What are the recent serial numbers from New Buyers? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 11th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #1
Major Player

What are the recent serial numbers from New Buyers?

Just curious what the recent US serial numbers are from people that have purchased as recently as the last two weeks?

Thanks,
Lonnie

of course, please feel free to post other regions as well for those outside the States, just indicate which country you purchased from please...
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Bell View Post
Just curious what the recent US serial numbers are from people that have purchased as recently as the last two weeks?

Thanks,
Lonnie

of course, please feel free to post other regions as well for those outside the States, just indicate which country you purchased from please...
I will be purchasing my camera this weekend but I did call b&h about a week ago and they said that they are in the 6000+ range on the last 4 digits.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Hope you get a good one, Dennis!
I get my XHA1 tomorrow - needed something while I watch what happens with the EX1...
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Hope you get a good one, Dennis!
I get my XHA1 tomorrow - needed something while I watch what happens with the EX1...
Yeah I should be good to go. From what Sony and all the dealers that I talked to , it seems that a really small amount of people are having issues. I can slightly believe it because if you look at forums, the majority of people who vent out are the ones that are pissed off and want to let everyone know what a bad design, product, company, etc. I don't blame them because if I purchase an item that expensive, and it does not meet my expectations ,and does seem to have a design flaw where it should not, I would tell everyone around me. Does that mean that there are many EX-1's with an issue, probably not. In fact maybe only 3-5% of them being shipped out are having this problem. Probably 50% in the first month that it was shipped as most items are no good in the first shipment.
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Please come back to this thread and keep us posted - you may be my sign it's time to buy!

Lonnie
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Please come back to this thread and keep us posted - you may be my sign it's time to buy!

Lonnie
I just may be. I rather get this camera before that deadline for the free card ends and the risk that I am taking I think is very small. If you want the ex-1 to be near flawless then you would have to wait a year from now but I don't think my bones can wait that long with all this gorgeous footage I have been seeing all over the place.

Lonnie, when are you thinking of getting this Sony beast?
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #7
Major Player

Hey Dennis,
I live in Vegas - NAB is around the corner...
I was so ready to dive in too, and battle Sony for fixes - but the calmer minds on the forum were hinting at patience...

So, I doubt any new design implementations will be out by NAB in regards to the EX1, but if they can at least ship without vignette or backfocus or ND probs - I'll dive in - hell, if they even come back from a technicians bench with no problems - I'd bite. There were just one too many "second" camera attempts that didn't work that prompted me to wait just a little longer...

To answer your question, the XHA1 will hold me off until NAB. I'll lurk the booths - see if I can get a discount - BH usually has great NAB offers for attendees (did last year). Whether or not they will involve the EX1, we will see.

Lonnie
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Hey Dennis,
I live in Vegas - NAB is around the corner...
I was so ready to dive in too, and battle Sony for fixes - but the calmer minds on the forum were hinting at patience...

So, I doubt any new design implementations will be out by NAB in regards to the EX1, but if they can at least ship without vignette or backfocus or ND probs - I'll dive in - hell, if they even come back from a technicians bench with no problems - I'd bite. There were just one too many "second" camera attempts that didn't work that prompted me to wait just a little longer...

To answer your question, the XHA1 will hold me off until NAB. I'll lurk the booths - see if I can get a discount - BH usually has great NAB offers for attendees (did last year). Whether or not they will involve the EX1, we will see.

Lonnie
I agree with you as far as no design implementations. Todays Ex-1 will be the same 1 year from now. As far as a b&h discount, unless it is a $1,000 discount it would not be feasible to me since you would have to fork out $500 bucks for a second 8gb card which you would miss out on after Mar 31. There are def pros and cons to waiting and vice versa. I highly doubt that Panasonic, Canon, Or JVC come out with a camera that is close to the Ex-1 that is around that price range. I won't be surprised if competitors make a camera with similar features, no rolling shutter, and a detachable lens. That price however would be $20,000+.
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #9
Major Player

Yeah - that rebate is a nice little carrot I got to admit. But, I'm not totally convinced that there won't be another promotion... furtermore, if I could avoid the head and heartaches some of these early opters have gone through by waiting and bypassing the rebate time - it's worth the $500. However, any purchase of the EX1 within 18months is probably considered a beta-buyer...

Your purchase will probably inform me more than any others right now - keep me posted - and GOOD LUCK!
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Yeah - that rebate is a nice little carrot I got to admit. But, I'm not totally convinced that there won't be another promotion... furtermore, if I could avoid the head and heartaches some of these early opters have gone through by waiting and bypassing the rebate time - it's worth the $500. However, any purchase of the EX1 within 18months is probably considered a beta-buyer...

Your purchase will probably inform me more than any others right now - keep me posted - and GOOD LUCK!
I will def keep you informed! Plus I'm contemplating on getting the 3 year extended Sony warranty which is only 160 bucks. Not too bad.
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #11
Major Player

Never noticed that warranty - great find!

I was going to look into the details on the Sagemax Warranty:
just a quick list they gave - accidental damage, defects in workmanship and materials, failures from normal wear and tear, mechanical and electrical breakdowns...

I'll have to read up on both Warranties now. Thanks for the tip!

Lonnie
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Never noticed that warranty - great find!

I was going to look into the details on the Sagemax Warranty:
just a quick list they gave - accidental damage, defects in workmanship and materials, failures from normal wear and tear, mechanical and electrical breakdowns...

I'll have to read up on both Warranties now. Thanks for the tip!

Lonnie
Absolutly. If you will be getting that extended warranty then I don't think there should be any fear of buying this camera from here on out. That's my personal opinion. It is inconvenient to be sending your product in for warranty but atleast you know that it will be fixed and you have that as insurance. I don't think I have seen anyone here on the forums who said that they purchased a camera with s/n over 2,500 in the U.S. If B&H is at 6,000 they really did pump out a great amount of cameras in the past month or so.
Old March 11th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #13
Major Player

I too am ordering mine this later this week from B&H so I will let you know what Serial # and how the Camera works out of the Box.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bodnar View Post
I too am ordering mine this later this week from B&H so I will let you know what Serial # and how the Camera works out of the Box.

Sweet! Ask the the ballpark s/n and let us know where they are at. I'm interested to see if they reached 7,000
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #15
Major Player

Look forward to it, Jason...
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds