Getting Signal from DJ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 6th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Getting Signal from DJ

Ok, I have a Sennheiser wireless system with a module, and lav mic. When I say module, I mean a transmitter that hooks to an XLR mic, or line I am thinking.

Would I hook this to an XLR cable to a line out from a DJ and go as a line in to my XH A1?

I just dont want to look like an idiot when I ask the dj to set up a signal for me.

Any sugestions, ideas or what not to do's.

Thanks
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You need to straighten out whether that (cube?) transmitter can take line level in - this is pretty important. If it's mic-level only, line level will likely overmodulate and distort big time.

Likely the DJ doesn't have mic level for you, if not, you'd need to pad his line level down to mic - maybe.

Wires are better than wireless for this, unless you must be mobile with the camera.

Generally, you need to carry a small kit of stuff to pull from a mixer operated by Joe DJ, especially when JOe doesn't know much about sound. Sadly, this is frequently the case with DJs. Such a kit might include 1/4-1/4" cable, direct box aka DI, RCA phono to 1/4", a line-to-mic pad, and whatever cable you need into your camcorder.

Many folks just don't bother and mic a speaker cabinet. At least then you're in control of the signal chain - your mic hears what people in the room are hearing. The mic needs to be capable of handling high volumes...
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Tell use what you have exactly. What model Senn? Do you have the Lav and transmitter, plus the extra transmitter that plugs directly into a mic?

If you are trying to connect a line level signal to a Senn G2 transmitter you would need something like this cable.

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/produ...&cat=27&page=1

If you are trying to connect a mic level signal to a Senn G2 transmitter you would need something like this cable.

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/produ...&cat=27&page=1
Brooks Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #4
Major Player

This is the package I have, use the lavalier system often, never have used the transmitter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...00_Series.html

My camera has a switch for the incoming receiver to select line or mic,
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
Ok, I have a Sennheiser wireless system with a module, and lav mic. When I say module, I mean a transmitter that hooks to an XLR mic, or line I am thinking.

Would I hook this to an XLR cable to a line out from a DJ and go as a line in to my XH A1?

I just dont want to look like an idiot when I ask the dj to set up a signal for me.

Any sugestions, ideas or what not to do's.

Thanks
Hello Denny,

What does the manual say about what to plug the plug on module into?
Most of the time these devices are used with mics.
That means you'd want a mic level.
If the mixer doesn't have one, you need a line to mic pad. Shure makes them.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks everyone for the help so far, I will be using two Canon XH-A1's and one can be close to the DJ so I can run a XLR plug from his mixer to the camera, and select Line in, instead of mic for one channel, and use my Sennheiser ME66 Shotgun Mic for the other channel.

I am guessing his line out would be an XLR output, anyone know if this is the normal.
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm a dj, and most dj mixers only have rca or 1/4 inch out...Some do have xlr but I wouldn't count on it.
Sacha Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha Rosen View Post
I'm a dj, and most dj mixers only have rca or 1/4 inch out...Some do have xlr but I wouldn't count on it.
Thanks alot, I will plan to have a 1/4 out to XLR in.

Like mentioned above, I also have the option of just putting a mic on a speaker and this may be the easiest setup.
Old March 7th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #9
Trustee

plan that most DJ mixers are RCA and -20 line level outs.

I'd get a RCA->XLR conntector and a RCA M -> 2 F splitter because some low budget DJ may not have more then one out.

then you _will_ run into guys just playing off a laptop with NO mixer. then you need a 1/8 spiltter... or just mic the speaker and be done with it.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
plan that most DJ mixers are RCA and -20 line level outs.

I'd get a RCA->XLR conntector and a RCA M -> 2 F splitter because some low budget DJ may not have more then one out.

then you _will_ run into guys just playing off a laptop with NO mixer. then you need a 1/8 spiltter... or just mic the speaker and be done with it.
Steve, thanks again.

Does it matter which speaker I mic, are they usually playing in Stereo where if I mic the wrong speaker will not get him talking etc. Never really paid attention to that before.
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Generally, you need to carry a small kit of stuff to pull from a mixer operated by Joe DJ, especially when JOe doesn't know much about sound. Sadly, this is frequently the case with DJs. Such a kit might include 1/4-1/4" cable, direct box aka DI, RCA phono to 1/4", a line-to-mic pad, and whatever cable you need into your camcorder...
Hmm... now I'm quoting myself. Do I need a shrink?

An RCA phono output at -10db or less is when you'd use the RCA phono to 1/4" cable mentioned above, and plug it into a direct box. Now, you have a low impedance xlr balanced output at mic level from the direct box, and can run a long xlr cable as needed.

The direct box serves the functions of line-to-mic padding, unbalanced to balanced wiring, and high-impedance to low-impedance, which is all good for this situation. A simple rca phono to XLR is ok, but only if you keep cable length to perhaps 12' max. Conversion to low impedance balanced signal allows you the freedom to go 50', 200', place the camera where you like.

Or mic a speaker...
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #12
Trustee

PA's are normally mono ! with very rare exceptions

or, you can pretty much count that a announce mic is fed to both L/R channels.

as for a DI box... its LINE level coming from the mixer on RCA's at -20, not MIC level at -50/-60. even mic level will run a couple hundred feet on decent cable, line level for more. since the conversation is connection a device rather close it doesn't matter. even if you just take the hot side of a balance pair, it will work ok in a RCA->XLR. yes, yes, a DI box is nice, is ideal, but if I counted on having one everytime I had to connect to a mixer, I'd never get sound.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #13
Major Player

get a cheap direct box from the music store and use your cube transmitter. then youre set.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
Thanks everyone for the help so far, I will be using two Canon XH-A1's and one can be close to the DJ so I can run a XLR plug from his mixer to the camera, and select Line in, instead of mic for one channel, and use my Sennheiser ME66 Shotgun Mic for the other channel.

I am guessing his line out would be an XLR output, anyone know if this is the normal.
Actually Denny, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you can only select Line or mic input for both channels, as they are not independently switchable.

This was one of the major drawbacks in the A1's original audio design.
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Actually Denny, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you can only select Line or mic input for both channels, as they are not independently switchable.

This was one of the major drawbacks in the A1's original audio design.
you are correct, if you select line, you select it for both channels.

with this, I think the Direct box is the ticket, then I can just leave it set on mic is this correct.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio