How do I import a VIDEO_TS file into Vegas 8 Pro? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 28th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #1
Major Player

How do I import a VIDEO_TS file into Vegas 8 Pro?

I tried File--Import--Media, then selected the VIDEO_TS clip on my hard drive. Didn't work. What do I need to do?

Thanks!
Norris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Norris, VIDEO_TS is the name given to the folder on a DVD that contains the video files. TS stands for Title Set and it is a standard part of all DVD structures. It isn't a video file itself but it should contain video files with a .VOB extension.

VOB is based on the MPEG-2 format so in fact you could just rename the file with a MPG extension and that would work fine. But you don't need to do that, as you can import the file directly into Vegas.

To import VOB files you need to go to the import media dialogue, select All Files (not All Media Files as that won't expose the VOB files) and import as usual.

I'm not sure how copy protection on the original media might affect your ability to convert and import. Keep this in mind if you are having problems.

VOB files are limited to (I think) 1Gb so if you have multiple VOBs you will have to join the pieces together. Also, other forum members have recommended that the VOB, once imported, should then be rendered out to AVI for easier editing (I believe the frame accuracy of the imported VOB leaves something to be desired?).

Some other limitations and suggestions are mentioned in this thread from 2006 (which may now be outdated with additional releases of Vegas):

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...&highlight=vob
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

File - Import - DVD Camcorder Disc and then point it to the folder containing the Video_TS folder.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Major Player

Ian and Edward,

Thanks!!!
Norris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks for the extra info Edward. I didn't realise that could be done.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...