View Full Version : Wedding Lighting

Randy Johnson
April 24th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I was wondering what you guys use for lighting in weddings. I am kinda old school I use Anton/bauer and I have a Ultra Daylight for entrances in dark areas. I use a Lowel I-light (50watt) for most everything else. I use the GY-HD 100s which I more light hungry than my old cameras and I am getting tired of seeing people make comments on how bright the light is. I was thinking of trying those Micro light panels do they put out enough? just for kicks I ordered some of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190208072486
although I havent gotten them yet for $25 for 2 after shipping it was worth a risk.

Randy

Don Bloom
April 24th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I've been using an AB Ultralight for a long time (with the AB softbox) and a 35W bulb with my Sonys (150, 170, 250) and have found that more than enough. HOWEVER I have shot a couple of weddings with an HD100 and found it wanted a 50W light. I also strected the blacks and shot at 30p at 1/30th. Minimal motion showed and it was well lit at least up to about 10 feet.
Now I'm using a Litepanel Micro with the diffusion and 1/4 warm filter for receptions and although a few folks here don't care for the light I do. It's lightweight, no wires and produces a good quality light (IMO) again though only up to about 10 feet. I'm fine with that because I will walk into the subject and if it's too much I can dim it down. I've done a bunch of weddings this way and so far I'm very happy with it BUT I've not used it with the HD100/110/200/250 cameras.
YMMV!
Don

Randy Johnson
April 24th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Don,
Thanks for the reply, I used to have a AG-DV200 and 2 AJ-D215s which spoiled me as far as low light goes. The JVC simply cant compare in low light. I bought a IDX LED that was supposed to put out 35 watts. I didnt cut the mustard I wonder how the light panels compare to it. This ring is supposed to put out 50 watts if its even close to what I need maybe i'll try the lite panels next. Right now I figure I can put this ring on my mic and use it for interviews and really close up stuff then switch on my lowell for longer range stuff.

Randy

Don Bloom
April 24th, 2008, 08:11 PM
there you go. Sounds like you'll be set for light.
Good luck with the setup and let us know how it works out.

Don

Randy Johnson
April 29th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Well I got it, its better than a dark room but it doesnt throw far. It may be o.k. one of the things id like to improve on is not blinding people during interviews or table shots and this looks like it has the throw for that but not much more. I have 3 weddings this weekend i'll let you know how it holds up.
BTW what do you guys think of this?
http://www.bebob.de/international/lux-led40_hand-light_lighting.html

id like to know how far it throws. Pricey but it may be worth it.

Travis Cossel
April 29th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I just ordered a Litepanels Micro today and my next wedding is in two weeks or so. I'll be sure to come back on here and post my experience with it.

That said, I've done a TON of research on this light now, and from what I can tell the only real complaints are the filter holder and plastic housing. Yes, I know some people complain about the light about, or the hot shoe mount, or whatever. But in all the research I've done I've seen very few complaints on those things overall. The reviews (both by professionals and regular users) are almost all very positive.

Renton Maclachlan
April 29th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Three times I've had one of these Litepanel Mircos in a shopping trolley - one step from buying, and each time choked on the price - $nz400! - including shipping.

There is not much else available...

John Moon
April 30th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Three times I've had one of these Litepanel Mircos in a shopping trolley - one step from buying, and each time choked on the price - $nz400! - including shipping.

There is not much else available...

We shot a wedding in Chicago last weekend and picked up the Litepanel Micro at Calumet Photo. $370.00....as others have said, the plastic body is disappointing. The markup has to be huge. The performance of the light itself overall on a scale of 0 to 10 I would rate the performance at 7.5. We shot in HD and it did provide us with ample light even beyond the reported 10' range. Probably going to keep it. I am sold on the led's and will probably be purchasing the higher end Litepanel models.

