View Full Version : How do I import a VIDEO_TS file into Vegas 8 Pro?

Norris Combs
July 28th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I tried File--Import--Media, then selected the VIDEO_TS clip on my hard drive. Didn't work. What do I need to do?

Thanks!

Ian Stark
July 28th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Norris, VIDEO_TS is the name given to the folder on a DVD that contains the video files. TS stands for Title Set and it is a standard part of all DVD structures. It isn't a video file itself but it should contain video files with a .VOB extension.

VOB is based on the MPEG-2 format so in fact you could just rename the file with a MPG extension and that would work fine. But you don't need to do that, as you can import the file directly into Vegas.

To import VOB files you need to go to the import media dialogue, select All Files (not All Media Files as that won't expose the VOB files) and import as usual.

I'm not sure how copy protection on the original media might affect your ability to convert and import. Keep this in mind if you are having problems.

VOB files are limited to (I think) 1Gb so if you have multiple VOBs you will have to join the pieces together. Also, other forum members have recommended that the VOB, once imported, should then be rendered out to AVI for easier editing (I believe the frame accuracy of the imported VOB leaves something to be desired?).

Some other limitations and suggestions are mentioned in this thread from 2006 (which may now be outdated with additional releases of Vegas):

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=69646&highlight=vob

Edward Troxel
July 28th, 2008, 08:29 AM
File - Import - DVD Camcorder Disc and then point it to the folder containing the Video_TS folder.

Norris Combs
July 28th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Ian and Edward,

Thanks!!!

Ian Stark
July 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the extra info Edward. I didn't realise that could be done.