Wedding Lighting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 24th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Trustee

Wedding Lighting

I was wondering what you guys use for lighting in weddings. I am kinda old school I use Anton/bauer and I have a Ultra Daylight for entrances in dark areas. I use a Lowel I-light (50watt) for most everything else. I use the GY-HD 100s which I more light hungry than my old cameras and I am getting tired of seeing people make comments on how bright the light is. I was thinking of trying those Micro light panels do they put out enough? just for kicks I ordered some of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190208072486
although I havent gotten them yet for $25 for 2 after shipping it was worth a risk.

Randy
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I've been using an AB Ultralight for a long time (with the AB softbox) and a 35W bulb with my Sonys (150, 170, 250) and have found that more than enough. HOWEVER I have shot a couple of weddings with an HD100 and found it wanted a 50W light. I also strected the blacks and shot at 30p at 1/30th. Minimal motion showed and it was well lit at least up to about 10 feet.
Now I'm using a Litepanel Micro with the diffusion and 1/4 warm filter for receptions and although a few folks here don't care for the light I do. It's lightweight, no wires and produces a good quality light (IMO) again though only up to about 10 feet. I'm fine with that because I will walk into the subject and if it's too much I can dim it down. I've done a bunch of weddings this way and so far I'm very happy with it BUT I've not used it with the HD100/110/200/250 cameras.
YMMV!
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #3
Trustee

Don,
Thanks for the reply, I used to have a AG-DV200 and 2 AJ-D215s which spoiled me as far as low light goes. The JVC simply cant compare in low light. I bought a IDX LED that was supposed to put out 35 watts. I didnt cut the mustard I wonder how the light panels compare to it. This ring is supposed to put out 50 watts if its even close to what I need maybe i'll try the lite panels next. Right now I figure I can put this ring on my mic and use it for interviews and really close up stuff then switch on my lowell for longer range stuff.

Randy
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Inner Circle

there you go. Sounds like you'll be set for light.
Good luck with the setup and let us know how it works out.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #5
Trustee

Well I got it, its better than a dark room but it doesnt throw far. It may be o.k. one of the things id like to improve on is not blinding people during interviews or table shots and this looks like it has the throw for that but not much more. I have 3 weddings this weekend i'll let you know how it holds up.
BTW what do you guys think of this?
http://www.bebob.de/international/lu..._lighting.html

id like to know how far it throws. Pricey but it may be worth it.
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I just ordered a Litepanels Micro today and my next wedding is in two weeks or so. I'll be sure to come back on here and post my experience with it.

That said, I've done a TON of research on this light now, and from what I can tell the only real complaints are the filter holder and plastic housing. Yes, I know some people complain about the light about, or the hot shoe mount, or whatever. But in all the research I've done I've seen very few complaints on those things overall. The reviews (both by professionals and regular users) are almost all very positive.
Old April 29th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #7
Trustee

Three times I've had one of these Litepanel Mircos in a shopping trolley - one step from buying, and each time choked on the price - $nz400! - including shipping.

There is not much else available...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
Three times I've had one of these Litepanel Mircos in a shopping trolley - one step from buying, and each time choked on the price - $nz400! - including shipping.

There is not much else available...
We shot a wedding in Chicago last weekend and picked up the Litepanel Micro at Calumet Photo. $370.00....as others have said, the plastic body is disappointing. The markup has to be huge. The performance of the light itself overall on a scale of 0 to 10 I would rate the performance at 7.5. We shot in HD and it did provide us with ample light even beyond the reported 10' range. Probably going to keep it. I am sold on the led's and will probably be purchasing the higher end Litepanel models.

-John
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #9
Trustee

Anyone here has experience with the quality of the higher end stuff? I tried the Sony LEDs which were pretty well built, but the light throw wasnt impressive. Zylight looks good but they have some designs issues as well n for that price point it is quite a concern
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #10
Trustee

I dont want to sound like Mr. moneybags but lighting is important to me espcially with the new light hungry HD cameras. I dont mind spending the money if I know it going to perform well, I bought the IDX LED a dew years ago and it just didnt give me near enough light since then I think they may have come along way in draw and in output. I just wish they would start comparing them to tungston lights to make it easier for me to decide. ie the light panel micro puts out the equivilant of X watts. The Bebob one I refrenced is about $700+ but I think it really throws some light. I may have to plan a trip to B&H to get some of these lights in my hands.

Randy
Old April 30th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I have a couple of Frezzi mini fill lights that I like. I just wish they softbox for them wasn't 150 bucks.
Old April 30th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moon View Post
We shot a wedding in Chicago last weekend and picked up the Litepanel Micro at Calumet Photo. $370.00....
Wow. It's only $299 at B&H and other places. Even on the Calumet website it's only listed at $340. Why'd you pay so much?
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Wow. It's only $299 at B&H and other places. Even on the Calumet website it's only listed at $340. Why'd you pay so much?
I hate news like this! Not sure...I was in a hurry to get to the wedding...I need to look into that. Thanks.

-John
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moon View Post
I hate news like this! Not sure...I was in a hurry to get to the wedding...I need to look into that. Thanks.

-John
Oh, okay. I wasn't sure if that was a typo, or if you got some accessories with it or what. Sorry to drop bad news on you like that.
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I don't use any lights................. (*Ducks*)

I tell my clients that when i first meet them thou and i show them footage from previous weddings and point out to them any 'low light' shots, just so they can understand the quality of the footage they will recieve.

I do weddings part-time, but still manage roughly 30 a year and none of them have ever complained.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying lighting at a wedding is a bad thing, it's just not my style.

Without a light, i am able to get much more candid shots when people don't know i'm filming (i'm very sneaky) and THAT IN ITSELF is the most popular compliment i get from my clients. "We love how natural and candid everybody is at the reception".
So............ i stick to that formular, you know the rule, if it ain't broke????

I use a PD170 (Z7 now) and the only problem i ever had with 'Too Much Noise' was a badly lit reception and i was using the Z1.
Ryan Lester is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques