VIXIA HV30 announced -- pics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 7th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

VIXIA HV30 announced -- pics

Basically it's the black body version of the HV20 with the added capability of 30p (still has 24p as before), a better flip-out LCD display panel (the same as found on the HG10 and HR10), and support for the large BP-2L24H battery (cam no longer shuts off when charging this batt). The zoom control is slightly larger and improved. All other specs are identical to the HV20. Available late Februrary 2008 with an MSRP of $999.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Some HV30 pics... click to see 'em big...
Attached Thumbnails
VIXIA HV30 announced -- pics-hv30oblique2.jpg   VIXIA HV30 announced -- pics-hv30side.jpg  

VIXIA HV30 announced -- pics-hv30obliqueopen.jpg   VIXIA HV30 announced -- pics-hv30obliqueclosed.jpg  

VIXIA HV30 announced -- pics-hv30sideopen.jpg  

Old January 7th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

wow thats much cooler looking. i think ill sit this model out though, but that is sweet. maybe this is a stupid question, but what does VIXIA stand for?
Adam Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I'll wait to see who'll be the first to introduce 3x1920x1080 sensors and 1920 recording in the same camera to the consumer market...

For now, I'm happy with my HC7.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Perry View Post
...what does VIXIA stand for?
As an acronym? Nothing yet, unless you care to make something up!

It's just a badge, like Optura, Elura, etc. Why they chose to do it in all caps...?

Old January 7th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Video
Is
Xcellent
Incredibly
Affordable

let it be written, let it be said. i know that was lame, haha.
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #7
Major Player

The upgrades are nice, but Canon missed some opportunities with the HV30. I know it's a consumer camera, but for relatively little additional manufacturing cost, pulldown flags, greater manual control, and image flip could've been added. I'm not even suggesting that they might've considered a global-shutter CMOS imager (cheap, high-quality 1,920 x 1,280 global-shutter CMOS sensors probably don't exist yet). Still, the $999 MSRP is $100 lower than that of the HV20.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Perry View Post
wow thats much cooler looking. i think ill sit this model out though, but that is sweet. maybe this is a stupid question, but what does VIXIA stand for?
"Very Incremental Expansion of Internal Abilities"?

The HV30 really offers very little except 30p, and that's only of interest to those producing low-quality webcast material.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #9
Major Player

While the shiny black surface on the top may look nice I would bet it shows more dirt/grease than the silver HV20. I have some glossy black electronics devices and I'm always wiping them off where as the HV20 always looks clean.

30p, no pull down... mmmmmm
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
I'll wait to see who'll be the first to introduce 3x1920x1080 sensors and 1920 recording in the same camera to the consumer market...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bansbach View Post
The upgrades are nice, but Canon missed some opportunities with the HV30.
I think Canon was surprised by the reception afforded the HV20. What was supposed to be a consumer-only machine turned out to have significant appeal to prosumers and advanced amateurs. Canon will not want to undercut its market for the XH-A1 (and, indeed, I was saving up for one until I found out about the HV20). I'll bet that, as this line evolves, future "improvements" will center around things like 30p, which is of limited appeal to pros and advanced amateurs, but will not include things like better manual control, 3 sensors, better low-light capability, etc., as these will directly impact sales of Canon's prosumer line.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
I know it's a consumer camera, but for relatively little additional manufacturing cost, pulldown flags, greater manual control, and image flip could've been added.
see, not only am i not surprised that there aren't more manual controls, i'm wondering if they take out some of the work arounds we've discovered on the HV20 to get more manual functions. it will be interesting to see. I know they said its the same inside, but imagine if they took out the half press photo button thing?
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #12
Regular Crew

In the German press release they also say that it RECORDS in 1920...
Oliver Reik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #13
Major Player

I would hope more that Canon would recognize the success of this camcorder and work on a model that lives in between the HV20 and the XH-A1. It could basically be the HV20 sensor with all the manual controls that we want and a better lens at a higher price point.
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Reik View Post
In the German press release they also say that it RECORDS in 1920...
Looks like HDV so it'll record 1440, not a bad thing.

EDIT More...

"Canon designed and manufactured HD CMOS Image Sensor for Full HD (1920 x 1080) image capture"

They said this about the HV20 which is true but the recorded image to tape is still going to be 1440.
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Still, the $999 MSRP is $100 lower than that of the HV20.
It's also $100 lower than the new VIXIA HF10 dual flash memory camcorder, which seems to be positioned a little higher in some specs, such as 3.3 megapixel CMOS sensor vs. 2.96 megapixels on the HV30.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of HF10 vs. HV30, and which has the brighter future? Is tape-based recording going to be obsoleted within a few years?
Mike Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders