View Full Version : Which digital camera do you have?

Pages : [1] 2

Michael Wisniewski
August 5th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Which digital camera do you have? - Canon G2

Adrian Douglas
August 5th, 2003, 07:08 AM
At the moment the only digital camera I have is a Canon S45. Its a good little 4.0MP unit with full manual control but is limited by the lens. I'm sticking with my EOS 1nRS and EOS 5 until Canon comes out with a full frame 8MP+ SLR camera capable of at least 8fps like the 1D. A 1DRS with a pellicle mirror and 6 millisecond shutter release would be a dream

Chris Hurd
August 5th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Currently I'm using a Canon PowerShot S230 Elph for snapshots. Planning to "graduate" soon to the S400, a 4-megapixel Elph. These are excellent travelling cameras, but nothing serious.

Would love to have a 10D but the plus-glass investment of $3K or so leaves it out of reach for now. The wife has an older Rebel X, with two Sigma lenses, a 28-80 and a 70-300.

Boyd Ostroff
August 5th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Currently using a Nikon CoolPix 5700 which I just got. My first digital camera was a CoolPix 900 back in 1999, then I upgraded to a CoolPix 990 a couple years later. Have also bought a couple of their smaller cameras for family members. I considered going the DSLR route this time, but all my Nikkor lenses are the old type without autofocus so this would have been expensive. Aside from that, I prefer the smaller, lighter, self-contained style of camera.

Ken Tanaka
August 5th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Canon Powershot S330 Elph (2.0 mp) for just funin' and convenience. Love that little camera! Olympus C2500L (2.? mp) A very good, compact TTL camera, particularly for macro work. See my articles here, such as my XL1s lens review (http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article82.php), for samples. Canon EOS 10D (6 mp). My new DSLR baby...a birthday present from my wonderful wife.

Imran Zaidi
August 5th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Wowzers, an EOS10D for your birthday? Ken, she's a keeper.

I mess around with a Canon S30 myself, and have recommended it highly to friends. Great point and shoot functionality, and respectable manual controls for a camera in its price range. Plus, my friends that are publishing art directors have used it to publish high quality full-page images in some of their quality pubs. It really looks pro-like at 3 MP.

By the way, Ken, can you use any Canon EOS compatible lens with the EOS10D? I have some film SLR lenses that I use with my 35mm film camera, which is a Canon, and I've been wondering if I'd need to invest in new glass.

Ken Tanaka
August 5th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Imran,
Yes, you can use any EF lens with the 10D. So you'd probably be able use your current lenses. Be aware, however, that the 10D's smaller frame size (than a 35mm frame) effectively imposes a 1.6x multiplier on your lenses' focal lengths. So their imaging on the 10D will tend to be a bit narrower.

Rik Sanchez
August 5th, 2003, 11:53 AM
I don't own a digital camera myself but I'm always borrowing a friend's Olympus E-10. I've had very good results with that camera.

Matt Betea
August 5th, 2003, 04:25 PM
I've had my D100 for about 4 months now. Really enjoy it. The 10D was just coming out at the time, the local shop had a demo of both and the S2. The D100 (with the mb-d100, oh I love that thing) just felt really nice in my hand and the layout I liked. Whether it's a DSLR, digital cam, video camera, etc. I say how it feels has got to be one of the most important things in deciding on equipment. For me it's the main thing.

matt

Dylan Couper
August 5th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Canon S100 digital Elph.
It takes better pictures than my EOS Elan 7.
Why?
Because it's always with me to take pictures.

Got to love the convenience of something that small. It's getting a little old now, and I'd like something that did movies as well, so I might start looking for it's replacement.... After I get a digital SLR.

Jeff Donald
August 5th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Well, cameras come and go in my family. I'm always trying something new. Currently we have a Canon 10D, G1, ELPH S300 and some Kodak digicam that plays MP3's (for my son); film cameras include a Canon EOS 3, Elan 7e, two ELPH's (APS), and my son has a Nikon EM.

In the past I've had many 35's, medium format and large format cameras. My favorite was the Leica M3 double stroke with a collapsible Sumicron lens.

Jeff Farris
August 5th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Olympus E-20 and Olympus C-5050Z. I started with an Oly C-2000Z, the housing flooded, the C-2000Z was discontinued so the insurance company bought me a 3030. About 18 months later, the housing flooded again. I paid the difference to trade up to the 4040. This time I upgraded the housing, too. I loved that camera, but got caught up in the bloodlust of ever bigger and more expensive toys. The E-20 is a superb camera, but requires a commitment to shooting, where the smaller Oly's are more natural. I added the 5050 to the arsenal for more casual shooting.

Ken Tanaka
August 5th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Jeff,
By "housing", and your signature, I'm guessing that you mean the underwater housings? If so, your insurer replaced the cameras due to a product malfunction? Wow. Maybe we should all take up underwater photography when it's time to upgrade! "Hey, look, these Zip Lock bags were supposed to be waterproof. See, it says so right here on the box. Pay up!"

Jeff Farris
August 6th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Not quite that simple.

Flood insurance is expensive. It costs me about 800 per year to insure 10,000 worth of video and still equipment and 3,000 worth of dive gear. More than a couple of claims in a couple of years will get you rated so that it is even more expensive. That and a 10% deductible are supposed to keep people from using an "accidental" flood as an upgrade ladder.

The good thing is, flood insurance covers stupidity. Both of my floods were caused by a combination of a slightly less than wonderful seal design and my inattention to keeping that seal in place as I closed the housing.

Nigel Moore
August 6th, 2003, 09:47 AM
I have a Canon D30, and it takes great photos. I'd love a 1:1 FLM but can't justify $8k!

Gints Klimanis
August 6th, 2003, 02:06 PM
I have the Canon S40. I don't think it's as good as the reviews praise. The same would apply for the S45 and S50. All functions are tucked into the menu and are navigable with an unwieldy four direction + pressure button. It's really
quite difficult to anyone to use, let alone adjust for exposure with it. The manual focus is hard to adjust and nearly useless.
The autofocus doesn't seem to work indoors (moderate light).

Even in fully manual mode, there is a huge delay between the
time you press the button and when the camera takes the picture. This delay time seems to increase severely as the
battery level drops. The CCD scanning algorithm produces ghost images on fast motion, such as swinging sticks. There is a "Sports mode" but it's not fast enough to reduce motion blur.

I like the movie modes, but I wish there were more in this department. The internal microphone and audio circuit really
suck. Every movie is started and ended with a sharp pop.
Why doesn't Zoom work in the movie mode? Now, you may ask, why use a camera movie mode? Because, it's the most portable video recorder out there. Subjects that freeze on videotape or reject it alltogether seem to accept the camera in movie mode.

I suppose my review is on the negative side. On the other hand,
I paid about $450 for the camera and $170 for a 512 MB flash card over one year ago.

Aaron Rosen
August 6th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Canon S330 Digital Elph
Nikon Cool Pix - OLDER ONE

Michael Westphal
August 6th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Canon GL2 (yes, it's an acceptable digicam)
Canon A10
HP 912 (w/ Pentax optics. Nice but slow 2Mpixel SLR, non-changeable lens)

I've seen alot of nice new "real" digital SLR's but I'm holding out for a Pentax *istD.
Why?
Film cameras: Pentax ZX5 and ZXL and 25 years of lenses, 28mm to 1000mm.

Michael Wisniewski
August 7th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Gints,

Your criticisms of the S40 are common to many digital cameras. I had similar problems when I first got my Canon G2. After about a month and some research I was able to learn to how to get the photos I wanted.

Check out this post, it's a list of tips I compiled a long time ago - many people still find it useful. (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=2285773)

Jeff Donald
August 7th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Thanks Michael, there's some very good tips there

Gints Klimanis
August 7th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Excellent list. Thanks !

Steven Digges
August 9th, 2003, 07:51 PM
Just sold my 2 D30s this week to pick up a 10D - very impressed with the upgrage so far.

Also use a G1 for point and shoot.

Steve

Rik Sanchez
October 9th, 2003, 09:05 AM
I was searching for a used digital camera and I found a used Olympus E-10 for US$450. I bought it today and I have the English manual on order.

I now have my own camera and I can stop borrowing my friend's E-10. I couldn't find a new smaller camera that had a PC outlet, so happy I got the E-10. It's not as many pixels as the other cameras mentioned but for right now, it will do. Can't wait to hook up my old Vivitar 285 flash and experiment.

John Garcia
October 9th, 2003, 03:02 PM
I have the Canon EOS 300D a.k.a. Digital Rebel.

Scott Osborne
October 10th, 2003, 07:23 PM
I currently have a Canon Powershot A40 (mainly for my wife) and a Canon G3....I am getting ready to buy a Canon 10D. I was just at the shop yesterday with $1100 in hand to buy a Digital rebel....However beside the Rebel in the case was a 10D and a 1D, after taking both the 10D and the Rebel outside to play with I firmly decide that the 10D is for me. Now I just need to save up another $1800 for glass , flashes, and a battery grip.

For Film I have 2 Canon AE-1Ps and 2 Canon T120s...I have a large assortment of FD mount glass.....BTW once I get my 10D I would be willing to sell most of the FD bodys and glass if anyone is interested.

Bogdan Vaglarov
December 3rd, 2003, 10:31 AM
I've owned Fuji Fine Pix 1700Z and I was very happy with the cam for the 3 years I used it. Fast and resposive - no need to wait for focus - just press the shutter and it'll snap in a second. Drawback - low 1.5MP and noisy. Perfect for web/e-mail and ocasional printing in small size.

In the beginning of this year replaced by Canon S45. You can't do what I mentioned above so it comfirmes Gints words - if you press the shutter to the bottom nothing will happen. You have to prefocus each time and it means it takes time.

It makes beautiful shots though - vivid and very true colors, lack of any noise. Way ahead of even good point and shoot as Olympus myu.

If you want you can read my opinion on S45 here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinion_text.asp?prodkey=canon_s45&opinion=15165

Andre Andreev
December 3rd, 2003, 11:42 AM
I love this camera with its bright lens (f2.0-2.8) and x5 optical zoom. Its battery goes strong for over 3 hours of continuous shooting (I rarely use flash) and its body design allows to compose from waist level (love it!) or from above my head without losing my grip on the controls.

Great for portraits (shallow dof when you need it), adequate white balance.

Again, an equivalent lens for one of the Canon D-slr's would cost more than twice the price of this camera. It's metal body feels solid and is durable. Not one failure in almost 2 years and over 5000 photos.

Has one of the lowest noise levels for a consumer camera (better than canon G5).

I would buy it again. As a matter of fact, I am planning to buy the new f828 when it becomes available and will be selling mine soon.

Check out the review at dpreview.com
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/sony_dscf717.asp

Regards
-- Andre

Helen Bach
December 4th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Nikon 995, Leica Digilux 1, Contax Tvs digital.

I like the Digilux very much, but it has one big drawback: there is no scale focussing.

The Contax is good when there is plenty of light. Though it lacks full manual control, it has a lot of very nice features. This is the camera I always carry in my handbag (purse in American).

Best,
Helen

Richard Longman
December 5th, 2003, 12:46 AM
I don't own a camera at the moment. Would it be better to go with a digital? Is it possible to get a photo lab to develop 4 X 6 prints? Is the quality similar with film prints? Which camera models are good for everyday home shooting?

Ken Tanaka
December 5th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Richard,
As you can see from this thread there are many, many choices in digital cameras today. Yes, they are an excellent choice for convenience and economy. You can print your own prints with very good results on many models of ink jet printers using photo printing papers. Canon has a nifty little 4x6 photo printer (the CP-300) that does an outstanding job!

One of best places to start reviewing the vast array of digital photo camera is Phil Askey's www.dpreview.com.

For "everyday home shooting" my vote goes to one of the compact Canon Powershot models or one of the Nikon Coolpix models. Very good photos, reasonably good range of control, easy to carry.

Zac Stein
December 5th, 2003, 02:20 AM
1 point of order, if you are still going to go to a lab to get photos printed, then i would stick with a film camera, the 35mm neg can not be beat just yet.

But everything else about digital which is said here is true, unless you are a useless arty fart like me.

Zac

Jeff Donald
December 5th, 2003, 06:08 AM
You can get your digital files printed at most of the better labs now. Sam's and Costco charge only $.19 USD for a 4x6. They are done on the same machines (Fuji Frontiers or equivalent) as prints from negs.

Quality wise the difference between film and digital images is a moot point. National Geographic just did it's first all digital image article. Sports Illustrated has been all digital for a while. Digital camera sales exceeds film camera sales. I see no reason to delay a purchase.

Dan Brown
December 5th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Nikon D100, with 24-85 zoom, 35/f2, 70-210 zoom and SB-80DX strobe. It has really become a useful tool in writing my first film peice. I've been shooting a lot of angles and flow shots with it, and using it to delete/edit/refine images for my film. Plug it into the 36 inch TV set and run the frames. Kinda-nice! The ultimate Polaroid.

Matt Betea
December 5th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Zac, I do agree with you, to a point. Yes I think a 35mm neg printed traditionally or high quality scan is better than the digicams out now.

But in the real world application rules, not so much the absolute best quality. Seeing the areas where digital is big, it is quite capable of meeting the demands. And the convenience of digital is also a huge plus for people working under extremely tight deadlines, etc.

I'm interested in seeing a review of the Digilux2. Looks like a very nice little cam for street shooting. But then again with the Leica name on it, it'll probably go for more than half the DSLR out now.

Helen Bach
December 5th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Matrix metering is for girls

Meaning what?

Best,
Helen

Matt Betea
December 5th, 2003, 08:12 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Helen Bach :
Meaning what?

Best,
Helen -->>>
Just a little light hearted jab to all the matrix metering folks 8)

David James
December 6th, 2003, 05:09 PM
I have been using the Olympus CZ2100 UZ since it came out. It is only a 2.1 MP but has Image stabelizer and 10X optical zoom. I have been really happy with it just wish it was 4-5 MP.

Richard, I have seen several 3.2MP point and shooters out there that fall within your price range. Some even had 3X optical zoom. Try your local WalMart or www.walmart.com they had some cameras in your range.

Happy Holidays all

Glen Elliott
December 11th, 2003, 12:54 PM
I'm currently using a Sony F717 as well. Just upgraded from the F707. Now I'm already looking to upgrade to the Canon 300D.

I'm actually selling my F717 now to help fund the upgrade...
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18230

Alicia R DeLoatch
December 15th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Hi, I use Olympus d560 but will upgrade to the olympus 5060 or the Canon G5.

Alicia

Mike Butler
December 16th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Main camera: Canon 10D.
Plus a Canon Elph Powershot S400 which never leaves my side.
Also have an Olympus C2500 which I never use.

Wife carries a Canon Elph Powershot S230, her second one. (first one got stolen)

Daughter just got a Canon Powershot SD100 for her birthday(basically the same as the S230 except it uses an SD card instead of CF) and has an Olympus D510 which she gave to her boyfriend upon the arrival of the Canon.

Hey, I like matrix metering. And girls. :-)

Kevin Maistros
December 20th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Canon EOS-1Ds
Canon Digital Rebel

Ozzie Alfonso
January 4th, 2004, 01:05 AM
I originally had a Coolpix 900. It fell off a table and I found myself holding two cameras - one with the LCD, the other with the lens. Believe it or not I was still able to snap a few pictures although terminally out of focus. I upgraded to the then new 950 - a great traveling camera and a lot more rugged than the 900. The only big problem with the 950 is how fast it eats batteries. The cost of batteries balances the cost of film.

I just bought a Nikon D100. It could have been a Canon but since I've had an F2 and an FM for centuries along with an array of excellent Nikkor lenses - which I can still use with the D100 - I stayed with Nikon. I did buy a new 24-140 VR zoom. It's my first still camera zoom. I used to be a purist - only primes. I've found the lens' automatic movement dampener to be excellent. I can shoot handheld at 1/10th or 1/5th with no visible shake. The camera also has a built-in mirror flap dampener. I can get an acceptable handheld 1 second exposure!

The D100 is still new and I’m still learning my way around it.

My favorite camera? The one I will never sell, not even for the few thousand dollars I’ve been offered for the camera and lenses? – my trusty 1962 Leica M3 – with a 50mm, a 35mm, a 21mm, and a 180mm Leitz lenses.

My wish list for digital SLRs? – increase the chip size as to make the 35mm lenses correspond. The lack of true wide angle lenses is a big drawback. But I’m sure that is already coming down the pike.

Ken Tanaka
January 4th, 2004, 01:16 AM
Ozzie,
Out of curiosity, what is the widest prime lens you are using with your new D100? What marked differences have you noticed (in addition to the narrower field) between its use on your D100 and your original film SLR's?

Ozzie Alfonso
January 4th, 2004, 01:56 AM
That would be a 24mm prime as well as the 24-140 zoom. The main difference is, as you know, the 24mm ends up being the equivalent of a 28mm in the D100 and most other DSLRs with the same chip size. The other difference is my prime 24mm is an f2.8, the zoom is an f3.5. Of course the prime is not automatic in any way. The zoom is a G lends - meaning it has no internal aperture control. That is accomplished electronically in the camera body.

I haven't made a side by side comparison, but I think the 24 prime is sharper than the 24-140. I've perceived a certain lack of crispness in the 24 zoom.

There is a lot to get used to.

Mike Butler
January 4th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Much in the same way that Ozzie would have considered a Canon were it not for his inventory of Nikon lenses, I would have thought about the Nikon but for my existing stock of Canon pieces.

Man, if those batteries were getting that expensive, a rapid charger and some NiMH or LiIon batts would have been in order. We use them on my wife's Garmin GPS and on our FRS radios. The cameras already came with rechargeable (proprietary) batteries and chargers.

I too would like to see the chip expanded to 35mm frame size (not that 6.3MP is keeping me from doing my job now). Shall we start a pool to guess (bet) on the intro date? I'm thinking September 2005. :-)

Jeff Donald
January 4th, 2004, 12:07 PM
The Canon 1Ds already has a full 35mm size CMOS chip. Or do you have a specific price point in mind?

Ozzie Alfonso
January 4th, 2004, 12:58 PM
The CoolPix 950 takes 4 AA batteries. I have some rechargeable AA but that didn't solve the problem. I would have to re-charge after 36 to 40 shots or carry a few pounds worth of AAs.

I think the battery drain in the 950 is a design flaw. The batteries would exhaust very quickly if I were to take, say, 20 shots in 10 minutes. The life would be longer if the shooting slowed down. Heat build up in the camera is quite pronounced when shooting a sequence.

On the other hand, the D100 has a rechargeable LiIon battery that never seems to die. You can even leave the camera on for days without any visible drain.

Jeff Donald
January 4th, 2004, 03:03 PM
The early production runs of Coolpix 950's did have a problem with battery consumption. This was corrected during the production run. I don't remember if it was a firmware upgrade or if the camera had to be sent back to Nikon for the fix. You might want to email Nikon service about your battery consumption issues.

Mike Butler
January 4th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Jeff, can you envision a day when a camera with specs similar to those of the 1Ds can be available for <$2K? That's OK, I had a hard time imagining a camera like the 10D for $1500! :-) (but I'm used to it now)

Ozzie, whoof! That's pretty severe battery consumption! I guess I'm just glad I didn't buy a Coolpix 950 (plus I never would have bought one of the "swivel" model Coolpixes--too wierd!)

The D100 sounds like the right item...I also have no battery longevity problems with the 10D...These cameras are soooo similar! Actually, Cigar Aficionado (don't laugh!) did a comparo of digicams and found the D100 slightly ahead of the 10D on ergonomic factors. I think it is true that if you stick to the brand platform you are with based on your existing fleet of brand-specific lenses and accessories you'll be happy. Actually, Cigar nailed two of the hot digicam categories and why they are hot...and why I now am using both. The digital SLR like the Nikon D100 or Canon EOS 10D--because they are the photographer's camera (for a digital)-- and the subcompacts like the Powershot S400 and the rest of the Canon Elphs--because they will never leave your side and you'll always be ready to take a picture no matter where you are.

Ozzie Alfonso
January 4th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Jeff, thanks for the info on the 950 problem. Since it was always a point and shoot toy, I never thought of checking into the excessive battery drain.

Mike, actually the odd swivel design of the 900 series does have a few advantages - it allows placing the camera in odd positions and still see the framing. You can even shoot around corners. Why anyone would want to do that, I don't know, but you can.