View Full Version : Picture profile question

Sami Sanpakkila
January 23rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
hi all,

Im shooting a music video tomorrow and I wanted to ask about the picture profiles. So far Ive not played with the picture profiles much. But Im currently shooting with one with every setting at preset except using Cine4.

I like the way Cine4 eases the overexposed parts if there are any. But the problem is that if shooting a cloudy sky for example you loose a lot of latitude in the clouds. It kinda dulls them a lot.

So my question is does the Cine4 setting do something that I am not able to do in post? And should I just shoot with PP off?

Thanks!

Sami

Eric Pascarelli
January 23rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Cine 4 opens up the shadows (as well as rolling off the highlights), which is something that if you did in post, would probably reveal more noise and compression artifacts than if you did it in camera, before the codec.

Sami Sanpakkila
January 23rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
thanks Eric! So I think the safest bet is to choose the mode according to what Im shooting.

sami

Eric Pascarelli
January 23rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
There's always that delicate balance of doing some adjustment before the codec for the best possible quality, but leaving yourself enough options in post.

I always favor a a reasonably flat image with as much info as possible, and then throw it away later when grading.

But others have completely different appraoches, especially if they won't be talking the images though post.

It really depends, as you said, on the shot, and the workflow and nature of the job.