Vegas80.exe process remains after Vegas shut down at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 21st, 2008, 09:11 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Vegas80.exe process remains after Vegas shut down

Something unusual has started happening with Vegas. When I shut down or restart Windows (XP SP2) I get a 'program not responding' message relating to Vegas. This is even though I have closed down Vegas. On inspecting Task Manager I see there are actually several instances of Vegas80.exe and also of vidcap60.exe still running.

I don't shut down very often but I have noticed this three times now. The only thing I can think of that has changed in recent weeks is that I have installed the beta of the new MB Looks. Other than that nothing has changed.

I will report this to the beta testers group for Looks but I wonder if anyone has had any similar experience?

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:15 PM   #2
Major Player

WinXP isn't that stable/perfect/wonderful operation system people would like to beleve... Well when we think twice about this... No OS can be...

But, I would like you to test change OS to Vista. Vegas is written for Vista, and compatible with XP, NOT the other way... Vegas 7 and down, is ONLY written for XP and there are no guarantees or support for Vista. but you go Vegas 8.0...

Even that Vegas 8.0 support both WinXP & Win Vista, Vegas 8.0 is Optimized for Win Vista...

Vista is the latest Windows, here on the market, and couldnt in any way have floped... Microsoft makes the strings... It have been a slow process overtaking Xp, but that is a normal process. It takes time. Look at win95 to win98, win98 to win2000, win2000 to winXP and now winXP to winvista, soon WinVista to Win 7 I beleve...

All people dont buy a new computer system, or change the OS because of it is new, people waiting until their next buy of a system, or upgrading when they have the money... We aren't all rich...

What happens if you kill the still running processes of your Vegas80.exe and vidcap60.exe??

Are they still running or are they being shut down ?

What after you restart the computer ?

Maybe they been locked by your MB looks, it is an BETA so...

Is it repeating after a restart?

/Kim
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:08 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hmmm . . . probably not going to change to Vista just yet - and certainly not just for the sake of resolving this issue! XP has generally been quite reliable and stable for me and this problem isn't causing a problem, it's just odd.

If I kill the vegas80.exe process . . . well the process is killed, period. That's kind of it. And after I shut down then there is no issue. I have tried an uninstall of MB Looks and the problem persists so I'm guessing that's not where the problem lies.

I'm reluctant to reinstall as I lose all my Vegas configuration. Perhaps it could be related to Kaspersky? I have set KAV to suspend when running Vegas and to restart on exiting. Maybe that's where the issue lies?
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:39 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

I have seen this happen in the past. It was usually caused by a scanner driver loading a really old version at that time.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:52 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hmmm, that's interesting Edward, thank you.

I did find an instance of an old scanner driver which I removed, but sadly no effect. I also updated to the latest Nvidia drivers.

I have tried loading and closing Vegas with Kaspersky disabled - again no effect (I wonder if it would be different if I uninstalled KAV completely?).

What is worrying is that each instance of Vegas80.exe is hogging 25% CPU and around 114Mb RAM. I just tried loading and closing Vegas 4 times and yes, it takes the CPU up to 100%.

Maybe time to take it up with Sony.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:26 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

In the cases I saw, another instance of Vegas would not open (after it was initially closed) until the first one was killed in the task manager.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Ian, have you tried turning off the auto-update feature in Vegas?
Rick Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:10 AM   #8
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Diaz View Post
Ian, have you tried turning off the auto-update feature in Vegas?
Rick? Are you meaning "Use Net Notify . . . " in Options > Preferences > General ?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:20 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I'm guessing it's Net Notify . . . and, sadly, that doesn't have any effect!

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:44 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Ian, just for kicks I am going to put my money on the issue being related to MB...
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:07 AM   #11
Inner Circle

That's where I first thought the problem lay - but I have completely uninstalled MB and it had no effect. I also raised it on the MB beta testers forum and got a 'that's not likely' kind of reply. No one else is experiencing the same issue (among the beta testers).
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:19 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I missed that in your previous post, ooops.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #13
Regular Crew

You might try a system restore back to a point in time when it worked. Sounds like you might have something corrupted.
Old May 24th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Thanks Harold. I might have considered that had I known when the problem actually started. Could have been a few days ago. Could have been a few months ago. I suspect you are right though - something's got corrupted somewhere along the line.

I think my best course of action (for now) is going to be to remove and reinstall Vegas (again . . . and I had just got it back how I like it after the last reinstall - very annoying that you can't save a preferences file for such occasions).

Ian . . .
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Update

I eventually bit the bullet, uninstalled and re-installed Vegas.

No joy.

I've done some trawling around and come across a few issues that people have experienced that are similar to my issue but not quite the same. I have now submitted a trouble ticket to Sony and we'll see if that gets me anywhere.

Still interested to hear from anyone who may be experienceing the same issues.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...