View Full Version : What happened to Douglas Spotted Vegas 8 Book?

Karim Amanali
March 31st, 2008, 12:02 PM
I thought the book was to be released March 28/08, is it delayed? I am looking forward to be getting the book but its not available yet and I remember reading the release date to be March 28/08. Anyone able to get there copy of the book yet or were you able to buy from Chapters or Indigo?

Karim Amanali
March 31st, 2008, 08:44 PM
anyone??? And ideas?

Randy Stewart
March 31st, 2008, 10:36 PM
Check out Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Vegas-Pro-8-Editing-Workshop/dp/0240810465/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207022939&sr=8-1
Randy

Karim Amanali
April 1st, 2008, 07:13 AM
Thanks Randy, but I already checked out Amazon and other online stores and no one seems to have them. I am wondering if its been delayed. Guess I will just have to wait.

Douglas Spotted Eagle
April 1st, 2008, 07:41 AM
It's shipping, I rec'd my copies a couple of weeks ago, and a few folks have written to me about receiving theirs.

Clark Peters
April 1st, 2008, 12:26 PM
I pre-ordered mine from Amazon a couple months ago. It's in the capable hands of the US Postal Service as I write this.

Pete

Karim Amanali
April 1st, 2008, 12:48 PM
Thank you Douglas for the update. Hopefully it will be available at our nearby bookstore (Indigo/Chapters).

Matthew Harris
April 5th, 2008, 02:08 PM
i got my copy the other day ... always get a lot out of these books and good refresher...

early typos i have noticed in the first few pages...

edit details window shortcut listed as Alt+4 instead of Alt+6...video preview window listed as Alt+6 instead of Alt+4...

Track Control pane can be removed by using shortcut Shift +F12 instead of Shift+F11...

...can really throw off a first time user learning vegas...

Karim Amanali
April 16th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I am picking up my copy from post office today. Very excited about it as I am a beginner in editing and I am sure this book will really help me out a lot. Any reviews/feedback from people who also received their copy as to what they think and if the book is indeed helpful?

Cheers.

Benoit Bissonnette
April 16th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I ordered mine from indigo.ca last week. Just got a confirmation email from them yesterday to confirm it was shipping now. I should receive it tomorrow or Friday at the most. Can't wait to look at it!

Benoit

Matthew Harris
April 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM
...as i mentioned above ... i always get a lot out of these books and always a good refresher...i have the vegas 5 book and currently going through this new one...

...i would recommend when reading the book to have vegas 8 open to go along with the text and shortcuts...you'll find some shortcut typos and screen shot captions that should actually go to other screen shots and even some outdated screen shots from previous Vegas versions...i.e. a Track Motion screen shot and the text in the book showing and explaning the big F in the Track Motion window...but the F left Track Motion i believe in Vegas 4 and resides in Pan/Crop not Track Motion...

...all in all still definitely worth having...and the dvd always has a lot of good veg files...

Rick Diaz
April 18th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Any chance of something similar geared towards Platinum? Or does a lot of Vegas 8 Pro correlate well?

Edward Troxel
April 18th, 2008, 10:02 PM
The Movie Studio versions are a subset of the pro version. So... there will be some things that are not in the Movie Studio version but the parts that ARE in the Movie Studio version will operate the same.

Richard Jones
April 19th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Recieved my copy (in the UK) this morning. Because it does not seem to be available here I ordered it from America - order placed on 4 April so a fortnight and a day to have it ordered, packed, sent to the airport, cross the pond and go through the UK airport and postal services to reach me in good condition is pretty impressive service.

Now looking foprward to reading it - the Vegas 6 version became a "bible," especially when read in conjunction with the VASST instruction DVDs.

Best Wishes,

Richard Jones

Douglas Spotted Eagle
April 19th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Any chance of something similar geared towards Platinum? Or does a lot of Vegas 8 Pro correlate well?

There is an "Instant Vegas Movie Studio" book available at Amazon, etc, authored by myself and John Rofrano.

Rick Diaz
April 21st, 2008, 11:14 PM
There is an "Instant Vegas Movie Studio" book available at Amazon, etc, authored by myself and John Rofrano.

Thank you, sir. In case you haven't heard it enough, you are a treasure.

Edit: It appears that book only covers to version 6. I guess I'll have to get the Pro 8 book and figure out what is relevant and what's not.

Douglas Spotted Eagle
April 22nd, 2008, 07:19 AM
At the 'basics' level, there is no difference between Vegas Movie Studio 6,7, or 8. Everything in there applies, but in any event...*most* of the changes to the app are under the hood and are not overt

D.J. Ammons
April 22nd, 2008, 08:49 AM
I pre-ordered the Vegas Pro 8 Editing Workshop book from Books A Million around the middle of March and received it the week of April 8.

Karim Amanali
April 22nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
I received my copy within 5 business days from the date I placed the order. I have glanced at it just briefly havent had the chance to go through it in detail as my marirage is in a months time so a little tied up right now.

I try to read few pages every now and then but went through table of contents and I am sure I will learn a lot. As I am a beginner at this, while reading some of the content I strongly suggest for anyone who is also new to editing that they also have vegas open at the same time on their computer and try to use examples provided in book and apply them to get a better understanding.

Thank you Doug, I hope to learn a lot from this book :).

Cheers.

Rick Diaz
April 22nd, 2008, 02:21 PM
At the 'basics' level, there is no difference between Vegas Movie Studio 6,7, or 8. Everything in there applies, but in any event...*most* of the changes to the app are under the hood and are not overt

Well, I am beyond the 'basics level' at this point. My biggest problem with Vegas is running headlong into Sony's dogged insistence on eschewing conventional NLE terminology, layout and workflow for those of us coming to Vegas from other editing software. I am a technically minded person with very good analytical and problem solving skills, but some of what Vegas requires just leaves me stumped. I've read the included manuals and the help files, but I don't want to be told just how to change a setting or button, I want to know what effect it will have on my project. It seems that one of the strengths of Vegas is in its customizability, but it takes a lot of effort and investigation to actually be able to use all the options available because Sony does a poor job of informing users. I'm hoping your Pro 8 book will be better at filling in the gaps.

Right now, I'm having a struggle with simple capturing in MSP. I want to do automated captures, but the in/out/length timecode boxes are always grayed out. The help file refers to an "Advanced Capture" tab, but I can't find it anywhere in my workspace or in the various menus. I have managed to capture successfully from my HV20, but as is usual with Vegas, I'm being forced to adopt a methodology that isn't to my liking. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that this aspect of Vegas is one thing that pushes a lot of people away. I'll make it work because I need the power of a more professional editor, but I don't have to like it.