 any more (it's for sale actually) I still think it's the best of the breed, and any improvement will be icing on a pretty good cake...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #4
Major Player

I'd like to see a better viewfinder. B/W or color...doesn't matter...just better resolution.

Downcovert output options from the BNC/RCA analog output. Centerpunch 4x3 or letterbox 4x3. The A1 does this...

20x lens with iris ring ON the lens...like the 6x.

Standard strap holders on the handle...so a Portabrace strap can be attached. Those small "slits" are great for a little consumer strap...but can't be easily accomodated to a professional strap.
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #5
Major Player

1. Top of the list is a better viewfinder. After using the color LCD on the Sony EX1, the Canon's looks like once that can never look focused at all. The Sony has a 1920x480 LCD and it is a marvel for focusing. (I've actually sent some requests about making a hi-res color viewfinder to Canon ... let's see what they do ... Maybe I'll talk to their rep next time he's at B&H)

2. 1/2" 1920x1080 chips similar to the Sony EX1. True Progressive CCD or CMOS (although the F modes work quite well, indistinguishable from 24P, the P would just allow for no resolution loss)...

3. Embedded HD-SDI out ( a given as Nick pointed out). Or to be pompous and elitist, have dual-HD-SDI out to record to HDCAM SR or a 4:4:4 capable codec.

4. Canon to come out with an all-optical 35mm adapter similar to what JVC did for their camera.

I'm sure I'll have more when I can think of it.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
1/2" 1920x1080 chips similar to the Sony EX1.
If they switch to half-inch chips, then it's no longer an XL, plus all of the current XL lenses wouldn't be compatible. Anything can happen, but I'm willing to bet that they stick with third-inch chips to insure backward compatibility with the existing XL line of lenses.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Well, if Canon switches to 1/2" CMOS like the Sony EX1, one thing they might try with the XL-mount line would be to add a crop-factor option in the menu, pretty much like Nikon did with it's D3 DSLR.

On the new D3, a full-frame DSLR, you can still use DX (smaller and lighter lenses designed for the APS-C small-CCD format many digital cams use), but you won't have the 12 mpix resolution the D3 can offer because the lens will only crop to a smaller portion of the CMOS. So all in all, you can use full-frame or DX lenses on the D3, but there's a rather major drawback to using the later.

So, if Canon gets its XL-H2 to a 1/2" CMOS instead of 1/3" and they decide that it will support XL-mounts, chances are that our lenses will still be used (I'm crossing my fingers here), albeith with a crop factor that would result in a small resolution loss plus a zoom-in factor. I personnally sure hope they don't flush down the XL-mount, 'cuz its what made me go with Canon for a while, but hey, what do I know about marketing? I'm just a consumer! :-)

As for what I'd like on the XL-H2, I'd really love a tapeless solution like the EX1, that would be awesome!

Gabe
Gabriel Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #8
Major Player

Tapeless and, along with that, a departure from HDV. Uncompressed audio, non-mpeg, non-GOP, 4:2:2, etc.

All manual lens!
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #9
Trustee

As Dale Said An HD lens which allows you to zoom and focus at the same time. Iris ring has been mentioned. Better viewfinder has been mentioned. More steps in Custom presets (ala XHA1 XHG1) Separate Auto gain for audio tracks 1 + 2 so you could run a camera mic in Auto and a Radio mic in Manual
Option to record HDV 24P like the HV20.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #10
Major Player

XLRs that are independently switchable as mic/line, and the ability to use the on-board mic and an external mic simultaneously would make this a more viable camera.
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #11
Major Player

oh...I forgot another one...since the mic was mentioned..

Give us an XLR on-board mic...not one with th elittle consumer dual mini plugs.
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #12
Major Player

On top of all the other additions...a P2 slot. :P

- Kyle
Old December 19th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #13
Major Player

LOL ... a P2 slot that records HDV to the card ...

That's like slapping Panasonic in the face :P
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #14
Trustee

"If they switch to half-inch chips, then it's no longer an XL, plus all of the current XL lenses wouldn't be compatible. Anything can happen, but I'm willing to bet that they stick with third-inch chips to insure backward compatibility with the existing XL line of lenses."

Chris I'm inclined to agree with you on that with the exception that they have that flashing "non compatable lens" light pop up when ever you drop one of the legacy xl lenses on, I think maybe having that crop factor consideration would be a good option. I would love for canon to release an all optical 35 adapter though (even spoke to them about for a bit) Additionally the conversion out of the SD slot should be switchable, had completely forgotten about that. Seems like that could be a firmware update as well.

As far as 50p and 60p I can't say that I would have much use for it, which isn't to say it shouldn't be done, I just personally wouldn't use it. The p2/expresscard thing would be pretty sweet if it was recording as .mov or editable format (without the long GOF format) so that you could then have an invtervalometer option on the camera, that would be pretty sweet.
Old December 19th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen View Post
Chris I'm inclined to agree with you on that with the exception that they have that flashing "non compatable lens" light pop up when ever you drop one of the legacy xl lenses on...
Hey Nick, not to split hairs but the warning that flashes in the EVF just says "HD Incompatible Lens" and goes away after a few seconds... and only when recording in HD mode.

Just saying, it's okay to dream big but I'm willing to bet that they stick with third-inch in order to keep the XL line, and P2, no way, the only P2 camcorders will be made by Panasonic. Sure would love to see tapeless though, as in AVC Intra. Or keep the tape transport but offer dual recording to flash memory... the SD card slot is already on the camera.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders