View Full Version : nanoFlash Early Adopter Program

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Schell
June 23rd, 2008, 07:35 PM
We have started an early adopter program for nanoFlash. If you would like to get early access to this high-quality miniature HD recorder/player, then please send an e-mail to sales@convergent-design.com with the subject "nanoFlash Early Adopter". There will be a nice incentive associated with this program in exchange for your feedback.

To everyone who has pre-ordered the Flash XDR (with deposit), you will shortly be receiving an e-mail from us with a projected delivery date and a bonus upgrade (at no additional charge).

The nanoFlash is in PCB layout now and progressing very well to a September delivery date. (A full update on Flash XDR and nanoFlash will be e-mailed and posted on 24-Jun-08).

John Richard
June 24th, 2008, 08:13 AM
"Bonus Upgrade"...

You're driving us crazy with anticipation!

Any hints?

Mike Schell
June 24th, 2008, 11:23 AM
"Bonus Upgrade"...

You're driving us crazy with anticipation!

Any hints?

Hi John-
Look for an e-mail shortly...

Cheers-

Dean Harrington
July 6th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Will commit later this month as I'm on a shot out in the boonies and have got to make some credit card payments! Just to let you know, I'm keen!

Mike Schell
July 9th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Will commit later this month as I'm on a shot out in the boonies and have got to make some credit card payments! Just to let you know, I'm keen!

Hi Dean-
Great, we're burning the midnight oil to get it finished.

Ray Bell
July 10th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Can you guys give us a hint of whats being offered as a early adopter??

Mike Schell
July 10th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Can you guys give us a hint of whats being offered as a early adopter??

Hi Ray-
You get early access to the product and a financial incentive in return for providing us feedback. Send an e-mail to sales@convergent-design.com for more details.

Henry Olonga
July 31st, 2008, 08:19 AM
I have sent you the details needed to be on the early adopter program.I have a couple of questions re. nanoflash.

1) I will also need to buy both the HDMI additional converters that you speak of here as my camera is HDMI output. How much are they and can you simply add them both to the bill or will i have to do that seperately?

2) How will I need to power the device as it presumably does not have a battery built in.

3) Does the package come with a mini HD-SDI cable to connect the nanoflash to the mini nanoConnect or nanoview.

4) Do you also supply a wall power adaptor for household power? If so will you be doing a 240 V European version?

5) My camera supports XV colour.Will that be captured to the codec?

Best wishes and thanks for taking the time to reply.This is going to be an awesome product.
Henry

Mike Schell
July 31st, 2008, 09:06 AM
I have sent you the details needed to be on the early adopter program.I have a couple of questions re. nanoflash.

1) I will also need to buy both the HDMI additional converters that you speak of here as my camera is HDMI output. How much are they and can you simply add them both to the bill or will i have to do that seperately?

2) How will I need to power the device as it presumably does not have a battery built in.

3) Does the package come with a mini HD-SDI cable to connect the nanoflash to the mini nanoConnect or nanoview.

4) Do you also supply a wall power adaptor for household power? If so will you be doing a 240 V European version?

5) My camera supports XV colour.Will that be captured to the codec?

Best wishes and thanks for taking the time to reply.This is going to be an awesome product.
Henry

Hi Henry-
Thanks for the excellent questions!
1) The nanoConnect at $395 does HDMI to HD-SDI conversion and would be used for recording. The nanoView at $325 does HD-SDI to HDMI conversion and would be the ideal companion for playback to an HDMI monitor or TV. The nanoConnect is readily available, but unfortunately, the nanoView is still in design (limited engineering resources) so we may have to suggest an alternative product. I'll have more details as we get closer to shipping.

We can add the nanoConnect to your order now, no problem.

2) nanoFlash has a small 4-pin locking Hirose connector for power input. So, we could adapt to many different power sources as the box accepts has a very wide input voltage range: 6.5 to 20V at about 8W of power. We are designing a camcorder battery adapter plate as well as a cable for a D-tap from an IDX/Anton-Bauer battery or for connection to the Bebob Coco adapter.

3) If you order the nanoConnect / nanoView with the nanoFlash, then we include a short coax cable for connection to our box as well as a short power cable to draw power from the nanoFlash. (nanoFlash has a 5V power-out tap).

4) Yes, we supply a wall adapter with the Flash XDR and the nanoFlash. It is rated at 90 to 240 VAC 50/60 Hz with a 12V output.

5) To be honest, I don't know how the XV color is mapped in the HDMI output. We simply take the HDMI signal and map it bit for bit into the HD-SDI stream, so it's up to the camera to determine how this color space is processed.

Henry Olonga
August 3rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks for replying Mike.makes everything clear now.Henry

Dean Harrington
August 10th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Mike, I made the deposit for the nanno/Flash unit today. Finally, got free on some of the cash outflow! Let us know when the units will begin shipping for evaluation!!!

Yeo Wee Han
August 11th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Mike,

I have sent an email to you over a week ago and one to Convergent over a month ago and I have not gotten any reply. To make things simple, here are my enquries:

1) Is the Nanoflash early adopter program open to international customers?

2) Is my warranty international (any problems will mean that I go back to my local reseller in Singapore).

Looking forward to your reply.

Bregards,

WeeHan

Dan Keaton
August 11th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Dear WeeHan,

I am sorry that you have not received a response to your emails.

I will check with Mike today and get you the answers as quickly as possible.

Dan Keaton
August 11th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Duplicate Post

Mike Schell
August 11th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Mike,

I have sent an email to you over a week ago and one to Convergent over a month ago and I have not gotten any reply. To make things simple, here are my enquries:

1) Is the Nanoflash early adopter program open to international customers?

2) Is my warranty international (any problems will mean that I go back to my local reseller in Singapore).

Looking forward to your reply.

Bregards,

WeeHan

Hi WeeHan-
I apologize for the slow reply. We have been working very long days to ship out our Flash XDR units. Look for a response to your e-mail today.

James Huenergardt
August 11th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I too have sent out a couple emails and a PM to Mike.

I know you guys are working hard. I'm very interested in the early adopter program and was wondering if it was still open.

Thanks,

Jim

Dan Keaton
August 12th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Dear James,

Thank you for your patience.

Mike and the engineers are working 16 hours a day.

Everyone was working to get the first "Alpha" units shipped. This is now accomplished.

Mike is busy finalizing the design of the nanoFlash. The goal is to be able to show it at IBC. He is also fielding the calls and emails.

We have the "Alpha" Flash XDR units out in the field. We are hoping for some footage that we can post. The initial reports are that the users are happy with the footage.

Engineers are working on "porting" (transferring) the Quicktime code to the Flash XDR. Others are working on features and the menu system.

Other projects include adding the ability to format the CompactFlash cards in the Flash XDR / nanoFlash. This was planned all along, but not included in the "Alpha" firmware.

While all of this is happening, parts are arriving for the first volume production run which is scheduled for around August 20th.

David Issko
August 13th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I've been reading up about the XDR & nf and now that I'm about to take delivery of my EX3 camera, I have just opted in for the nf early adopters program. Emailed my form and look forward to taking delivery of the unit in due course.

Well done to everyone who has had a hand in the development of both units.

Mike Schell
August 13th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I too have sent out a couple emails and a PM to Mike.

I know you guys are working hard. I'm very interested in the early adopter program and was wondering if it was still open.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim-
I just re e-mailed the form (I guess the first message didn't arrive). Anyway, I apologize for the delays.

Craig Mieritz
September 17th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Hi-

I've also emailed the sales email address about participating in the early adopter program but thought I should post here also. I am starting production on a documentary within a month and would really like to give this a shot. The current 50Mbit data rate limitation wouldn't be an problem for this shoot. It would be a good test, since I'll be out in the field. This would be with an EX-3. My email is craig <at> ubu-roi dot com. Very exciting stuff.

Thanks-
Craig

Dean Harrington
September 18th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Hi-

I've also emailed the sales email address about participating in the early adopter program but thought I should post here also. I am starting production on a documentary within a month and would really like to give this a shot. The current 50Mbit data rate limitation wouldn't be an problem for this shoot. It would be a good test, since I'll be out in the field. This would be with an EX-3. My email is craig <at> ubu-roi dot com. Very exciting stuff.

Thanks-
Craig

the nanno/flash may not be ready that soon but I believe the XDR will be.

Mike Schell
September 18th, 2008, 02:17 AM
the nanno/flash may not be ready that soon but I believe the XDR will be.

The Flash XDR is shipping now, while the nanoFlash is still in design. We have a major nanoFlash announcement coming soon....

Dean Harrington
September 18th, 2008, 02:29 AM
The Flash XDR is shipping now, while the nanoFlash is still in design. We have a major nanoFlash announcement coming soon....

I await with baited breath!

Piotr Wozniacki
September 18th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I await with baited breath!

I can assure you, you will be delighted....

David Issko
September 18th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I can assure you, you will be delighted....

Oh yes, cannot wait! I have a big corporate coming up in December, so I hope to have my nanoflash by then.

Craig Mieritz
September 18th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Hi-

I might come up with a different workflow for this one particular project, so I'd still be interested in the nanoFlash early adopter program. If it is still open?
Thanks-
Craig

Dean Harrington
September 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM

When will you make that announcement?

Mike Schell
September 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
We are working out the final details now. All I can say is soon and that you will be happy with the announcement. Hang tight, a little longer.

Henry Olonga
September 30th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Hello Mike,
Hope you got my e-mail.I opted in and then out of the early adopter program but am glad to say I am back in.Sorry for to-ing and fro-ing but in light of all the recent changes to Scarlet and the flurry of new DSLRs that shoot video my plans changed and I cannot wait to begin shooting my videos sooner.Best wishes.Henry

Mike Schell
September 30th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Hello Mike,
Hope you got my e-mail.I opted in and then out of the early adopter program but am glad to say I am back in.Sorry for to-ing and fro-ing but in light of all the recent changes to Scarlet and the flurry of new DSLRs that shoot video my plans changed and I cannot wait to begin shooting my videos sooner.Best wishes.Henry

Hi Henry-
Excellent, you will not be disappointed.

Dean Harrington
November 1st, 2008, 07:40 AM

What about that announcement? Did I miss something?

Dan Keaton
November 1st, 2008, 08:11 AM
Dear Dean,

No, you have not missed the announcement.

I do not know when the announcement will be made. All of the details have not been nailed down, as of this date.

Mike has been listening to various suggestions.

I am very confident that you will be pleased when the announcement is made.

Michael Palermo
November 3rd, 2008, 08:58 AM
Hi Mike, I sent you an email when you shipped my XDR that I wanted to order a Nanoflash as well. Did you get that?

Ray Bell
November 14th, 2008, 05:57 AM
We are working out the final details now. All I can say is soon and that you will be happy with the announcement. Hang tight, a little longer.

Whats the status with the announcement... any new news here?

Dan Keaton
November 15th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Dear Ray,

Sorry, but I can't spill the beans just yet, however they are great beans! (Grin)

Piotr Wozniacki
November 18th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Being well informed, I can only confirm the wait is worthwhile :)

Ray Bell
November 22nd, 2008, 05:46 PM
I'm pretty sure I know what it is, but like you guys I can't say what it is because,
well then everybody would know... then I'd have to.... oh well :-)

Bill Ward
November 22nd, 2008, 06:29 PM
Let me guess:

The XDR and Nano have been upgraded to modular status...now you have a choice of over 9 billion combinations of casings, chipsets, card slots, input modules, and capacities ranging from 4 8gig CF cards to a 3K-terrabyte, self-propelled Cray tower that connects to your camera-mounted XDR with a 6-gauge 220V oven wire harness. (see optional auxiliary power module for remote field use here: Mini nuclear reactors to power remote areas - Innovation- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27845359/) )

No wait...this is that other camera system...the "O'hara" was it?

David Issko
November 22nd, 2008, 09:55 PM
self-propelled Cray tower that connects to your camera-mounted XDR with a 6-gauge 220V oven wire harness.

What lengths of harness are going to be available? How many extra Tonnes (Tons) over the 20Kg limit shall I tell the airlines the Cray tower will be?

Thanks for the advance notice. I await your reply.

Dan Keaton
November 23rd, 2008, 05:20 AM
Dear Bill,

Great Suggestions!

But wouldn't you like us to go wireless to the Cray Tower?

(Grin)

Bill Ward
November 23rd, 2008, 01:33 PM
I understand that during Beta testing, people who inadvertently wandered into the wireless pathway were atomized.

While a less than optimal event, not all the engineers believed this to be a deal-breaker. ;}

David Issko
November 23rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
Dear Bill,
But wouldn't you like us to go wireless to the Cray Tower?
(Grin)

Bluetooth will be just fine.

Dean Harrington
November 27th, 2008, 06:27 AM
About Dec 1st I'll be back with a question on progress with the nano.

Dean Harrington
December 3rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
It's Dec 1st in my neck of the woods and while I follow threads on XDR/Nano and understand the hard work being engaged in by Convergent Design, I'd like a realistic estimate on when Nano/Flash will be released. I've given up on it being released this year although I could be wrong on that score.

Dean Harrington
December 15th, 2008, 04:13 PM
It's Dec 1st in my neck of the woods and while I follow threads on XDR/Nano and understand the hard work being engaged in by Convergent Design, I'd like a realistic estimate on when Nano/Flash will be released. I've given up on it being released this year although I could be wrong on that score.

OK Dan and Mike ~ what's up with the nano?

Dan Keaton
December 15th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Dear Dean,

Mike is out sick today, so I will attempt to answer your questions.

No, we will not be able to deliver the nanoFlash in December. We apologize for the inconvenience and delay.

We have added three significant features to the nanoFlash.

There are multiple circuit boards in the nanoFlash. The design of one remaining board is not yet complete. This board was changed to add the new features.

Another change that we made was to significantly increase the size of the display on the nanoFlash.

Now it is the same size of the Flash XDR, so that the display will be much easier to read, convey more information, and we will be able use most of the same firmware in both units.

Dean Harrington
December 18th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I await more news and figured that the nano/flash would not be finished this year. I hope a realistic date for delivery will be forthcoming early next year.

Dan Keaton
December 19th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Dear Dean,

We appreciate your patience.

As you know, we have not meet all of our self-imposed deadlines and schedules.

At this time the nanoFlash is progressing nicely. Over the next two weeks, we expect to finish the circuit board layout. The electronic schematics are almost done.

We just added another feature today to accommodate the various ways the nanoFlash will be used.

Overall, we want to meet any deadline or promise that we make. For this reason, we do not want to provide an exact date, until we are absolutely certain we can meet that date. By this I mean that we will be providing a rollout date when we are within approximately 30 days of delivering the nanoFlash.

With the extra features that we are providing, we feel that you will be very pleased.

Dean Harrington
December 19th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Thanks guys ~ await with baited breath!

Dan Keaton
December 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Dear Dean,

We have been listening to feature requests for the nanoFlash.

You may be able to guess some of the new features, but others will be a complete surprise.

We truely believe that you will be pleased.

I will be traveling for the next two days, so I may be out of touch for a while.