View Full Version : Clone a disc with a mac

Jeremy Doyle
January 29th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Is there anyway to clone and XDCAM disc? I saw somewhere that it could be done with PC software, but we are all mac.

We have a couple 330's a 350 along with 75 and a couple PDW-U1 drives.

Mike Watson
January 29th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I want to say you can make a disk image of an XDCam disk, though I've not tried it. Use the standard disk image procedure, and let us know how it turns out.

Greg Boston
January 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I want to say you can make a disk image of an XDCam disk, though I've not tried it. Use the standard disk image procedure, and let us know how it turns out.

No, you can't use Disk Utility to clone the disc. I have tried that before.

I don't know how much cloning you need to do though. Just copying the 4 directories to a sub folder on a hard drive allows the software to see the folder just like it was the actual disc attached.

-gb-

Jeremy Doyle
January 30th, 2008, 08:53 AM
All I want to do is make an exact copy of the disc to another disc. Can I do this by just dragging the folders to my computer than putting in a blank disc and dragging them back?

Jeremy Doyle
January 30th, 2008, 11:03 AM
dropping and dragging didn't work. Any other ideas?

Greg Boston
January 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM
dropping and dragging didn't work. Any other ideas?

You'd have to import all the clips and then turn around and use XDCAM Export to put them on another disc.

-gb-

Jeremy Doyle
January 30th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I was able to transfer 3 clips using XDCAM transfer than I started getting a pop up window saying export failed - error writing MXF file.

I can export 1 at a time using the camera, but cannot batch export or I get the error at about 43 percent of the first clip.

The 30 deck gives me errors right away.

Am I getting these errors because my firmware is not up to date? I'm positive the camera is, not so sure about the deck.

Somethings not working right, I just can't figure it out.

Jeremy Doyle
January 30th, 2008, 02:46 PM
When I do them 1 at a time they are mostly successful, when I try do a batch it fails right away and when I try to export a sequence it fails right away.

Maybe something to do with the way it reads the XML?

Mike Watson
January 31st, 2008, 09:12 PM
Jeremy, I've had that problem since day one, and been over it and over it with Sony tech support. In my experience, it's never gotten any better. I finally developed workarounds that allow me to archive to hard drive, which is cheaper anyway.

The bright side is that when shooting, the camera seems 100%. Ever since moving to 35Mbit (from 25Mbit), I've never seen an artifact in raw footage. The down side is we still can't write back to disk. I suspect this is the reason they recalled the U-1's -- that they're still battling it.

Simon Wyndham
February 1st, 2008, 04:47 AM
Another feature the Mac software lacks compared to the PC. The list goes on.

Jeremy Doyle
February 1st, 2008, 11:16 AM
J I suspect this is the reason they recalled the U-1's -- that they're still battling it.

I hadn't heard that they recalled the U-1's. We just received 2 of 6 that we ordered. Can you point me in a direction of my more details regarding this recall?

Greg Boston
February 1st, 2008, 11:29 AM
I was able to transfer 3 clips using XDCAM transfer than I started getting a pop up window saying export failed - error writing MXF file.

I can export 1 at a time using the camera, but cannot batch export or I get the error at about 43 percent of the first clip.

The 30 deck gives me errors right away.

Am I getting these errors because my firmware is not up to date? I'm positive the camera is, not so sure about the deck.

Somethings not working right, I just can't figure it out.

Do you have a RAID array on your system? If so, try disabling it. There are known issues of incompatibility with the ProDisc driver and some RAID drivers.

Also, if your source material resides on an external FW disc, make sure you don't have the camera/deck attached to the same FW bus. A big no-no. Either install a separate FW card and separate the two, or move your clips to an internal drive before exporting to camera/deck.

Import/export failures are typically one of three issues. Bus collisions, driver incompatibilities, or, the camera/deck is not set to the same mode as the clips being exported. That last one bit me in the A@# on my first export attempts. If, for example, your clips are 1080 30P with 4 channel audio, then the camera or deck must be set to match or the export will fail. FCP also has to have audio out set to dual mono and not stereo for export to work, if you are exporting a sequence.

-gb-

Kenneth Johnson
February 1st, 2008, 11:45 AM
their is a program called superdupper that can clone a mac disk. I have and use this program. Last year switched to a mac and love it. this program can make a bootable clone, or just copy files.

ken

Jeremy Doyle
February 1st, 2008, 01:24 PM
Do you have a RAID array on your system? If so, try disabling it. There are known issues of incompatibility with the ProDisc driver and some RAID drivers.

I'm on an xraid with SanMp software. If this is the problem then there's no way around it because the media lives on the array.

Also, if your source material resides on an external FW disc, make sure you don't have the camera/deck attached to the same FW bus. A big no-no. Either install a separate FW card and separate the two, or move your clips to an internal drive before exporting to camera/deck.

I don't have any firewire drives hooked up.

Import/export failures are typically one of three issues. Bus collisions, driver incompatibilities, or, the camera/deck is not set to the same mode as the clips being exported. That last one bit me in the A@# on my first export attempts. If, for example, your clips are 1080 30P with 4 channel audio, then the camera or deck must be set to match or the export will fail. FCP also has to have audio out set to dual mono and not stereo for export to work, if you are exporting a sequence.

I'm able to export one at a time, I just can't batch export. As far as settings being the same, I received pop up messages when they were mismatched so all I had to do was change them. I actually thought it was nice to get pop up warnings instead of having to figure that out on my own.

Mike Watson
February 1st, 2008, 11:31 PM
I hadn't heard that they recalled the U-1's. We just received 2 of 6 that we ordered. Can you point me in a direction of my more details regarding this recall?

They were shipped in December and back in the factory in January. It's my understanding they're back on the street now. I haven't seen mine.

Kenneth Preston
April 20th, 2008, 01:02 PM
This is a topic I'd like to get info on too. I don't particularly care if I use a MAC or a PC really, I just want to find a way to make clones of the XDCam discs.

I tried the PDZ1 software and the FAM copy and FTP copy functions. The FAM copy (after hours of trying to get it to work) generated errors and I think I got one file copied which took a long time. The FTP Copy also eventually worked but took almost 2 hours to clone a 45 minute disc! Sony can't possibly think this is the way to go?

Anybody have a solution to this issue? There must be a way to do this file transfer in "faster than real time." If not, it's insane.