View Full Version : More Tyro Idiotic Questions on XDCAM Transfer

Paul Chiu
June 7th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I used XDCAM Transfer on a macbook and selected just about every category i could in preferences.

the outcome after "Import all clip" was some untitled directory on my external SATA drive with 2 types of files:
1. a MOV file that plays in quicktime pro
2. some XML file

i kind of remember someone here mentioned some other file or some other directory structure, so i simply copy the whole BPAV directory from the SxS card next to the above untitled directory with the MOV and XML files.

then i erase the SxS card for the next job.

is this correct?
what should i have done instead?

thanks!!!!

paul

Mike Williams
June 7th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Hi Paul.

This is my workflow and it works for me although it has been a hard learning curve.... as simple as some may make it out to be.

"plug in cam" :)

I open and save a new project in FCP
Open system settings and set everything to your project scratch, autosave etc
click on import Files...xdcam
out pops the xdcam browser with your clips in a random order (choose to sort clips by date modified so they fall into orer) I can't seem to make this permanent.
select your clips and rename them using the clip title box
click import

I tought myself as I hate manuals. This has worked for me but I don't make any in out points with the xdcam browser software. I have monster HDs and just load everything. I also have raids and other back up disks so.... i'm not in laptop land. It has been recommended to burn your data to DVD DL's.

I have tested rebuilding an entire project from regular DVDs. It was a little bit of a PIA (exchanging diks) but really quite easy!

Please don't do what I did and rush the process. I lost a crucial clip by not quickly scrubbing down the line to see if everything made it in.

Good luck and I hope I didn't add to the confusion.

Paul Chiu
June 9th, 2008, 08:22 PM
so i did the import as you say under FCP6.0.3 and it created a MOV file and a XML file and placed both within the XDCAM transfer directory, in a directory i named.

now, how does this differ just using Sony XDCAM Transfer software and did the import just with that?

also, if i simply copy everything inside the SxS during the session completely onto my MBP, wouldn't that be "FAIL-SAFE" as well?

during a shoot, i may not have help doing imports and copying an entire SxS using the Apple Finder should be pretty straight forward and easy.

right?

paul

Hi Paul.

This is my workflow and it works for me although it has been a hard learning curve.... as simple as some may make it out to be.

"plug in cam" :)

I open and save a new project in FCP
Open system settings and set everything to your project scratch, autosave etc
click on import Files...xdcam
out pops the xdcam browser with your clips in a random order (choose to sort clips by date modified so they fall into orer) I can't seem to make this permanent.
select your clips and rename them using the clip title box
click import

I tought myself as I hate manuals. This has worked for me but I don't make any in out points with the xdcam browser software. I have monster HDs and just load everything. I also have raids and other back up disks so.... i'm not in laptop land. It has been recommended to burn your data to DVD DL's.

I have tested rebuilding an entire project from regular DVDs. It was a little bit of a PIA (exchanging diks) but really quite easy!

Please don't do what I did and rush the process. I lost a crucial clip by not quickly scrubbing down the line to see if everything made it in.

Good luck and I hope I didn't add to the confusion.