More Tyro Idiotic Questions on XDCAM Transfer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 7th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #1
Major Player

More Tyro Idiotic Questions on XDCAM Transfer

I used XDCAM Transfer on a macbook and selected just about every category i could in preferences.

the outcome after "Import all clip" was some untitled directory on my external SATA drive with 2 types of files:
1. a MOV file that plays in quicktime pro
2. some XML file

i kind of remember someone here mentioned some other file or some other directory structure, so i simply copy the whole BPAV directory from the SxS card next to the above untitled directory with the MOV and XML files.

then i erase the SxS card for the next job.

is this correct?
what should i have done instead?

thanks!!!!

paul
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Still getting used to it

Hi Paul.

This is my workflow and it works for me although it has been a hard learning curve.... as simple as some may make it out to be.

"plug in cam" :)

I open and save a new project in FCP
Open system settings and set everything to your project scratch, autosave etc
click on import Files...xdcam
out pops the xdcam browser with your clips in a random order (choose to sort clips by date modified so they fall into orer) I can't seem to make this permanent.
select your clips and rename them using the clip title box
click import

I tought myself as I hate manuals. This has worked for me but I don't make any in out points with the xdcam browser software. I have monster HDs and just load everything. I also have raids and other back up disks so.... i'm not in laptop land. It has been recommended to burn your data to DVD DL's.

I have tested rebuilding an entire project from regular DVDs. It was a little bit of a PIA (exchanging diks) but really quite easy!

Please don't do what I did and rush the process. I lost a crucial clip by not quickly scrubbing down the line to see if everything made it in.

Good luck and I hope I didn't add to the confusion.
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Mike.

so i did the import as you say under FCP6.0.3 and it created a MOV file and a XML file and placed both within the XDCAM transfer directory, in a directory i named.

now, how does this differ just using Sony XDCAM Transfer software and did the import just with that?

also, if i simply copy everything inside the SxS during the session completely onto my MBP, wouldn't that be "FAIL-SAFE" as well?

during a shoot, i may not have help doing imports and copying an entire SxS using the Apple Finder should be pretty straight forward and easy.

right?

paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williams View Post
Hi Paul.

This is my workflow and it works for me although it has been a hard learning curve.... as simple as some may make it out to be.

"plug in cam" :)

I open and save a new project in FCP
Open system settings and set everything to your project scratch, autosave etc
click on import Files...xdcam
out pops the xdcam browser with your clips in a random order (choose to sort clips by date modified so they fall into orer) I can't seem to make this permanent.
select your clips and rename them using the clip title box
click import

I tought myself as I hate manuals. This has worked for me but I don't make any in out points with the xdcam browser software. I have monster HDs and just load everything. I also have raids and other back up disks so.... i'm not in laptop land. It has been recommended to burn your data to DVD DL's.

I have tested rebuilding an entire project from regular DVDs. It was a little bit of a PIA (exchanging diks) but really quite easy!

Please don't do what I did and rush the process. I lost a crucial clip by not quickly scrubbing down the line to see if everything made it in.

Good luck and I hope I didn't add to the confusion.
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds