Recording voice over at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 7th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #1
New Boot

Recording voice over

Hi All,
I know its by no means ideal but deadlines and no way of getting decent audio equipment in time means im going to record some voice over for a documentary onto tape through my xlh1 using the onboard mic....
anyway my question is: can anyone suggest how i would get the best sound quality using this 'setup'. Im thinking of putting plenty of padding between the camera and mic, recording in a well padded room and i have a trained voice over artist, but are there any other words of wisdom you guys and gals could give to a complete and utter audio novice?
cheers,
Sandy
Sandy Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

"well padded room"......Talking to Henry, one of my video mates yesterday he mentioned that he'd read that one of the best environments to do voice overs in was actually inside a car...since car makers spend a fortune on the design and materials for sound deadening acoustic interiors - especially if you own a luxury model (maybe one day!)

Obviously, you don't want to be doing this at a service station next to a busy motorway but parked up somewhere quiet.

Maybe if you had a "rough" video file playing on a portable DVD player or laptop and view the screen as you do it?

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; March 7th, 2008 at 10:03 AM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #3
New Boot

I may just try that....now to find an expensive car; think the ferrari garage would let me borrow one for an afternoon? thanks for the info Andy
Sandy Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Turn off AGC and set the levels. Experiment to find the best placement of the mic to the talent. You may get better audio with the cam facing to the side of the talent or using only one channel of audio instead of the stereo pair.

Please let us know what works best.
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you are JUST recording audio (no video is what it sounds like you are doing), make sure you put it in SD mode. In HDV mode, it compresses the audio into an MPEG layer, whereas in SD mode, you usually have a choice of setting 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz at 16 bit (both are much higher quality).

Thomas
Thomas Barthle Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #6
New Boot

thanks for the info guys, some things there that im sure will help. i will definitely shoot in sd if thats the case- some thing i would never have thought of!!
cheers, ill let you know how i get on,
take care,
Sandy
Sandy Watt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio