View Full Version : Is it possible to combine 2 video events, and

Norris Combs
July 29th, 2008, 11:42 PM
have them played side by side? For example, I have footage of my 2 sons skiing separately. I want to put a video clip of Older Son (OS) and another clip of Younger Son (YS) together. So that they both can be seen skiing down the slopes together on the screen, even though the actual events took place at different times. The final result is akin to a split screen with OS on one side and YS on the other.

Thanks,

Michael Wisniewski
July 30th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Yup,

1. Place one video clip above the other on the timeline.
2. Move the playhead/scrubber onto the video clips, so you can see the results in the video preview.
3. Click on the Event/Pan Crop button of the top video, drag the frame sideways (that's the big box with the F)
4. Do the same for the 2nd video, in the opposite direction
5. Adjust as needed.

Paul Kellett
July 30th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Norris, you need this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkphFAZN-iI

It's very easy to use.

Paul.

Edward Troxel
July 30th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Norris, take a look at my newsletters (http://www.jetdv.com) and you'll find many ways to do this. Particularly, start with the first four issues which deal with creating a PIP.

Norris Combs
August 4th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys!

Paul Kellett: Is it possible to download and save the youtube video on my PC?

John Rofrano
August 4th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I have a tutorial on my web site that shows you how to do a split screen in Vegas. It's called: Creating a Split Screen using a Mask ('http://www.johnrofrano.com/tutorials/split_screen_mask.htm')

~jr

Norris Combs
August 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks John, appreciate it!

Paul Kellett
August 6th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Norris.
If you download and install the latest realplayer it comes with a function to download most videos from the web.

Paul.

Norris Combs
August 7th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Guys, I've a follow-up question.

The methods described so far have allowed me to display 2 separate video clips side by side on the screen. However, I'm not able to compress the width of the original videos. It's more like cropping, and only shows one person. Let me explain, Older Son (OS) skis along side his mother (M). I'm able to crop & move OS video clip to one side of the screen, so Younger Son's clip (YS) can be on the other side. However, when viewing, (M) is out of the picture. If I were able to squeeze the video clip of OS and M horizontally, both of them would still appear on screen, albeit skinnier. Hope it's clear enough so you can understand what I'm asking. I guess I'd like to be able to keep the whole contents of the video, just make it skinnier and taller. Right now, the only way I can keep both M and OS on screen is by reducing the original clip in both X and Y dimensions, while keeping the aspect ratio intact. It would be better if I don't have to keep the 16 x 9 aspect ratio.

Thanks,

John Rofrano
August 7th, 2008, 09:13 PM
If you want to squeeze the video you need to use Track Motion. Just unselect the <b>Lock Aspect Ratio</b> button and it will let you stretch the video however you'd like.

~jr