-John

Sean Seah
April 30th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Anyone here has experience with the quality of the higher end stuff? I tried the Sony LEDs which were pretty well built, but the light throw wasnt impressive. Zylight looks good but they have some designs issues as well n for that price point it is quite a concern

Randy Johnson
April 30th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I dont want to sound like Mr. moneybags but lighting is important to me espcially with the new light hungry HD cameras. I dont mind spending the money if I know it going to perform well, I bought the IDX LED a dew years ago and it just didnt give me near enough light since then I think they may have come along way in draw and in output. I just wish they would start comparing them to tungston lights to make it easier for me to decide. ie the light panel micro puts out the equivilant of X watts. The Bebob one I refrenced is about $700+ but I think it really throws some light. I may have to plan a trip to B&H to get some of these lights in my hands.

Randy

Steven Davis
April 30th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I have a couple of Frezzi mini fill lights that I like. I just wish they softbox for them wasn't 150 bucks.

Travis Cossel
April 30th, 2008, 12:55 PM
We shot a wedding in Chicago last weekend and picked up the Litepanel Micro at Calumet Photo. $370.00....

Wow. It's only $299 at B&H and other places. Even on the Calumet website it's only listed at $340. Why'd you pay so much?

John Moon
April 30th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Wow. It's only $299 at B&H and other places. Even on the Calumet website it's only listed at $340. Why'd you pay so much?

I hate news like this! Not sure...I was in a hurry to get to the wedding...I need to look into that. Thanks.

-John

Travis Cossel
April 30th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I hate news like this! Not sure...I was in a hurry to get to the wedding...I need to look into that. Thanks.

-John

Oh, okay. I wasn't sure if that was a typo, or if you got some accessories with it or what. Sorry to drop bad news on you like that.

Ryan Lester
April 30th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I don't use any lights................. (*Ducks*)

I tell my clients that when i first meet them thou and i show them footage from previous weddings and point out to them any 'low light' shots, just so they can understand the quality of the footage they will recieve.

I do weddings part-time, but still manage roughly 30 a year and none of them have ever complained.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying lighting at a wedding is a bad thing, it's just not my style.

Without a light, i am able to get much more candid shots when people don't know i'm filming (i'm very sneaky) and THAT IN ITSELF is the most popular compliment i get from my clients. "We love how natural and candid everybody is at the reception".
So............ i stick to that formular, you know the rule, if it ain't broke????

I use a PD170 (Z7 now) and the only problem i ever had with 'Too Much Noise' was a badly lit reception and i was using the Z1.

Travis Cossel
April 30th, 2008, 05:13 PM
My idea for using the light is to use it during important events, like the first dance, cake cutting, garter toss, etc. For pretty much everything else I will probably film without the light so I can get more candid shots. It all depends on the crowd, too, though.

Randy Johnson
May 3rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Well I used my new "Mic Light" or at least the $10 camping light that I think is the same thing. For me it was pretty much usless I gave it to my daughter. It didnt give me enough light for anything, id like to see how it compares the Lit panels or some of the other LED out there.

Don Bloom
May 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
here's a jpg from the timeline, no anything done to it. On the dark side of the dance floor far away from the DJs lighting. I was about 8 feet away, 1/60th-f/1.6,0 gain and the Litepanel micro with the diffusion and 1/4 warm filter at less than 100% power.
Oh yeah a .65WA lens attachment on the PD170.

Don

Travis Cossel
May 4th, 2008, 01:12 PM
here's a jpg from the timeline, no anything done to it. On the dark side of the dance floor far away from the DJs lighting. I was about 8 feet away, 1/60th-f/1.6,0 gain and the Litepanel micro with the diffusion and 1/4 warm filter at less than 100% power.
Oh yeah a .65WA lens attachment on the PD170.

Don

Looks like plenty of light to me, especially given the settings you were using and the environment you were shooting in. Thanks for posting the pic. It makes me even more excited to have my Litepanels Micro arrive!

Jon Furtado
May 4th, 2008, 04:15 PM
My boss at the old company I worked for came to the office one day and brought this "new light" that he bought. After seeing all the footage he shot with it. I was very impressed. It was a Litepanel, (not the micro, the next step up) and it gives a very flattering soft light. It didn't blind people and it didn't suck batteries dry in a half hr of use. Nor did it get hot!

When i finally got around to shopping for one for myself, i found out how much a kit costs. Almost $1000 for a camera light! WOW!

But, he won't give his up for the world. It also doubles as a small source if you shoot short films/documentaries. It's great to stick inside a car or a cramped place where other kinds of lights are impossible.

Randy Johnson
May 6th, 2008, 05:16 AM
thanks for the pic Don, I object to spending $1,000 for a light lighting is really important. The key is I need to try them first, I like the way LED is going although its just not there yet. I use a GY-HD100 which is really light hungry in really dark churches I can drag the shutter to 1/30 which is fine because there not alot of movment. At receptions I use a lowell I-light (55 watts) which gives me just the right light combo I need the problem is it blinds the guests and I think it will eventually hurt buisness.

Don Bloom
May 6th, 2008, 05:24 AM
I've used the HD100 at weddings and receptions. I didn't have the LED at the time but here is where I started in the dark caves of receptions venues ;-)

50W light (Anton Bauer w/softbox) plugging into a Bescor battery belt. Gotta have the juice. Camera was set to 1/30th,f/1.8? (can't remember exactly but it was wide open) shooting 30p and I stretched the blacks a bit. The scene file was customized and frankly I don't remember the details but I do know that it worked out well. Good saturation, good exposure and literally no motion showing at 1/30th.
The HD100 is a light hungry camera but then IMO so is the Z1, perhaps a bit more so than the HD100.
I think the Litepanel would work out OK on the HD100.

Yes the 50W light got some looks but as we explained the the couple, either we light it and you can see it or we don't light it and you can't see it. Your choice.
They choose to see it.
They all need to make a choice-dark is romantic but VIDEO like your eyes need some light. Their choice.

Don

Randy Johnson
May 6th, 2008, 06:11 AM
With my 50 watt light (I also have a Anton/Bauer but mine has built in diffuson plus the extra flip out diffusion) I also have a ultradaylight for use in some situations. Id love to be able to use 1/30 all the time(indoors) but I dont know if my brides would notice or not. Ceremonys are o.k. but receptions with all the dancing its pretty noticalbe although I am still shooting DV and dont have acces to the "Smooth Motion" feature which may help I dont know.

Steven Davis
May 6th, 2008, 07:17 AM
While we are on the lighting subject. I have a couple of Frezzi lights, and want to diffuse them down by placing something in front of them. I would only do this for special occasions.

Does anyone know a diffusing material I could lay in front of it. I'm thinking that a frosted piece of plexi glass might do the trick. I'm specifically wanting to do this for close interviews.

Randy Johnson
May 6th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Softbox out of your budget?

Don Bloom
May 6th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Tough Spun. 24"X24" sheet should last you a long long time. Oh yeah, some gaff tape to tape it to the light.

Don

Steven Davis
May 6th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Tough Spun. 24"X24" sheet should last you a long long time. Oh yeah, some gaff tape to tape it to the light.

Don

Yeah Don and Randy,
I have no problem forking out the dough for equipment, although the boss has put me on a budget now. But to chunk 150 bucks at a little peice of fabric is a little extreme.

Don, I live in a land that lacks anything but Ritz Camera, where do you get your Tough Spun from?

Don Bloom
May 6th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Try helixcamera in Chicago-they have a web site but you'll need to call them. It's not listed on their site. They ship fairly quick.
B&H has it also and for a quick fix try a coffee filter. Seriously. New not used ;-)

Cut to fit, tape it and done. Watch your white balance though they tend to go yellow.

Don

Steven Davis
May 6th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Try helixcamera in Chicago-they have a web site but you'll need to call them. It's not listed on their site. They ship fairly quick.
B&H has it also and for a quick fix try a coffee filter. Seriously. New not used ;-)

Cut to fit, tape it and done. Watch your white balance though they tend to go yellow.

Don

Thanks Don.

Renton Maclachlan
May 15th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Any thoughts on this apparently new light?

http://www.simaproducts.com/products/product_detail.php?product_id=614

Travis Cossel
May 15th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Any thoughts on this apparently new light?

http://www.simaproducts.com/products/product_detail.php?product_id=614

My initial thoughts ...

I don't like having a "battery pack" that has to be charged. With the Litepanels Micro, you use AA batteries, which makes it easy to shoot all day (like at a wedding).

There is no mention of dimmability, and no mention of what the current color temperature of the LED's is.

No cost listed yet either, so it's hard to judge by comparison with other lights.

EDIT: Nevermind, found the light on B&H. $70. Not bad, but I don't think I would want a light without dimmability.

Renton Maclachlan
May 15th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Apparently they can be got for around about $us30. Nope, no dimmer - pity. Not sure if the battery is interchangable with AA's. Think I read somewhere the light is 6000k.

If it was $30, that is 1/10th the cost of the micro! Not something to sneeze at.

And you can stack them side by side with their unique connecting system so you can have more than one all connected together if you want. Seems like a smart idea.

Litepanels should cut their price - or let's hope some real competition is available soon. This one is part way there.

Don Bloom
May 15th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Yeah I have to agree with Travis. I've used lights that need the battery belt (I am in pain just thinking about it), lights that use a battery on the back of it, lights that run off the camera battery (AB on fullsize-loved it-except for the weight of the rig, I got older)

My lightpanel goes for at least 4 hours with the rechargeable AAs I got for it. 2 sets and a charger for under $30. They're 2200MaH and only twice so far have I had to change batteries during a reception and then only as a precaution later on in the night.

BTW there is a cable that WILL go from the Litepanel to a cig adapter battery-didn't see it at BH but I think it was listed at Litepanel site (or maybe it was BH.) Anyway it was under $15 and can be a backup alternative!?

That light never comes off the camera-turn it face down and it fits in the bag like butter! Costly yes, not the highest quality of construction as has been noted before BUT here's what I believe.
A piece of gear or anything we buy in life is only too expensive if it DOESN'T work. I love my litepanel Micro. ;-)

Don

Renton Maclachlan
May 15th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I didn't see any comment about a battery belt. I've been thinking the lithium Ion battery goes in the light, or is integrated into it.

Travis Cossel
May 15th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Apparently they can be got for around about $us30. Nope, no dimmer - pity. Not sure if the battery is interchangable with AA's. Think I read somewhere the light is 6000k.

If it was $30, that is 1/10th the cost of the micro! Not something to sneeze at.

And you can stack them side by side with their unique connecting system so you can have more than one all connected together if you want. Seems like a smart idea.

Litepanels should cut their price - or let's hope some real competition is available soon. This one is part way there.

It's definitely a lot less than the Micro, but it also lacks some of the better features that the Micro offers (dimmability, longer battery run-time). A videographer would have to decide if those options are critical to their work or not. For me, with weddings, I definitely need a dimmer and the longer run-time. Add to that the lack of color shift with dimming, the filter options, and the fact that I can get replacement batteries at any convenience store in the event I ever needed to, and I'm sold on paying more for the Micro.

Don Bloom
May 16th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I looked at their website again and it would appear the battery is integrated into the unit and is not replaceable (at least not easily)-hence they include the AC charger. It runs 45 to 60 minutes per the website. OK here's the thing though, it says and I'll quote so I don't mis-speak "- Effective distance - approximately 15 - 25’ "
They lost me there. The Litepanel, even my AB Ultralight with NO diffusion and a 35W bulb is hard pressed to cover 15 to 25 feet with a 50W bulb yeah, with a 75W, you bet.
Personally for me you get what you pay for and pay for what you get.
It's like the $2.00 cresent wrench. Guy goes to the store and buys a wrench for $2.00-goes home tries to use it, scrapes his knuckles and the wrench breaks. Goes and gets another one, a good one, spends $10.00 on it, goes home works like a champ-does the job. Now he's got $12.00 invested in a $10.00 wrench. Again it's only to expensive if it doesn't work.
I don't like buying the same thing over and over again and it appears with the light in question you need more than 1 due to the run time. IF the price is what they say, yes it's less money but is it really worth it to have to plan your shooting around the run time of the battery of the light?
Your money, your choice.

Don

Renton Maclachlan
May 16th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Don't get me wrong, I like the features of the micro, but I don't like the cost, so will hang fire until there are more such items in the market which will inevitably bring the costs down. While it would be nice to have something like this now, I can wait.

Andrew McWeeny
May 16th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I've been using 12v / 7.2AH sealed battery packs with a Varilux light for the past several years. Love the light but I'm fed up with the weight and the wire.

Just got my Litepanels Micro! I'll be using 2650Mha 'AA' batteries and looking forward to trying it at a wedding next weekend.

For those who own a Micro, any tips on how you use the color filters?

Travis Cossel
May 16th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I've been using 12v / 7.2AH sealed battery packs with a Varilux light for the past several years. Love the light but I'm fed up with the weight and the wire.

Just got my Litepanels Micro! I'll be using 2650Mha 'AA' batteries and looking forward to trying it at a wedding next weekend.

For those who own a Micro, any tips on how you use the color filters?

I'll be using mine on the job for the first time tomorrow. I can't wait.

As for filter tips, what do you mean? Keeping the filters in or when to use them?

Don Bloom
May 16th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I ALWAYS have the diffusion and 1/4 warm filter in place when shooting indoors. Without the warm filter IMO it's a bit to cold looking. The diffusion does just what the name implies. Otherwise (again IMO) the light is a bit harsh. I have used it outside for some detail stuff and I pull the filter holder out of the way since the bare light is about 5600K and it fills nicely but only to with in about 4 maybe 5 feet. Of course past that I can't think of any on camera type light that will fill anyway. Well maybe an AB with a 75W bulb or a 100W Frezzi.

Those 2 filters are always in place and I use a little strip of gaff tape to hold them there. Works just fine.

Oh yeah remember to WB with the filters in place otherwise the footage might get ugly ;-)

Don

Nick Avdienko
May 27th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I'll be using mine on the job for the first time tomorrow. I can't wait.

As for filter tips, what do you mean? Keeping the filters in or when to use them?

Hi Travis - how did the Litepanels work for you? Thinking about getting one.

Travis Cossel
May 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Hi Travis - how did the Litepanels work for you? Thinking about getting one.

Can't really say just yet. The wedding reception ended up being mostly outdoors on a bright sunny evening, so the light was necessary. This weekend's wedding will probably be a better test.

I will say that it seems like a decent enough light. One of the battery holders isn't set quite right in my unit, but when I put the battery door on it forces the battery into place and it works just fine. I think for the price they should have provided better construction, but considering the newness of the technology and the size, weight, and dimmability, it's not a bad deal really.

Travis Cossel
June 2nd, 2008, 01:42 AM
I shot my 2nd wedding this weekend with the Micro. I love not having a battery pack and love that the light doesn't get hot.

However, I nearly lost my diffusion filer during the preps. It just fell out at some point. I know you can rig the filter holder with tape, but for a $300 light it should have a better design. One of my batteries also won't stay in its slot, but closing the battery door locks it in place. Again, for a $300 light the construction is not that impressive. I also found that adjust the angle on the light was a bit of a pain, and I felt like I had to be very careful so as to not break the light off. Once again ... $300 light.

As for the light's performance. It seemed to work pretty well. I found it to work best when the subject was within 5 feet. Beyond 5 feet the difference that the light made didn't seem to be all that much.

I did also notice that turning the dimming/on/off knob does nothing for the first 25% or so of the turn, then I get low to full light in the middle 50%, and the final 25% of the knob turn again does nothing. Is this normal???

Overall, I'm fairly happy with the light. I'm conflicted only by the fact that it costs $300 but feels like a light that should cost $150 or maybe less. I'm quite concerned that something is going to break before I get my $300 of use out of it.

Deniz Ahmet
June 2nd, 2008, 04:59 AM
LED bulds are not all the same. Quality bulbs that have the correct temp for daylight matching are expensive.

I obtained the Litepanel Micro months ago and there really is no substitute. No heat, long run time, lifespan, weight, ability to dim, filters etc.

Construction does feel cheap yes , but producing a light weight unit was one of the key sales points for this item, hence the plastic.

My only complaints are:

Light pattern is circular (you expect it to be square) So for widescreen filming it does not fill the frame zoomed out.

Battery life is hard to guess, It goes for hours but there's a specific point where the light output drops in intensity, and can catch you unaware if filming. Always use newly charged batteries, or better still non-rechargeable ones.

Filter holder is poor design. Lfit the flap and the filter always falls out. I never use it anyway mind.

Ultimately, it's main purpose is to lift shadows on faces, don't expect it to light a room. Keep within 3m of your subject.

Don Bloom
June 2nd, 2008, 05:16 AM
for the filter problem, take a small strip of gaff tape andplace it on the top of the filter when it's in place-I then place the 1/4 warm over that -problem solved. Those 2 filters never leave the lite. If I don't need them I lift the filter gate up. The only time I need that is outside.

As for the batteries, I use 2200MaH rechargables and seem to get about 4 hours per set-alkalines give about 1 1/2 hours. Your choice but rechargables make more sense to me.

As for the circular pattern I have only noticed it at a distance of about 10 feet or more and frankly I don't worry about it, anymore than I worry that the light is only good for a distance of 10 to 12 feet past that and there ain't a light out there that's going to cover without totally blinding the people, and finally for the batteries that don't stay in. LP listed a simple fix that THEY were doing on the first production batch which I did and haven't had a battery fall out since. Move the contact use a drop of crazy glue, move the contact back to where it belongs and PRESTO! Problem fixed.

Remember you have to know the limitations of any piece of gear and use it within those limitations.

I love my LP-Micro.

Don

Travis Cossel
June 2nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Filter holder is poor design. Lfit the flap and the filter always falls out. I never use it anyway mind.

The strange thing is that my filter fell out at some point while I was shooting. It didn't fall out because I was opening the filter door. I didn't even see it fall out.

Don, thanks for the tips on fixing the filter door and battery compartment. I've seen you post those before and was really just expressing my dissatisfaction with the fact that I paid $300 for a light that immediately requires "do-it-yourself" fixing.

All things said, I still like the light and will be using it A LOT more than my Bescor.

William Smyth
July 8th, 2008, 06:23 AM
This is probably the toughest area for wedding shooters. Many/most of the weddings I shoot have a lighting designer lighting the venue so placing a big ole' light anywhere would kill the atmosphere. Trouble is the LD's lights don't help be a bit, they are usually under tables lights or accent lights. I've been using a micro frezzi on with a dimmer. It's worked well, but I'm shooting with a XL1S, so that means I need to lug a battery belt when using my Frezzi which is a pain in the ass.

I saw a behind the scenes show on the making of The Real World. One of the Grips rigged this little battery operated Chinese Lantern that the could take into restaurants and bars and place on the table to light the faces of the characters. It's small enough to shoot around and gave off a nice soft light. If you're a Grip and are reading this, mass produce this little gem, thousands of wedding videographers will be in your debt.