View Full Version : Vegas80.exe process remains after Vegas shut down

Ian Stark
May 21st, 2008, 09:11 AM
Something unusual has started happening with Vegas. When I shut down or restart Windows (XP SP2) I get a 'program not responding' message relating to Vegas. This is even though I have closed down Vegas. On inspecting Task Manager I see there are actually several instances of Vegas80.exe and also of vidcap60.exe still running.

I don't shut down very often but I have noticed this three times now. The only thing I can think of that has changed in recent weeks is that I have installed the beta of the new MB Looks. Other than that nothing has changed.

I will report this to the beta testers group for Looks but I wonder if anyone has had any similar experience?

Ian . . .

Kim Olsson
May 21st, 2008, 03:15 PM
WinXP isn't that stable/perfect/wonderful operation system people would like to beleve... Well when we think twice about this... No OS can be...

But, I would like you to test change OS to Vista. Vegas is written for Vista, and compatible with XP, NOT the other way... Vegas 7 and down, is ONLY written for XP and there are no guarantees or support for Vista. but you go Vegas 8.0...

Even that Vegas 8.0 support both WinXP & Win Vista, Vegas 8.0 is Optimized for Win Vista...

Vista is the latest Windows, here on the market, and couldnt in any way have floped... Microsoft makes the strings... It have been a slow process overtaking Xp, but that is a normal process. It takes time. Look at win95 to win98, win98 to win2000, win2000 to winXP and now winXP to winvista, soon WinVista to Win 7 I beleve...

All people dont buy a new computer system, or change the OS because of it is new, people waiting until their next buy of a system, or upgrading when they have the money... We aren't all rich...

What happens if you kill the still running processes of your Vegas80.exe and vidcap60.exe??

Are they still running or are they being shut down ?

What after you restart the computer ?

Maybe they been locked by your MB looks, it is an BETA so...

Is it repeating after a restart?

/Kim

Ian Stark
May 21st, 2008, 04:08 PM
Hmmm . . . probably not going to change to Vista just yet - and certainly not just for the sake of resolving this issue! XP has generally been quite reliable and stable for me and this problem isn't causing a problem, it's just odd.

If I kill the vegas80.exe process . . . well the process is killed, period. That's kind of it. And after I shut down then there is no issue. I have tried an uninstall of MB Looks and the problem persists so I'm guessing that's not where the problem lies.

I'm reluctant to reinstall as I lose all my Vegas configuration. Perhaps it could be related to Kaspersky? I have set KAV to suspend when running Vegas and to restart on exiting. Maybe that's where the issue lies?

Edward Troxel
May 21st, 2008, 08:39 PM
I have seen this happen in the past. It was usually caused by a scanner driver loading a really old version at that time.

Ian Stark
May 22nd, 2008, 12:52 AM
Hmmm, that's interesting Edward, thank you.

I did find an instance of an old scanner driver which I removed, but sadly no effect. I also updated to the latest Nvidia drivers.

I have tried loading and closing Vegas with Kaspersky disabled - again no effect (I wonder if it would be different if I uninstalled KAV completely?).

What is worrying is that each instance of Vegas80.exe is hogging 25% CPU and around 114Mb RAM. I just tried loading and closing Vegas 4 times and yes, it takes the CPU up to 100%.

Maybe time to take it up with Sony.

Edward Troxel
May 22nd, 2008, 06:26 AM
In the cases I saw, another instance of Vegas would not open (after it was initially closed) until the first one was killed in the task manager.

Rick Diaz
May 22nd, 2008, 08:09 PM
Ian, have you tried turning off the auto-update feature in Vegas?

Graham Bernard
May 23rd, 2008, 12:10 AM
Ian, have you tried turning off the auto-update feature in Vegas?

Rick? Are you meaning "Use Net Notify . . . " in Options > Preferences > General ?

Grazie

Ian Stark
May 23rd, 2008, 12:20 AM
I'm guessing it's Net Notify . . . and, sadly, that doesn't have any effect!

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jeff Harper
May 23rd, 2008, 07:44 AM
Ian, just for kicks I am going to put my money on the issue being related to MB...

Ian Stark
May 23rd, 2008, 08:07 AM
That's where I first thought the problem lay - but I have completely uninstalled MB and it had no effect. I also raised it on the MB beta testers forum and got a 'that's not likely' kind of reply. No one else is experiencing the same issue (among the beta testers).

Jeff Harper
May 23rd, 2008, 08:19 AM
I missed that in your previous post, ooops.

Harold Brown
May 24th, 2008, 09:47 AM
You might try a system restore back to a point in time when it worked. Sounds like you might have something corrupted.

Ian Stark
May 24th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks Harold. I might have considered that had I known when the problem actually started. Could have been a few days ago. Could have been a few months ago. I suspect you are right though - something's got corrupted somewhere along the line.

I think my best course of action (for now) is going to be to remove and reinstall Vegas (again . . . and I had just got it back how I like it after the last reinstall - very annoying that you can't save a preferences file for such occasions).

Ian . . .

Ian Stark
May 29th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I eventually bit the bullet, uninstalled and re-installed Vegas.

No joy.

I've done some trawling around and come across a few issues that people have experienced that are similar to my issue but not quite the same. I have now submitted a trouble ticket to Sony and we'll see if that gets me anywhere.

Still interested to hear from anyone who may be experienceing the same issues.

Ian . . .

Kim Olsson
May 29th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Just test a reformat with vista (32bits or the 64bit, the 64bit version is 100% stable for me any way...).

It cant getting any worse...

Kim Olsson
May 29th, 2008, 03:01 PM
By the way, Magic bullet looks beta, is it aavilible for the rest of us?
Or is it just picked testers who get the chance of test it?

Ian Stark
May 29th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Hi Kim,

I got a response within 30 minutes from Sony Support and we're working through the problem. I must say I was very impressed with the speed of response - I was given to understand that they weren't that quick. The first solution didn't work though (this involved shutting down all but some key processes in Task Manager then trying to close Vegas normally) but let's see where else we go. Fingers crossed.

This pc is running XP, not Vista, and the problem has only started in the last couple of weeks so I suspect the issue is somewhere else rather than the OS. I'm not really that keen to shell out for a new OS on a product that has performed OK up to now (with the exception of ProType Titler - but don't get me started on that!!).

Regarding MB3, I was invited to join the beta testers as I have previously tested other Vegas plugins. I guess you could try contacting them and asking although I believe the beta testing is drawing to a close soon (which means release time is nigh?!).

Jeff Harper
May 29th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Good luck Ian. I was going to suggest a complete re-format, etc, because I believe things are often left behind in a program reinstall that leave problems intact when the program is re-installed. But that is a drastic measure for a relatively small issue, I suppose, and of course not guaranteed to work.

Ian Stark
May 29th, 2008, 03:19 PM
HA! Jeff I am SHAKING with fear at the thought!

Seriously, I am actually quite into the idea of reformatting and starting from scratch (and yes, I probably would then go the Vista route) but I have soooo much work on at the moment that this is just not sensible.

Let's see what Sony comes up with. I'll report back.

Kim Olsson
May 29th, 2008, 04:00 PM
great.

I wait till beta testing is over...

And yes, when uninstalling an application it removes everything but some few kilobytes... only problem is that these kilobytes is a couple of houndred files in forms of register inputs all over the register, sometime it leaves files in windows map, windows/system32 map, diffrent temp maps, and so on...
And sometime it cant remove every files because they are used, even if you dont use the application, like in locked processes and so...

Even sometimes there can be applications which isnt compatible with eitchother, becasue of shared dll files and other systems configurations....

Good luck

Ian Stark
May 29th, 2008, 04:04 PM
You'll get me moving onto Vista soon, Kim, I can tell!

Kim Olsson
May 29th, 2008, 04:10 PM
You should only see me as a pure informer, I love enlighten others with useble information, because I also appreciate when people enlighten me =)

Jeff Harper
May 29th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Ian, I have reformatted before in the middle of a busy spell, and it is a nightmare and certainly not advisable, as you already know!

Re: Vista, though you haven't asked, I'd like to share my experience with it. I was pretty hot for Vista w/SP1 when I first installed it, tried 64 bit and it worked fine but didn't support my E-Sata Card (despite the vendor having 64 bit drivers, which it turned out were not certified, hence they didn't work; but I digress).

I switched to 32 bit almost immediately and it was about the same but after awhile, and I hate to admit this, but "everyone" was right. I came to despise it. Unless the setting was somewhere that I missed, which is possible, my drives would go to sleep and I would have to wait everytime I saved a project for the drives to spin up...that got old real fast.

And needing to give permission for things as simple as moving something around on the start menu, that got old even faster. I know that setting can be turned off, and I tried it. However I went to install Adobe Acrobat Pro, it wouldn't install unless those security measures were turned ON, which took up hours to troubleshoot. So then I left it on, but what a pain. The added level of security is what partially attracted me to Vista in the first place, since I don't run virus protection.

The BIGGEST thing about Vista that I do not miss is the CONSTANT thrashing of my hard drives. My PC is quiet again, and that alone is so fantastic I will not switch again until 64 Vegas comes out and I hear the all clear for that.

Needless to say I am back with XP Pro and I haven't been this happy with my PC for ages. I actually dread Vegas 64 bit, because I know I'll try Vista again, and it will be back to that constant noise of my drives never shutting up.

I had thought the Mac commercials were a little harsh and a bit unfair with Vista, but after switching back to XP, I have to admit I now laugh along with them.

We will await with bated breath to hear the news of your solution. Should be interesting.

Ian Stark
May 29th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Aha - both sides of the Vista camp!

Well, perhaps this isn't the thread to get into a Vista good -v- evil debate! Although I do find both sides of the story very compelling.

I think the 'uninstall remnants' theory is very plausible. I will see if a registry check throws anything up - I'll run it when I go to bed, which is going to be right about . . . . . NOW!

Cheers!

Ian . . .

Jeff Harper
May 29th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Actually for the record, I am not against Vista per se. I really wanted to like it. I simply found it to be annoying. Overall it ran fine.

Ian Stark
May 30th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I have just bought a Vista laptop - fairly entry level (Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2Gb RAM etc) - running Home Premium. I also really wanted to like it but purely on an aesthetic level I'm luke warm. No major issues yet, just the usual trying to work out the Vista way as opposed to the XP way of doing stuff.

Stability wise it's fine - but then I haven't really put it through its paces yet - and probably never will, as this is just an email, web, word, excel etc machine. Having said that, I have installed Cakewalk Sonar on it and done a little field recording using an Edirol UA25 USB audio capture box. Worked out of the box which kinda pleasantly surprised me!

Anyway, back to the theme of the thread:

I ran Registry First Aid last night, just to see if that would pull out anything related to this issue. Nada. It found and fixed hundreds of bad entries but the problem persists.

Sony's first reposnse came back within 30 minutes but I haven't heard back from them following my reply, and that's now nearly 12 hours. I'm wondering if first line support just pulls solutions out of a prepared list, rather than actually analysing the problem fully. I guess that's to be expected and I'm still impressed with the speed of their first response. Reading a number of posts here I had the impression that you were lucky to get a response at all. Let's just hope that they have escalated my trouble ticket rather than lost it in a heap somewhere.