Is it possible to combine 2 video events, and at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 29th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Is it possible to combine 2 video events, and

have them played side by side? For example, I have footage of my 2 sons skiing separately. I want to put a video clip of Older Son (OS) and another clip of Younger Son (YS) together. So that they both can be seen skiing down the slopes together on the screen, even though the actual events took place at different times. The final result is akin to a split screen with OS on one side and YS on the other.

Thanks,
Norris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #2
Wrangler

Yup,

1. Place one video clip above the other on the timeline.
2. Move the playhead/scrubber onto the video clips, so you can see the results in the video preview.
3. Click on the Event/Pan Crop button of the top video, drag the frame sideways (that's the big box with the F)
4. Do the same for the 2nd video, in the opposite direction
5. Adjust as needed.
Old July 30th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #3
Trustee

Norris, you need this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkphFAZN-iI

It's very easy to use.

Paul.
Old July 30th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Norris, take a look at my newsletters and you'll find many ways to do this. Particularly, start with the first four issues which deal with creating a PIP.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys!

Paul Kellett: Is it possible to download and save the youtube video on my PC?
Old August 4th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Sponsor: VASST

I have a tutorial on my web site that shows you how to do a split screen in Vegas. It's called: Creating a Split Screen using a Mask

~jr
Old August 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks John, appreciate it!
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #8
Trustee

Norris.
If you download and install the latest realplayer it comes with a function to download most videos from the web.

Paul.
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #9
Major Player

Guys, I've a follow-up question.

The methods described so far have allowed me to display 2 separate video clips side by side on the screen. However, I'm not able to compress the width of the original videos. It's more like cropping, and only shows one person. Let me explain, Older Son (OS) skis along side his mother (M). I'm able to crop & move OS video clip to one side of the screen, so Younger Son's clip (YS) can be on the other side. However, when viewing, (M) is out of the picture. If I were able to squeeze the video clip of OS and M horizontally, both of them would still appear on screen, albeit skinnier. Hope it's clear enough so you can understand what I'm asking. I guess I'd like to be able to keep the whole contents of the video, just make it skinnier and taller. Right now, the only way I can keep both M and OS on screen is by reducing the original clip in both X and Y dimensions, while keeping the aspect ratio intact. It would be better if I don't have to keep the 16 x 9 aspect ratio.

Thanks,
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #10
Sponsor: VASST

If you want to squeeze the video you need to use Track Motion. Just unselect the <b>Lock Aspect Ratio</b> button and it will let you stretch the video however you'd like.

~jr

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...