VIXIA HV30 announced -- pics - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 30th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #76
Major Player

Who's surprised?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
But that should come as no surprise. Canon hasn't had LANC on a consumer camcorder for years, and it's not likely to ever come back.
Yes, Chris, as you have said before. On the other hand, if enough potential customers mention it, if only in passing and with resigned acceptance, maybe someone at Canon will feel a pang of guilt? IMO, it is such a serious omision on a not-very-cheap camcorder. Handsome is as handsome does, and it is such a shame that this really useful feature is still missing from an otherwise very well-judged camera. I'll probably still go for an HV20, but I'm going to check out the little Sony HDV cams first, just in case one of them has LANC.
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #77
Regular Crew

LaNC on the Canon

You said Mark, I too would have jumped all over the HV-30 if at least it would have a Lanc port. Instead you have to end up improvising with Toslink cables, Velcro straps, and right angle connectors, to use with their remote control. if you want to have some of the most basic needs, like start/stop, zoom in/out etc... from a tripod handle to avoid camera movement. Canon has fallen way
behind in the Accessory Dept. to compliment the fine cameras they produce.

I would gladly pay for an accessory that would put out to make the camera more user friendly. (They use to be very good at it) I don't know why they stopped.
Overall, I think the HV-30 upgrade is a big Joke.
I hope they bring something new and usefull next time around.
Thanks,

Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:03 PM   #78
Trustee

I looked at the specs of the HV20 vs. the HV30 and I didn;t see anything that makes me think the LCD is better on the HV30. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:15 PM   #79
Obstreperous Rex

Specs don't tell you everything. What you're missing is that the new HV30 borrows the flip-out LCD display from the previous HG10 and HR10 camcorders. It's better than the one on the HV20 because it's brighter with better color accuracy, and allows for accurate viewing from an angle (hence the term "multi-angle viewing" on this LCD display). Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #80
Trustee

Thanks Chris. That does help. However I was hoping for more resolution rather than better viewing angles or color. Good to have though.

THanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #81
Obstreperous Rex

Some more info about the HV30's flip-out LCD panel:

"The HV30 uses a Multi-Angle Vivid LCD panel, which is the same panel used in the HG10, HR10, and new VIXIA HF10 and HF100 models. This screen allows a wide viewing angle up to 135 degrees vertical and 135 horizontal. This screen also offers a wider color gammut. The resolution of the screen has not been changed.

In contrast, the HV20's LCD offered viewing of 95 degrees vertical and 80 degrees horizontal. The color gammut is significantly more narrow compared with the newer LCD."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders