View Full Version : What are the recent serial numbers from New Buyers?

Pages : [1] 2

Lonnie Bell
March 11th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Just curious what the recent US serial numbers are from people that have purchased as recently as the last two weeks?

Thanks,
Lonnie

of course, please feel free to post other regions as well for those outside the States, just indicate which country you purchased from please...

Dennis Joseph
March 11th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Just curious what the recent US serial numbers are from people that have purchased as recently as the last two weeks?

Thanks,
Lonnie

of course, please feel free to post other regions as well for those outside the States, just indicate which country you purchased from please...

I will be purchasing my camera this weekend but I did call b&h about a week ago and they said that they are in the 6000+ range on the last 4 digits.

Lonnie Bell
March 11th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Hope you get a good one, Dennis!
I get my XHA1 tomorrow - needed something while I watch what happens with the EX1...

Dennis Joseph
March 11th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Hope you get a good one, Dennis!
I get my XHA1 tomorrow - needed something while I watch what happens with the EX1...

Yeah I should be good to go. From what Sony and all the dealers that I talked to , it seems that a really small amount of people are having issues. I can slightly believe it because if you look at forums, the majority of people who vent out are the ones that are pissed off and want to let everyone know what a bad design, product, company, etc. I don't blame them because if I purchase an item that expensive, and it does not meet my expectations ,and does seem to have a design flaw where it should not, I would tell everyone around me. Does that mean that there are many EX-1's with an issue, probably not. In fact maybe only 3-5% of them being shipped out are having this problem. Probably 50% in the first month that it was shipped as most items are no good in the first shipment.

Lonnie Bell
March 11th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Please come back to this thread and keep us posted - you may be my sign it's time to buy!

Lonnie

Dennis Joseph
March 11th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Please come back to this thread and keep us posted - you may be my sign it's time to buy!

Lonnie

I just may be. I rather get this camera before that deadline for the free card ends and the risk that I am taking I think is very small. If you want the ex-1 to be near flawless then you would have to wait a year from now but I don't think my bones can wait that long with all this gorgeous footage I have been seeing all over the place.

Lonnie, when are you thinking of getting this Sony beast?

Lonnie Bell
March 11th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Hey Dennis,
I live in Vegas - NAB is around the corner...
I was so ready to dive in too, and battle Sony for fixes - but the calmer minds on the forum were hinting at patience...

So, I doubt any new design implementations will be out by NAB in regards to the EX1, but if they can at least ship without vignette or backfocus or ND probs - I'll dive in - hell, if they even come back from a technicians bench with no problems - I'd bite. There were just one too many "second" camera attempts that didn't work that prompted me to wait just a little longer...

To answer your question, the XHA1 will hold me off until NAB. I'll lurk the booths - see if I can get a discount - BH usually has great NAB offers for attendees (did last year). Whether or not they will involve the EX1, we will see.

Lonnie

Dennis Joseph
March 11th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Hey Dennis,
I live in Vegas - NAB is around the corner...
I was so ready to dive in too, and battle Sony for fixes - but the calmer minds on the forum were hinting at patience...

So, I doubt any new design implementations will be out by NAB in regards to the EX1, but if they can at least ship without vignette or backfocus or ND probs - I'll dive in - hell, if they even come back from a technicians bench with no problems - I'd bite. There were just one too many "second" camera attempts that didn't work that prompted me to wait just a little longer...

To answer your question, the XHA1 will hold me off until NAB. I'll lurk the booths - see if I can get a discount - BH usually has great NAB offers for attendees (did last year). Whether or not they will involve the EX1, we will see.

Lonnie

I agree with you as far as no design implementations. Todays Ex-1 will be the same 1 year from now. As far as a b&h discount, unless it is a $1,000 discount it would not be feasible to me since you would have to fork out $500 bucks for a second 8gb card which you would miss out on after Mar 31. There are def pros and cons to waiting and vice versa. I highly doubt that Panasonic, Canon, Or JVC come out with a camera that is close to the Ex-1 that is around that price range. I won't be surprised if competitors make a camera with similar features, no rolling shutter, and a detachable lens. That price however would be $20,000+.

Lonnie Bell
March 11th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Yeah - that rebate is a nice little carrot I got to admit. But, I'm not totally convinced that there won't be another promotion... furtermore, if I could avoid the head and heartaches some of these early opters have gone through by waiting and bypassing the rebate time - it's worth the $500. However, any purchase of the EX1 within 18months is probably considered a beta-buyer...

Your purchase will probably inform me more than any others right now - keep me posted - and GOOD LUCK!

Dennis Joseph
March 11th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Yeah - that rebate is a nice little carrot I got to admit. But, I'm not totally convinced that there won't be another promotion... furtermore, if I could avoid the head and heartaches some of these early opters have gone through by waiting and bypassing the rebate time - it's worth the $500. However, any purchase of the EX1 within 18months is probably considered a beta-buyer...

Your purchase will probably inform me more than any others right now - keep me posted - and GOOD LUCK!

I will def keep you informed! Plus I'm contemplating on getting the 3 year extended Sony warranty which is only 160 bucks. Not too bad.

Lonnie Bell
March 11th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Never noticed that warranty - great find!

I was going to look into the details on the Sagemax Warranty:
just a quick list they gave - accidental damage, defects in workmanship and materials, failures from normal wear and tear, mechanical and electrical breakdowns...

I'll have to read up on both Warranties now. Thanks for the tip!

Lonnie

Dennis Joseph
March 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Never noticed that warranty - great find!

I was going to look into the details on the Sagemax Warranty:
just a quick list they gave - accidental damage, defects in workmanship and materials, failures from normal wear and tear, mechanical and electrical breakdowns...

I'll have to read up on both Warranties now. Thanks for the tip!

Lonnie

Absolutly. If you will be getting that extended warranty then I don't think there should be any fear of buying this camera from here on out. That's my personal opinion. It is inconvenient to be sending your product in for warranty but atleast you know that it will be fixed and you have that as insurance. I don't think I have seen anyone here on the forums who said that they purchased a camera with s/n over 2,500 in the U.S. If B&H is at 6,000 they really did pump out a great amount of cameras in the past month or so.

Jason Bodnar
March 11th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I too am ordering mine this later this week from B&H so I will let you know what Serial # and how the Camera works out of the Box.

Dennis Joseph
March 11th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I too am ordering mine this later this week from B&H so I will let you know what Serial # and how the Camera works out of the Box.

Sweet! Ask the the ballpark s/n and let us know where they are at. I'm interested to see if they reached 7,000

Lonnie Bell
March 11th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Look forward to it, Jason...

Lonnie Bell
March 12th, 2008, 05:52 AM
You know Dennis,
I doubt we'll see any new cameras in the EX1 price range that can also match its quality and capabilities make a surprise entrance at NAB, but then again... there is Scarlet - and the RED team is capable of anything.

If it's not ready or in the EX1's company then it's a mute point. If it's ready and it is indeed RED ONE's baby brother - I would like to own junior.

And bringing it back to thread topic, would also like to see if newer serial numbers of the EX1 are free of the first round of issues...

Lonnie

Dennis Joseph
March 12th, 2008, 07:52 AM
You know Dennis,
I doubt we'll see any new cameras in the EX1 price range that can also match its quality and capabilities make a surprise entrance at NAB, but then again... there is Scarlet - and the RED team is capable of anything.

If it's not ready or in the EX1's company then it's a mute point. If it's ready and it is indeed RED ONE's baby brother - I would like to own junior.

And bringing it back to thread topic, would also like to see if newer serial numbers of the EX1 are free of the first round of issues...

Lonnie

It's funny because I don't think that many people on this forum have made a purchase in the last few weeks. A good chunk of them are waiting for the situation to unfold last minute.

Lonnie Bell
March 12th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Well i know you have seen the most recent posts still popping up from our UK friends on the vignette thread...

and a small consolation for US Buyers is, i'm sure US buyer are zipping through the stock of "tainted" models from the original stock faster than some of the smaller markets...

But the Big Question is: when do we get to the fresh "good" stock - or is Sony just relying on us not noticing, caring, or their tech bench fixes...

Lonnie Bell
March 12th, 2008, 08:01 AM
and yes, I think a lot are waiting...

...and NAB is a big deal to a lot of customers, and to businesses and their new roll outs. For consumers, it's a place to tinker hands on with all the gear and it's all within aisles of each other (or at least the next floor)...

Dennis Joseph
March 12th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Well i know you have seen the most recent posts still popping up from our UK friends on the vignette thread...

and a small consolation for US Buyers is, i'm sure US buyer are zipping through the stock of "tainted" models from the original stock faster than some of the smaller markets...

But the Big Question is: when do we get to the fresh "good" stock - or is Sony just relying on us not noticing, caring, or their tech bench fixes...

According to Sony and a few top dealers, we are allready on the good stock. I would not want to know what the bad stock was.

Jason Bodnar
March 12th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Well, I pulled the trigger today and it will be here on Friday...I will post back once I verify my serial and test the unit out.

Lonnie Bell
March 12th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks Jason - looking forward to it!

William Urschel
March 12th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Where did all the serial numbers go? ;>) I just purchased an EX-1 at B&H yesterday. Someone said B&H said 6000+? Anyhow, mine is 103707.

Lonnie Bell
March 12th, 2008, 09:56 PM
William - does your EX1 exhibit any problems that have been posted here thus far?

Michael Canion
March 12th, 2008, 10:10 PM
My EX1 shipped from B&H on 2/25. #102743

I've had no problems to speak of. Of course I recently overcame my fear of shadows in the corner, so the vignetting monster can't harm me now.

William Urschel
March 13th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Lonnie - I'm off to the edit suite at the moment, in the middle of a big one, so I won't be testing out the EX-1 until this weekend, but will post here next Monday if any issues.

Lonnie Bell
March 13th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Thanks Michael - and may inquire if you performed these telling but boring rigors of shooting lit white walls and zooming blue sky as well?

(And, maybe the ND gremlins will lose your address all together too!)

Dennis Joseph
March 13th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Where did all the serial numbers go? ;>) I just purchased an EX-1 at B&H yesterday. Someone said B&H said 6000+? Anyhow, mine is 103707.

When I inquired about the latest s/n they told me that they were at 6000! That's weird that they sent you 3707. I would specifically ask for the latest s/n if you did not allready.

Lonnie Bell
March 13th, 2008, 06:24 AM
and Michael got 2743 three weeks ago...

Dennis Joseph
March 13th, 2008, 07:51 AM
and Michael got 2743 three weeks ago...

Here is what i'm thinking. They either gave me the wrong number (miscomunication) or if you don't ask for the latest s/n they will just ship out previous units. I can't figure it out

Lonnie Bell
March 13th, 2008, 07:59 AM
BH has a very cool booth with all the cams on tripods and you can play and shoot at NAB... more importantly, they bring a small armada of NYers that are video lovers too.
I will corner a couple and ask the scoop man to man, eye to eye. I'd like to think the world's largest electronic retailer is in the loop.

David Lorente
March 13th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I finally got mine yesterday! S/N 402492, but I don't think there are 400.000 EX1s out there! Any idea on how the Sony serials work? Maybe they put some kind of "prefix" depending on the area where the camera is going to be sell.

Just for fun: both of my old DXC-537AP camera heads (docked to BetaSP recorders) have S/N that start by 4, like the one of the EX... Is it related, or not? "The truth is out there..."

Lonnie Bell
March 13th, 2008, 08:46 AM
rumor has it, the first 5 numbers (from right to left) are the unit numbers, the first (from left to right) are the region code...

Todd Moore
March 13th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I received my replacement camera this week (1st one had a zoom/focus problem). Not had a chance to check for problems yet as I have been away. Will check today and post.
Serial No 20027# 1st camera Serial was 20024# and I had to wait for stock from Japan for replacement so I would think the numbers in the 200000 range my be for Australia. The guy at Sony Australia said it was from a shipment of nearly 200 units received last week.

Dennis Joseph
March 14th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Well, I pulled the trigger today and it will be here on Friday...I will post back once I verify my serial and test the unit out.

Today is your big day! Let us know how everything goes. Give us the CNET scoop! I hope everything goes well.

-Dennis

Jason Bodnar
March 14th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Dennis, yes I am sitting by my front door awaiting somewhat impatiently, tracking shows it is out for delivery so between now and 3pm. Their rounds always change they never show at the same time. Once I open I will report on the serial # etc. and begin charge on the battery. by later this evening I hope to have the basic tests performed to verify all is well in EX1 land :)

Dennis Joseph
March 14th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Dennis, yes I am sitting by my front door awaiting somewhat impatiently, tracking shows it is out for delivery so between now and 3pm. Their rounds always change they never show at the same time. Once I open I will report on the serial # etc. and begin charge on the battery. by later this evening I hope to have the basic tests performed to verify all is well in EX1 land :)

I feel your pain and excitement. Keep us posted buddy!

-Dennis

Jason Bodnar
March 14th, 2008, 12:57 PM
It has landed!!!! This is one very nice looking camera...I love the weight when I pulled it out of the box nice and level, (except as all review have pointed out the handle on right side of cam is slightly awkward and leans to left but the way I actually hold the camera this does not cause me any issues. I ordered mine on 3/12 and got it today Serial # 0102571 which is sort of interesting as others ordered from B&H as well back in late Feb got 2700+....Does not worry me though...Battery is charging now and I have the extra Sony 3 yr. warranty.

More to come....

Dennis Joseph
March 14th, 2008, 01:30 PM
It has landed!!!! This is one very nice looking camera...I love the weight when I pulled it out of the box nice and level, (except as all review have pointed out the handle on right side of cam is slightly awkward and leans to left but the way I actually hold the camera this does not cause me any issues. I ordered mine on 3/12 and got it today Serial # 0102571 which is sort of interesting as others ordered from B&H as well back in late Feb got 2700+....Does not worry me though...Battery is charging now and I have the extra Sony 3 yr. warranty.

More to come....

Good stuff man. Probably felt like a little kid opening gifts during christmas time eh? The s/n thing is so confusing. I dont understand how they went from 3500+ to 2700+ .

Jason Bodnar
March 14th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Yes it does feel like X-Mas... I am not really worried about the serial # thing as it is confusing as all get out...I am just pumped to have this fine looking electronic device sitting in front of me...The flashing orange light on the charger is starting to put me in a trance as I stair at it awaiting it to turn green then solid green :)

Eric Pascarelli
March 14th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Forget about the green light - just put that battery on right now.

Steven Thomas
March 14th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Enjoy Jason!

If you have not already, get the Sony 4HR battery BP-U60.

Jason Bodnar
March 14th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks Steven...The Fed Ex guy should be here this afternoon at some point to drop off the U-60 which will then be placed on the charger as well. I do not think I will be having much under the tree this year as my X-mas has come in March and April, the new Macbook Pro should be here next week and hopefully the Zacuto Letus Extreme setup in April or May. All :)'s here...

Jason Bodnar
March 14th, 2008, 04:01 PM
No vignette problem here...Just finished testing! Well U-30 charged and now it is time to record U-60 on charger hopefully it will be sunny tomorrow cause right now it is dark and raining...So all indoors for this evening. This camera's lens is a dream...Love it!! The pictures I am getting straight out of the box make me exteremly happy I pulled the trigger on this beast.

Dennis Joseph
March 14th, 2008, 05:06 PM
No vignette problem here...Just finished testing! Well U-30 charged and now it is time to record U-60 on charger hopefully it will be sunny tomorrow cause right now it is dark and raining...So all indoors for this evening. This camera's lens is a dream...Love it!! The pictures I am getting straight out of the box make me exteremly happy I pulled the trigger on this beast.

I did'nt expect their to be any vignetting issues as that was corrected a while back so no one should really be having that problem at this point. Have you checked your backfocus when you turn your ND filter on?

Jason Bodnar
March 14th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Dennis, no backfocus issues either just tested it as well. I will say I agree with some others I really am disappointed with the slider for the ND filter. The one on my old VX 2000 and the FX1 is better...It is way to flush mount for me I had quite a few times where it would just slide all the way up to ND 2. I actually think the ND filter slider is of poor quality on a CineAlta line camera. The Camera/Off/Media switch is not has bad as I thought from others comments but it is not the greatest either. The ND filter slider really is my only complaint so far, well that and I can also see that the auto focus is a tad slow as others have mentioned but it seems light related because outside it is hardly noticable (now that the suns out)but I will be manual most of the time...So far no regrets.

Dennis Joseph
March 15th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Dennis, no backfocus issues either just tested it as well. I will say I agree with some others I really am disappointed with the slider for the ND filter. The one on my old VX 2000 and the FX1 is better...It is way to flush mount for me I had quite a few times where it would just slide all the way up to ND 2. I actually think the ND filter slider is of poor quality on a CineAlta line camera. The Camera/Off/Media switch is not has bad as I thought from others comments but it is not the greatest either. The ND filter slider really is my only complaint so far, well that and I can also see that the auto focus is a tad slow as others have mentioned but it seems light related because outside it is hardly noticable (now that the suns out)but I will be manual most of the time...So far no regrets.

I will give you guys my review this weekend as my EX-1 will be arriving today.

-Dennis

Lonnie Bell
March 15th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I'm excited for you Dennis and keeping my fingers crossed! Get a good one!

Lonnie

Lonnie Bell
March 15th, 2008, 09:41 AM
...and if your serial number is 1000004, I'll go with you to punch somebody out :)

Dennis Joseph
March 15th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Allright folks I just got my EX today. I'm at s/n 104700 so i'm pretty satisfied so far. Did some quick test shooting and so far so good. I will report more in the next week or so.