View Full Version : VIXIA HV30 announced -- pics

Pages : [1] 2

Chris Hurd
January 7th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Basically it's the black body version of the HV20 with the added capability of 30p (still has 24p as before), a better flip-out LCD display panel (the same as found on the HG10 and HR10), and support for the large BP-2L24H battery (cam no longer shuts off when charging this batt). The zoom control is slightly larger and improved. All other specs are identical to the HV20. Available late Februrary 2008 with an MSRP of $999.

Chris Hurd
January 7th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Some HV30 pics... click to see 'em big...

Adam Perry
January 7th, 2008, 08:53 AM
wow thats much cooler looking. i think ill sit this model out though, but that is sweet. maybe this is a stupid question, but what does VIXIA stand for?

Jack Zhang
January 7th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I'll wait to see who'll be the first to introduce 3x1920x1080 sensors and 1920 recording in the same camera to the consumer market...

For now, I'm happy with my HC7.

Chris Hurd
January 7th, 2008, 09:21 AM
...what does VIXIA stand for?As an acronym? Nothing yet, unless you care to make something up!

It's just a badge, like Optura, Elura, etc. Why they chose to do it in all caps...?

Adam Perry
January 7th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Video
Is
Xcellent
Incredibly
Affordable

let it be written, let it be said. i know that was lame, haha.

Lawrence Bansbach
January 7th, 2008, 09:47 AM
The upgrades are nice, but Canon missed some opportunities with the HV30. I know it's a consumer camera, but for relatively little additional manufacturing cost, pulldown flags, greater manual control, and image flip could've been added. I'm not even suggesting that they might've considered a global-shutter CMOS imager (cheap, high-quality 1,920 x 1,280 global-shutter CMOS sensors probably don't exist yet). Still, the $999 MSRP is $100 lower than that of the HV20.

Paul Tauger
January 7th, 2008, 09:50 AM
wow thats much cooler looking. i think ill sit this model out though, but that is sweet. maybe this is a stupid question, but what does VIXIA stand for?
"Very Incremental Expansion of Internal Abilities"?

The HV30 really offers very little except 30p, and that's only of interest to those producing low-quality webcast material.

Wes Vasher
January 7th, 2008, 09:52 AM
While the shiny black surface on the top may look nice I would bet it shows more dirt/grease than the silver HV20. I have some glossy black electronics devices and I'm always wiping them off where as the HV20 always looks clean.

30p, no pull down... mmmmmm

Paul Tauger
January 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I'll wait to see who'll be the first to introduce 3x1920x1080 sensors and 1920 recording in the same camera to the consumer market...

The upgrades are nice, but Canon missed some opportunities with the HV30.

I think Canon was surprised by the reception afforded the HV20. What was supposed to be a consumer-only machine turned out to have significant appeal to prosumers and advanced amateurs. Canon will not want to undercut its market for the XH-A1 (and, indeed, I was saving up for one until I found out about the HV20). I'll bet that, as this line evolves, future "improvements" will center around things like 30p, which is of limited appeal to pros and advanced amateurs, but will not include things like better manual control, 3 sensors, better low-light capability, etc., as these will directly impact sales of Canon's prosumer line.

Adam Perry
January 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I know it's a consumer camera, but for relatively little additional manufacturing cost, pulldown flags, greater manual control, and image flip could've been added.

see, not only am i not surprised that there aren't more manual controls, i'm wondering if they take out some of the work arounds we've discovered on the HV20 to get more manual functions. it will be interesting to see. I know they said its the same inside, but imagine if they took out the half press photo button thing?

Oliver Reik
January 7th, 2008, 10:02 AM
In the German press release they also say that it RECORDS in 1920...

Wes Vasher
January 7th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I would hope more that Canon would recognize the success of this camcorder and work on a model that lives in between the HV20 and the XH-A1. It could basically be the HV20 sensor with all the manual controls that we want and a better lens at a higher price point.

Wes Vasher
January 7th, 2008, 10:04 AM
In the German press release they also say that it RECORDS in 1920...

Looks like HDV so it'll record 1440, not a bad thing.

EDIT More...

"Canon designed and manufactured HD CMOS Image Sensor for Full HD (1920 x 1080) image capture"

They said this about the HV20 which is true but the recorded image to tape is still going to be 1440.

Mike Brown
January 7th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Still, the $999 MSRP is $100 lower than that of the HV20.
It's also $100 lower than the new VIXIA HF10 dual flash memory camcorder, which seems to be positioned a little higher in some specs, such as 3.3 megapixel CMOS sensor vs. 2.96 megapixels on the HV30.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of HF10 vs. HV30, and which has the brighter future? Is tape-based recording going to be obsoleted within a few years?

Oliver Reik
January 7th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Looks like HDV so it'll record 1440, not a bad thing.

They definitely talk about recording in 'Full HD':

'Der HV30 speichert Full HD 1080i im HDV-Format auf MiniDV-Band.'

The German website slashcam.com shows these specs for recording for the PAL version, based on specs which they have received from Canon Germany:

MiniDV 720 x 576/50i
HDV 1920 x 1080/50i
HDV 1920 x 1080/25p

Ocean Zen
January 7th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I'm curious about the Pal version since it won't have 30p, there is not a lot of difference, between that and the HV20

But if they rewrite the HDV spec so it can record 1920x1080 - that's cool

PAL specs are in English here
http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/camcorders/high_definition_hd/hv30/index.asp

Adam Perry
doesnt the hv20 say the same thing though? to my knowledge there is no way to get full 1920 on a mini dv tape.

Wes Vasher
They definitely talk about recording in 'Full HD':

'Der HV30 speichert Full HD 1080i im HDV-Format auf MiniDV-Band.'

The German website slashcam.com shows these specs for recording for the PAL version, based on specs which they have received from Canon Germany:

MiniDV 720 x 576/50i
HDV 1920 x 1080/50i
HDV 1920 x 1080/25p

According to Canon's own press release on the HV20...

"The 1/2.7" CMOS image sensor acquires image information at 1920 x 1080"

http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20070131_hv20.html

Just because it captures 1920 doesn't mean that it writes it all to tape. If the HV30 is HDV then it will be recording 1440 to tape no matter how a press release plays with words.

Chris Hurd
January 7th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Hmm, not so sure about the "Full HD 1920" thing. That holds true for their new AVCHD flash memory camcorders (HF10 and HF100), those new AVCHD cams record 1920, but *not* the HV30 as there has been no change to the HDV spec that I'm aware of. I believe the German site may be in error. I'll check with my contacts at Canon USA for a clarification right away.

Remember what happens at the image sensor is not the same as what happens at the recording stage... these cams (HV 10 / 20 / 30) have a 1920 sensor but HDV records 1440.

Oliver Reik
January 7th, 2008, 10:40 AM
[... ]no matter how a press release plays with words.

Hmmmm... maybe the German translation ist wrong.

This is the english version of the PAL's version press release:

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Camcorders/High_Definition_HD/HV30/index.asp

It talks, like the US-press-release, just about a 'Full HD sensor'. No word about Full HD recording. :(

Ocean Zen
January 7th, 2008, 10:44 AM
from http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Camcorders/High_Definition_HD/HV30/index.asp

"these components integrate seamlessly to deliver superb HDV1080i (High Definition Video) images, recorded to tape."

Wes Vasher
January 7th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I would assume the HV30 replaces the HV20, wonder if this is a correct assumption.

Chris Hurd
January 7th, 2008, 11:04 AM
It is a replacement but you'll see both offered for sale (when the HV30 ships in Februrary) until the remaining HV20 stock is depleted (which shouldn't take long).

Chris Hurd
January 7th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Just because it captures 1920 doesn't mean that it writes it all to tape. If the HV30 is HDV then it will be recording 1440 to tape ...You are absolutely right. I have checked with my sources at Canon USA and the official answer is that there has been no change to the HDV specification. Like the HV10 and HV20 that came before it, the VIXIA HV30 has a 1920 x 1080 CMOS sensor and is writing HDV at 1440 x 1080 to tape. Hope this puts a wild and inaccurate rumor to rest,

Evan C. King
January 7th, 2008, 12:28 PM
This was the obvious play from Canon. With the way things are going when they bring out next years models AVCHD will probably be so far along they might not have an HDV model at all. There doesn't seem to be much point to messing with success in probably the format's last year or two as a consumer technology.

It'll still be in the pro space. What I'd really like to see is a slightly beefed up hv30 in a nicer larger body, but still smaller than a canon a1 with manual features and a focus/zoom ring, like a bigger version of the sony a1u for around 1600-1800 bucks.

Mike Brown
January 7th, 2008, 12:34 PM
This was the obvious play from Canon. With the way things are going when they bring out next years models AVCHD will probably be so far along they might not have an HDV model at all. There doesn't seem to be much point to messing with success in probably the format's last year or two as a consumer technology.
Given the limitations of the H.264 codec, isn't it likely that as the constraint of writing to tape is removed, some new codecs offering higher resolution and bitrates will emerge in prosumer camcorders?

Chris Barcellos
January 7th, 2008, 12:41 PM
The reason to stay with HV30 is because of your continuing desire to store footage on tape. Otherwise you go to VIXIA HF10--- assuming we get comparable image capability and AVCHD editing capabilities are comparable.

For me, although tape is inconvenient, its still the most reliable storage. Your raw footage is preserved, in a semi accessable format, and you can capture it over and over again, within limits, without fear of degradation.

HV30 is pretty in black, but it seems to me that if we start seeing close out sales on the HV20, and I am in the market for a second or 3rd camera like this, I would not hesitate to go with the HV20.

Wes Vasher
January 7th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Given the limitations of the H.264 codec, isn't it likely that as the constraint of writing to tape is removed, some new codecs offering higher resolution and bitrates will emerge in prosumer camcorders?

Cineform is working on getting their codec on silicon. Putting that in an affordable camera would be pretty slick, I'm not holding my breath.

Or just use Cineform's portable recorder (if they can get it out the door).

Ian G. Thompson
January 7th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Honestly, if and when Cineform comes out with their portable recorder, then for me, with my HV20, there would be no reason to upgrade to a new camera.

Michael Y Wong
January 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I too was hoping to to see something that would compete head on with the aging Sony A1u, but considering how close it may come to the Canon A1 (especially with used A1s plummeting in price) i can't see that happening.

30p is a definate plus for me, and considering that I've been waiting on an hv20 to compliment my A1, hv30 it is.

It REALLY would have been nice to have the hv30 record in 24p mode without the 3:2 60i pulldown.

Luis A. Diaz
January 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM
They missed the Lanc control again, and the 24P pulldown conversion I'm very happy with my HV-10 and HV-20.
I'll pass on the HV-30 if that is all they are offering.

Luis

Michael Y Wong
January 7th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Anyone know if if the 30P mode on this badboy will be stored using the Canon 30F system? Or will it be 30P shooting and saved on the standard 60i timeline (similar to what the hv20/sony v1u 1080p24-> 3:2 pulldown to fit on a 60i timeline).

Would really be awesome if the 1080p24/30 output on this little can be outputted in 24F/30F frame mode.!!

Chris Hurd
January 7th, 2008, 08:09 PM
They missed the Lanc control againLANC disappeared from Canon consumer camcorders years ago and it will not be coming back, sorry.

Anyone know if if the 30P mode on this badboy will be stored using the Canon 30F system? 30F needs three CCD image sensors to work, and the HV30 has a single CMOS sensor, so Frame mode acquisition is not possible. It is 30P, not 30F (however it will play back both 24F and 30F Frame mode video from an XL or XH series camcorder).

Or will it be 30P shooting and saved on the standard 60i timeline (similar to what the hv20/sony v1u 1080p24-> 3:2 pulldown to fit on a 60i timeline).Yes it is 30P in a 60i timeline. No need for pulldown though.

Michael Y Wong
January 7th, 2008, 08:32 PM
^^

Thanx Chris, now I know why you run this place :)

Wes Vasher
January 7th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Being able to have progressive and not worry about pull-down removal would really be a huge time saver. With so much video being made for the Internet/YouTube I see these camcorders being a great option in 30p mode for those types of projects.

Jon Fairhurst
January 8th, 2008, 04:30 AM
In addition to more manual controls, I'd love to see zebras or some other tool for setting exposure.

The Pana GS400 had zebras and rings. Has any consumer camera had them since?

Eugenia Loli-Queru
January 8th, 2008, 04:34 AM
The HV20 has zebra support...

Charles Wu
January 8th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Yes it is 30P in a 60i timeline. No need for pulldown though.
How to capture 30P footages from 60i timeline?
Does it still need flags?

Philippe Messier
January 8th, 2008, 10:41 PM
"The Pana GS400 had zebras and rings. Has any consumer camera had them since?"

Yes,...the HC1 has it.

Michael Y Wong
January 8th, 2008, 10:50 PM
my best guess is that it takes a single 30pprogressive frame and splits it into 2 60i fields. u will need to a deinterlace to restore back to original progressive frame

How to capture 30P footages from 60i timeline?
Does it still need flags?

Charles Wu
January 8th, 2008, 11:31 PM
my best guess is that it takes a single 30pprogressive frame and splits it into 2 60i fields. u will need to a deinterlace to restore back to original progressive frame

I think it iust the same as we shoot HV20 in HDV mode(60i) using 1/30 shutter because HV10/20/30 has a progressive CMOS, am I right???

Dave Blackhurst
January 9th, 2008, 12:49 AM
In addition to more manual controls, I'd love to see zebras or some other tool for setting exposure.

The Pana GS400 had zebras and rings. Has any consumer camera had them since?

HC1, 3, 5, 7, etc, etc... CX7... and of course the HV20 and presumably the new ones!

Chris Hurd
January 9th, 2008, 08:37 AM
my best guess is that it takes a single 30pprogressive frame and splits it into 2 60i fields. u will need to a deinterlace to restore back to original progressive frameBingo. Standard operating procedure which hasn't changed from the SD days of digital video. The two fields per frame are created at the same time and therefore do *not* have a 1/60th second time separation between them that normal interlace video has.

Charles Wu
January 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Bingo. Standard operating procedure which hasn't changed from the SD days of digital video. The two fields per frame are created at the same time and therefore do *not* have a 1/60th second time separation between them that normal interlace video has.
So, it would be much easy to convert to 30P than 24P in HV20. Good news!
Thanks you.

Daymon Hoffman
January 10th, 2008, 02:06 AM

Is this what we should be doing in PAL land for 25p shot footage on the HV20?

Gosh i wish there were a few more additions to the HV30. Does anyone think they will give us proper metadata (or stream info) to show 24/25/30p flags etc? Woudlnt be to bad if this little gem of an update made it in. Though still not worth upgrading for 99.5% of HV20 owners.

Chris Hurd
January 10th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Does anyone think they will give us proper metadata (or stream info) to show 24/25/30p flags etc?No change here, sorry (by the way pulldown flags are not needed for 25P or 30P).

John Benton
January 10th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Yeah,
but I just purchased my HV20.
So I returned it to B&H and will wait for the HV30
for me the better LCD (as I am using this with a 35mm adapter) is great.
30p is nice too.
enough of a reason to wait for a month

Walter Hunt
January 13th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Who are these yo-yos who say "30p is of little use to pros"? MANY "Pros" think 30p actually looks better than 24p. And no problem with judder. I might pick up one of these just for the 30p. Some of you have obviously been blinded by the "24p" hype. That's all it is folks... hype. Shallow DOF has MUCH more to do with your heralded "film look" than frame rate.

When one of you gets the HV30... do a little test between 24p and 30p for the shutterbugs here.. then be honest with yourself regarding which one actually looks better.

Pedanes Bol
January 13th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Will the final product of shooting at 30p, importing to NLE and then exporting as a 24p file give the same film effect as the final product of shooting at 24p, removing pull-down, importing to NLE and then exporting as 24p? The reason I am asking is the removal of pulldown procedure is time-consuming (especially when there are no flags), and I was wondering whether one can achieve the same film effect simply by reducing the number of frames per second to 24 during export of a footage already shot and captured at 30 fps?

P.