Clone a disc with a mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old January 29th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Clone a disc with a mac

Is there anyway to clone and XDCAM disc? I saw somewhere that it could be done with PC software, but we are all mac.

We have a couple 330's a 350 along with 75 and a couple PDW-U1 drives.
Jeremy Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #2
Trustee

I want to say you can make a disk image of an XDCam disk, though I've not tried it. Use the standard disk image procedure, and let us know how it turns out.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
I want to say you can make a disk image of an XDCam disk, though I've not tried it. Use the standard disk image procedure, and let us know how it turns out.
No, you can't use Disk Utility to clone the disc. I have tried that before.

I don't know how much cloning you need to do though. Just copying the 4 directories to a sub folder on a hard drive allows the software to see the folder just like it was the actual disc attached.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Major Player

All I want to do is make an exact copy of the disc to another disc. Can I do this by just dragging the folders to my computer than putting in a blank disc and dragging them back?
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #5
Major Player

dropping and dragging didn't work. Any other ideas?
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Doyle View Post
dropping and dragging didn't work. Any other ideas?
You'd have to import all the clips and then turn around and use XDCAM Export to put them on another disc.

-gb-
Old January 30th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #7
Major Player

xdcam export

I was able to transfer 3 clips using XDCAM transfer than I started getting a pop up window saying export failed - error writing MXF file.

I can export 1 at a time using the camera, but cannot batch export or I get the error at about 43 percent of the first clip.

The 30 deck gives me errors right away.

Am I getting these errors because my firmware is not up to date? I'm positive the camera is, not so sure about the deck.

Somethings not working right, I just can't figure it out.
Old January 30th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Major Player

When I do them 1 at a time they are mostly successful, when I try do a batch it fails right away and when I try to export a sequence it fails right away.

Maybe something to do with the way it reads the XML?
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:12 PM   #9
Trustee

Jeremy, I've had that problem since day one, and been over it and over it with Sony tech support. In my experience, it's never gotten any better. I finally developed workarounds that allow me to archive to hard drive, which is cheaper anyway.

The bright side is that when shooting, the camera seems 100%. Ever since moving to 35Mbit (from 25Mbit), I've never seen an artifact in raw footage. The down side is we still can't write back to disk. I suspect this is the reason they recalled the U-1's -- that they're still battling it.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:47 AM   #10
Trustee

Another feature the Mac software lacks compared to the PC. The list goes on.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:16 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
J I suspect this is the reason they recalled the U-1's -- that they're still battling it.
I hadn't heard that they recalled the U-1's. We just received 2 of 6 that we ordered. Can you point me in a direction of my more details regarding this recall?
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:29 AM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
I was able to transfer 3 clips using XDCAM transfer than I started getting a pop up window saying export failed - error writing MXF file.

I can export 1 at a time using the camera, but cannot batch export or I get the error at about 43 percent of the first clip.

The 30 deck gives me errors right away.

Am I getting these errors because my firmware is not up to date? I'm positive the camera is, not so sure about the deck.

Somethings not working right, I just can't figure it out.
Do you have a RAID array on your system? If so, try disabling it. There are known issues of incompatibility with the ProDisc driver and some RAID drivers.

Also, if your source material resides on an external FW disc, make sure you don't have the camera/deck attached to the same FW bus. A big no-no. Either install a separate FW card and separate the two, or move your clips to an internal drive before exporting to camera/deck.

Import/export failures are typically one of three issues. Bus collisions, driver incompatibilities, or, the camera/deck is not set to the same mode as the clips being exported. That last one bit me in the A@# on my first export attempts. If, for example, your clips are 1080 30P with 4 channel audio, then the camera or deck must be set to match or the export will fail. FCP also has to have audio out set to dual mono and not stereo for export to work, if you are exporting a sequence.

-gb-
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:45 AM   #13
Regular Crew

their is a program called superdupper that can clone a mac disk. I have and use this program. Last year switched to a mac and love it. this program can make a bootable clone, or just copy files.

ken
Kenneth Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 01:24 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Do you have a RAID array on your system? If so, try disabling it. There are known issues of incompatibility with the ProDisc driver and some RAID drivers.
I'm on an xraid with SanMp software. If this is the problem then there's no way around it because the media lives on the array.

Quote:
Also, if your source material resides on an external FW disc, make sure you don't have the camera/deck attached to the same FW bus. A big no-no. Either install a separate FW card and separate the two, or move your clips to an internal drive before exporting to camera/deck.
I don't have any firewire drives hooked up.

Quote:
Import/export failures are typically one of three issues. Bus collisions, driver incompatibilities, or, the camera/deck is not set to the same mode as the clips being exported. That last one bit me in the A@# on my first export attempts. If, for example, your clips are 1080 30P with 4 channel audio, then the camera or deck must be set to match or the export will fail. FCP also has to have audio out set to dual mono and not stereo for export to work, if you are exporting a sequence.
I'm able to export one at a time, I just can't batch export. As far as settings being the same, I received pop up messages when they were mismatched so all I had to do was change them. I actually thought it was nice to get pop up warnings instead of having to figure that out on my own.
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:31 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
I hadn't heard that they recalled the U-1's. We just received 2 of 6 that we ordered. Can you point me in a direction of my more details regarding this recall?
They were shipped in December and back in the factory in January. It's my understanding they're back on the street now. I haven't seen mine.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts