View Full Version : Large images crashes Vegas totally

Kim Olsson
June 1st, 2008, 04:18 PM
Hoho, Today I created a 8000x5000 pixlar large image (png) in the application Comic Life... Vegas went crazy, the workflow got interrupted, and frooze Vegas time to time (had to restart Vegas). And when rendering, the countdown frooze and couldnt render finished (had to restart Vegas).

Why couldnt Sony fix this issue with large images in Vegas. The problem, like I would call it, have been in Vegas like forever...

Have all NLE this issue, or is it just Vegas?

James Harring
June 1st, 2008, 06:54 PM
yeah, got burned by this too, but I use smaller ones (HDV workflow) and don't really notice any significant quality issues. I think you are supposed to use PNG's but I am still using JPGs'.

Jeff Harper
June 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't be be upset if Vegas couldn't render a 8k x5k image. I do quite a few photo montages with it and it seems to struggle with large quantities of very high rez images, the performance just degrades when the images are "too large". While if I had a large image like yours and might try it, I certainly wouldn't surprised if it didn't go.

What processor are you using anyway, Kim?

Edward Troxel
June 2nd, 2008, 06:56 AM
When using lots of photos, it might also help to lower the ram preview to a very small number. It's worth a shot to try.

Kim Olsson
June 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Well I notice the different much, the large image is suposed to be able to pan over the whole image with a 720p (1280x720) output. On the image, is a comic lookalike look with several frames.

I know its a high resolution image (300dpi), But hell, what am I doing, rocket sience on Vegas??

I just though this kind of stuff was to the ordinary...

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz (an clocked E6700 2.67GHz), 4GB RAM 667MHz...

...Ok Edward, I will try that...

Michael Tobias
June 2nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
Here's a little tidbit that I picked up at NAB that I didn't know either. Video has a max pixel resolution of 4096x4096 so I asked what does that do to high rez stills. The guy running the class said that if you go over that pixel size that most NLE's will have a problem with it and you should just try to do no more than 3 times your output resolution (meaning if you're working in 720x480 don't have a still larger than 2160x1440 or in 1080 not more than 3240)

Anyhow I was skeptical so when I got back I tried a still that was 6000x5100 and sure enough Vegas crashed every time I tired to render that puppy. Then I resized the still down to 2160 x whatever it was PNG and sure enough it worked fab.

So it seems there may be something to this 4096 rez issue. Hope that helps.

Jeff Harper
June 2nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Vegas has been getting banged around a bit lately, so I would like to state for the benefit of anyone new to Vegas that many (including myself) feel that Vegas is among the best, if not the best NLE for creating still image projects. While there are specialty programs such as SlideShow Pro that do amazing things with photos, for an all-around video editing application Vegas is an excellent choice for turning photos into slideshows, etc. especially using the plug-ins such as Excalibur and Ultimate S.

Speaking of SlideshowPro, Kim, I wonder if there low-end version would be better suited for your large image. Probably not, but who knows?

Kim Olsson
June 2nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
Thnx Michael Tobias, I love being enlighten... And I love being smarter...

Kim Olsson
June 2nd, 2008, 12:33 PM
I checked the site for SlideshowPro Jeff Harper, But Im doing a photomontage based on 3d track motion, and SlideshowPro does not do that, thnx anyway.

Anyway, you sounds like you have operated several NLE's over the time?

Which other NLE's gives you the 3d track motion abbility?

Jeff Harper
June 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Actually, Kim, the best choices I know of are Final Cut Studio using Motion, Avid with Boris, or you can buy Boris or After Effects as a standalone product. Boris has a plug-in version for Vegas, but from what I hear it is is not a true plug-in.

From my understanding though, the seasoned Avid editors tend to use After Effects.

If you are serious about 3d, I think AE is the best option. I have that at the top of my list in priorities to learn. Very complicated, to me.

go here: http://www.videocopilot.net/products.html for cool AE stuff, or here for cool 3d photomontage templates done in AE: http://www.aeprojects.com/after-effects-templates/reflections-template/prod_19.html.

I don't know squat about 3d Kim, but those places above are the kind of places you end up when you want to do great 3d and track motion like the pros. Vegas' 3d track motion is supposed to be excellent for what you are paying for. There are no cheap or easy answers, I've looked for them, still can't find them!

Kim Olsson
June 2nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah, I really always wanted to play with Final Cut Studio Pro. Unfortunly its a mac software, and when it comes to Mac's, I know nothing. For me I have to relearn everything from the scratch. Im a PC user, and have never learned how Mac's working...

After Effects have been in my mind for a long time too. But It seems like a very big challange to learn the application. It's look like it will take about 300 hours to teach it. And its hard to find the right time...

Their is so many cool applications to consider, but the one I have picked/choosen to learn/master is Sony Vegas (from v6), Photoshop CS2/CS3, Particle Illusion, Crazy Talk =), Comic Life, Poser 7, and the major softwares have alot of plug-in's to research about too...

I only have had the digital video/photo/animation as a hobby for about 2-3 years...

I also looked at Avid, but it seems very advanced and not so friendly looking. And for my knowledge, Avid and Vegas is a video editing software with equal ability's/capacity, not much different, both of them is just a editing software with different looks...

The only reason why I doubt, is that Avid which is a more "professional" well-known editing software which you can count that the major plug-in's works with...

Ive done amazing work with 3d motion tracking with Vegas, I think. It just that I have had alot of unstability with Vegas. Not with regular "video editing", just when it comes to High Defenition, large images and 3d track motion. And that in a way of, computer restarts while rendering, rendering freeze's, workflow stucks, Vegas crashes, and so on...

That was also a reason to test another NLE....

Thnx for the response.

Edward Troxel
June 2nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
Remember that Red also works as a plugin for Vegas.

Jeff Harper
June 2nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Edward, does it work as a real plug in? I tried a trial version over a year ago, and while it was a plug-in, in launched in it's own interface and seemed no different than a standalone version....has that changed?

Edward Troxel
June 2nd, 2008, 03:05 PM
It's a plugin in the fact that it can be placed on the timeline. While editing the effect, it does open it's own interface and there are some restrictions such as if you're working with video, only the first frame is passed to the interface. In some cases it's still easier just using it as a standalone.

Jeff Harper
June 2nd, 2008, 03:10 PM
Do you use it? Is it worth the price in your opinion? Wouldn't one be better off with AE? I'll check back, gotta go...

Edward Troxel
June 2nd, 2008, 03:18 PM
I have used it from within Vegas but do not routinely do so. Vegas handles 99% of my needs on its own.

Rick Diaz
June 2nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
Just reduce the dpi to 72. 300 is only for printing.

Kim Olsson
June 3rd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Rick Diaz: Sure you have read the whole thread?

I must have a big resolution. My output will be 1280x720, and the image which I would like to use is 8000x5000 just becasue I have to pan and zoom.

The big image is like a cartoon page, where I pan and zoom, betweens the different cartoon boxes, I cant think of another word then boxes....

When using 72dpi, the big image will get pixelated mucho...

Anyway, I found out that 150dpi will do great, and render will work out without problems, also no interuppts in workflow...

Jeff Harper
June 3rd, 2008, 09:39 AM
Just try cutting the size down until you find one that works.
You don't have too many choices as I see it.

Stephanie Foerster
November 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I am trying to prep video files to be brought into slideshow pro and then be played on a 500 pixel wide player within a website. Does anyone out there have suggestions as to how to do this? 500 pixels wide is not standard for video, so am wondering the best way to have the video fill up the space, maintain aspect ratio, decent quality but not overload people's bandwidth. Help! I know there is a sizing option within Slideshow Pro, but want to get the clips to the optimal size first.

John Cline
November 27th, 2008, 06:25 PM
DPI has absolutely nothing to do with video, it is all about the image size in pixels, period. If the image size is 4000x3000, then it doesn't matter at all if the DPI is set to 72, 150, 300 or 1,000,000.

As far as really large images in Vegas are concerned, Vegas must store at least one UNCOMPRESSED copy of it in RAM. It doesn't matter if it's originally stored as JPG, PNG, TIF or BMP on disc, Vegas must uncompress it. The 32-bit Vegas v8.0 in WinXP is limited to a maximum of 2 GB of RAM address space just like every other 32-bit application. An 8000x5000 24-bit image is 120 megabytes plus whatever RAM Vegas and the OS need for other things. When Windows runs out of physical RAM, it starts using the hard drive as RAM, but this is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. Typically, when this happens, Vegas will appear to have crashed or locked up, but it hasn't actually crashed, it's just been slowed to a snail's pace. The patient hasn't died, it's just in a coma. Regardless, it has become essentially non-responsive.

I regularly use panorama images in Vegas which are at least 10000x3000. Using the 32-bit version of Vegas in WinXP will often exhibit the out of physical RAM problem and it will take forever to render. However, the new v8.1 64-bit Vegas in Vista64 can use as much RAM as you have installed. On a typical project that would bring the 32-bit Vegas to it's knees, the 64-bit version just screams along on my quad-core machine with 8 GB of RAM.

Stephanie Foerster
November 27th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for your reply, but I'm actually talking about a different application, just cannot figure out how to post a new topic/thread for some reason.

The application to which I'm referring is called Slideshow Pro, and the size of the player I'll be using on a website is 500 pixels wide. I would like suggestions from anyone out there regarding how to optimize video for non-typical sizes (e.g., not 320x240 or 640x480), maintain quality in terms of resolution but not overload the SLIDESHOW PRO player. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!! I'm using Final Cut and Compressor to export the original video clips.

Thanks.

Jason Robinson
November 28th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I checked the site for SlideshowPro Jeff Harper, But Im doing a photomontage based on 3d track motion, and SlideshowPro does not do that, thnx anyway.

Anyway, you sounds like you have operated several NLE's over the time?

Which other NLE's gives you the 3d track motion abbility?

Here is an example of a photo / video montage that is entirely 3D track motion. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvjKNwcupdw) Not possible in many programs besides AE & Vegas type programs.

James Harring
November 29th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Hoho, Today I created a 8000x5000 pixlar large image (png) in the application Comic Life... Vegas went crazy, the workflow got interrupted, and frooze Vegas time to time (had to restart Vegas). And when rendering, the countdown frooze and couldnt render finished (had to restart Vegas).

Why couldnt Sony fix this issue with large images in Vegas. The problem, like I would call it, have been in Vegas like forever...

Have all NLE this issue, or is it just Vegas?

My notes indicate 4096x4096 is max size Vegas can handle.
PNG is recommended format, but JPG (among others) is acceptable.
Optimum resolution should be between 150-300 DPI, though this spec is far less important than size.

John Cline
November 29th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Optimum resolution should be between 150-300 DPI, though this spec is far less important than size.

Like I said, DPI has _absolutely_ nothing to do with video, it is ALL about the image size in pixels. Neither Vegas, nor any other NLE, pays any attention whatsoever to the DPI setting in an image file's header.

Also, 4096x4096 is the maximum project size, Vegas will import image files much larger than this assuming that you have enough RAM to handle it.

Kim Olsson
December 7th, 2008, 12:42 PM
thnx for all replys u all...