View Full Version : Getting Signal from DJ

Denny Kyser
March 6th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Ok, I have a Sennheiser wireless system with a module, and lav mic. When I say module, I mean a transmitter that hooks to an XLR mic, or line I am thinking.

Would I hook this to an XLR cable to a line out from a DJ and go as a line in to my XH A1?

I just dont want to look like an idiot when I ask the dj to set up a signal for me.

Any sugestions, ideas or what not to do's.

Thanks

Seth Bloombaum
March 6th, 2008, 08:57 PM
You need to straighten out whether that (cube?) transmitter can take line level in - this is pretty important. If it's mic-level only, line level will likely overmodulate and distort big time.

Likely the DJ doesn't have mic level for you, if not, you'd need to pad his line level down to mic - maybe.

Wires are better than wireless for this, unless you must be mobile with the camera.

Generally, you need to carry a small kit of stuff to pull from a mixer operated by Joe DJ, especially when JOe doesn't know much about sound. Sadly, this is frequently the case with DJs. Such a kit might include 1/4-1/4" cable, direct box aka DI, RCA phono to 1/4", a line-to-mic pad, and whatever cable you need into your camcorder.

Many folks just don't bother and mic a speaker cabinet. At least then you're in control of the signal chain - your mic hears what people in the room are hearing. The mic needs to be capable of handling high volumes...

Brooks Harrington
March 6th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Tell use what you have exactly. What model Senn? Do you have the Lav and transmitter, plus the extra transmitter that plugs directly into a mic?

If you are trying to connect a line level signal to a Senn G2 transmitter you would need something like this cable.

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=204&cat=27&page=1

If you are trying to connect a mic level signal to a Senn G2 transmitter you would need something like this cable.

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=205&cat=27&page=1

Denny Kyser
March 6th, 2008, 10:10 PM
This is the package I have, use the lavalier system often, never have used the transmitter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/324228-REG/Sennheiser_EW100ENGG2_B_Evolution_G2_100_Series.html

My camera has a switch for the incoming receiver to select line or mic,

Ty Ford
March 6th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Ok, I have a Sennheiser wireless system with a module, and lav mic. When I say module, I mean a transmitter that hooks to an XLR mic, or line I am thinking.

Would I hook this to an XLR cable to a line out from a DJ and go as a line in to my XH A1?

I just dont want to look like an idiot when I ask the dj to set up a signal for me.

Any sugestions, ideas or what not to do's.

Thanks

Hello Denny,

What does the manual say about what to plug the plug on module into?
Most of the time these devices are used with mics.
That means you'd want a mic level.
If the mixer doesn't have one, you need a line to mic pad. Shure makes them.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Denny Kyser
March 6th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the help so far, I will be using two Canon XH-A1's and one can be close to the DJ so I can run a XLR plug from his mixer to the camera, and select Line in, instead of mic for one channel, and use my Sennheiser ME66 Shotgun Mic for the other channel.

I am guessing his line out would be an XLR output, anyone know if this is the normal.

Sacha Rosen
March 6th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I'm a dj, and most dj mixers only have rca or 1/4 inch out...Some do have xlr but I wouldn't count on it.

Denny Kyser
March 6th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I'm a dj, and most dj mixers only have rca or 1/4 inch out...Some do have xlr but I wouldn't count on it.

Thanks alot, I will plan to have a 1/4 out to XLR in.

Like mentioned above, I also have the option of just putting a mic on a speaker and this may be the easiest setup.

Steve Oakley
March 7th, 2008, 12:26 AM
plan that most DJ mixers are RCA and -20 line level outs.

I'd get a RCA->XLR conntector and a RCA M -> 2 F splitter because some low budget DJ may not have more then one out.

then you _will_ run into guys just playing off a laptop with NO mixer. then you need a 1/8 spiltter... or just mic the speaker and be done with it.

Denny Kyser
March 7th, 2008, 12:50 AM
plan that most DJ mixers are RCA and -20 line level outs.

I'd get a RCA->XLR conntector and a RCA M -> 2 F splitter because some low budget DJ may not have more then one out.

then you _will_ run into guys just playing off a laptop with NO mixer. then you need a 1/8 spiltter... or just mic the speaker and be done with it.

Steve, thanks again.

Does it matter which speaker I mic, are they usually playing in Stereo where if I mic the wrong speaker will not get him talking etc. Never really paid attention to that before.

Seth Bloombaum
March 7th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Generally, you need to carry a small kit of stuff to pull from a mixer operated by Joe DJ, especially when JOe doesn't know much about sound. Sadly, this is frequently the case with DJs. Such a kit might include 1/4-1/4" cable, direct box aka DI, RCA phono to 1/4", a line-to-mic pad, and whatever cable you need into your camcorder...
Hmm... now I'm quoting myself. Do I need a shrink?

An RCA phono output at -10db or less is when you'd use the RCA phono to 1/4" cable mentioned above, and plug it into a direct box. Now, you have a low impedance xlr balanced output at mic level from the direct box, and can run a long xlr cable as needed.

The direct box serves the functions of line-to-mic padding, unbalanced to balanced wiring, and high-impedance to low-impedance, which is all good for this situation. A simple rca phono to XLR is ok, but only if you keep cable length to perhaps 12' max. Conversion to low impedance balanced signal allows you the freedom to go 50', 200', place the camera where you like.

Or mic a speaker...

Steve Oakley
March 7th, 2008, 01:14 AM
PA's are normally mono ! with very rare exceptions

or, you can pretty much count that a announce mic is fed to both L/R channels.

as for a DI box... its LINE level coming from the mixer on RCA's at -20, not MIC level at -50/-60. even mic level will run a couple hundred feet on decent cable, line level for more. since the conversation is connection a device rather close it doesn't matter. even if you just take the hot side of a balance pair, it will work ok in a RCA->XLR. yes, yes, a DI box is nice, is ideal, but if I counted on having one everytime I had to connect to a mixer, I'd never get sound.

Gerry Gallegos
March 7th, 2008, 07:41 AM
get a cheap direct box from the music store and use your cube transmitter. then youre set.

Michael Liebergot
March 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks everyone for the help so far, I will be using two Canon XH-A1's and one can be close to the DJ so I can run a XLR plug from his mixer to the camera, and select Line in, instead of mic for one channel, and use my Sennheiser ME66 Shotgun Mic for the other channel.

I am guessing his line out would be an XLR output, anyone know if this is the normal.
Actually Denny, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you can only select Line or mic input for both channels, as they are not independently switchable.

This was one of the major drawbacks in the A1's original audio design.

Denny Kyser
March 7th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Actually Denny, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you can only select Line or mic input for both channels, as they are not independently switchable.

This was one of the major drawbacks in the A1's original audio design.

you are correct, if you select line, you select it for both channels.

with this, I think the Direct box is the ticket, then I can just leave it set on mic is this correct.

Martin Mayer
March 7th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Denny, if this is an event with a live audience (aren't they all?) I would strongly recommend miking the speakers for two reasons:

(a) primarily - you want (I assume) some "crowd noise" - if they are singing along, YMCA-style?, cheering, clapping, etc, etc, you won't get that from the DJ, or any other atmosphere for that matter, and

(b) secondarily - it's all under your control - relying on a DJ, for whom you are only a bother, not a priority, is something I'd not want to do.

We use two Sennheiser E914 mikes (able to take a full orchestra) connected to two SKP 500 transmitters - which we can put flexibly on stands or whatever in front of the left and right speaker stacks, transmitting to two EK 500 receivers, which feed the left+right inputs on one of our cameras. No wires to trip over or worry about, either.

Ty Ford
March 7th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Last time I got a "line level" feed from a house mixer, it was actually mic level or -10 consumer line level. I had to bring it in on a mic input to get enough gain.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Andrew Dean
March 7th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I have the same sennheiser setup as you. The input on the transmitter is variably adjustable from line to mic level from the sensitivity menu. It will only be mono, but if you can get a feed from the mixer to the transmitter cube, you should be able to adjust the input on the cube to whatever level it is.

I can use the cube (people around here call it the butt-plug transmitter, but that could be colloquial) plugged directly to my re50nd handheld mic (mic level) or directly into the output xlr of my sound devices mixpre (+4db line level) and both work correctly once you adjust the sensitivity. (i believe the menu on the transmitter goes down to either -30db or -36db, i'd have to check.)

So, I cant think of any reason if you are able to physically adapt an output from the mixer to the transmitter that you cant make it work.

Now... be super careful when choosing the output of the dj mixer. Make sure they are actually line level (or less likely, mic level) outputs. I have an old noname dj mixer that has xlrs on the back which are actually powered speaker output. If you plug your sennheiser into one of those, -30db aint gonna do diddly. In fact, it would probably destroy your transmitter before it gets to the input pad stage.

hope that helps!
-a

Denny Kyser
March 8th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I have the same sennheiser setup as you. The input on the transmitter is variably adjustable from line to mic level from the sensitivity menu. It will only be mono, but if you can get a feed from the mixer to the transmitter cube, you should be able to adjust the input on the cube to whatever level it is.

I can use the cube (people around here call it the butt-plug transmitter, but that could be colloquial) plugged directly to my re50nd handheld mic (mic level) or directly into the output xlr of my sound devices mixpre (+4db line level) and both work correctly once you adjust the sensitivity. (i believe the menu on the transmitter goes down to either -30db or -36db, i'd have to check.)

So, I cant think of any reason if you are able to physically adapt an output from the mixer to the transmitter that you cant make it work.

Now... be super careful when choosing the output of the dj mixer. Make sure they are actually line level (or less likely, mic level) outputs. I have an old noname dj mixer that has xlrs on the back which are actually powered speaker output. If you plug your sennheiser into one of those, -30db aint gonna do diddly. In fact, it would probably destroy your transmitter before it gets to the input pad stage.

hope that helps!
-a

Thanks Andrew, I did buy a direct box today, seemed pretty cheap to eliminate any problems. Seems simple enough plug in the line, or mic line to the box, and you get a mic out signal that is safe and easy to handle. I will deal with many DJ's some of which are sharp as tacks, and would have me hooked up in seconds others who may not have a clue and make things a nightmare. I will also be prepaired to mic a speaker if I have too. :)