Which digital camera do you have? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old August 5th, 2003, 12:03 AM   #1
Wrangler

Which digital camera do you have?

Which digital camera do you have? - Canon G2
Old August 5th, 2003, 07:08 AM   #2
Trustee

At the moment the only digital camera I have is a Canon S45. Its a good little 4.0MP unit with full manual control but is limited by the lens. I'm sticking with my EOS 1nRS and EOS 5 until Canon comes out with a full frame 8MP+ SLR camera capable of at least 8fps like the 1D. A 1DRS with a pellicle mirror and 6 millisecond shutter release would be a dream
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 07:14 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Currently I'm using a Canon PowerShot S230 Elph for snapshots. Planning to "graduate" soon to the S400, a 4-megapixel Elph. These are excellent travelling cameras, but nothing serious.

Would love to have a 10D but the plus-glass investment of $3K or so leaves it out of reach for now. The wife has an older Rebel X, with two Sigma lenses, a 28-80 and a 70-300.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 09:33 AM   #4
Wrangler

Currently using a Nikon CoolPix 5700 which I just got. My first digital camera was a CoolPix 900 back in 1999, then I upgraded to a CoolPix 990 a couple years later. Have also bought a couple of their smaller cameras for family members. I considered going the DSLR route this time, but all my Nikkor lenses are the old type without autofocus so this would have been expensive. Aside from that, I prefer the smaller, lighter, self-contained style of camera.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

• Canon Powershot S330 Elph (2.0 mp) for just funin' and convenience. Love that little camera!
  • Olympus C2500L (2.? mp) A very good, compact TTL camera, particularly for macro work. See my articles here, such as my XL1s lens review, for samples.
  • Canon EOS 10D (6 mp). My new DSLR baby...a birthday present from my wonderful wife.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 11:35 AM   #6
Trustee

Wowzers, an EOS10D for your birthday? Ken, she's a keeper.

I mess around with a Canon S30 myself, and have recommended it highly to friends. Great point and shoot functionality, and respectable manual controls for a camera in its price range. Plus, my friends that are publishing art directors have used it to publish high quality full-page images in some of their quality pubs. It really looks pro-like at 3 MP.

By the way, Ken, can you use any Canon EOS compatible lens with the EOS10D? I have some film SLR lenses that I use with my 35mm film camera, which is a Canon, and I've been wondering if I'd need to invest in new glass.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 11:46 AM   #7

Imran,
Yes, you can use any EF lens with the 10D. So you'd probably be able use your current lenses. Be aware, however, that the 10D's smaller frame size (than a 35mm frame) effectively imposes a 1.6x multiplier on your lenses' focal lengths. So their imaging on the 10D will tend to be a bit narrower.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old August 5th, 2003, 11:53 AM   #8
ChorizoSmells

I don't own a digital camera myself but I'm always borrowing a friend's Olympus E-10. I've had very good results with that camera.
Old August 5th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I've had my D100 for about 4 months now. Really enjoy it. The 10D was just coming out at the time, the local shop had a demo of both and the S2. The D100 (with the mb-d100, oh I love that thing) just felt really nice in my hand and the layout I liked. Whether it's a DSLR, digital cam, video camera, etc. I say how it feels has got to be one of the most important things in deciding on equipment. For me it's the main thing.

matt
Matt Betea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #10
Wrangler

Canon S100 digital Elph.
It takes better pictures than my EOS Elan 7.
Why?
Because it's always with me to take pictures.

Got to love the convenience of something that small. It's getting a little old now, and I'd like something that did movies as well, so I might start looking for it's replacement.... After I get a digital SLR.
Old August 5th, 2003, 08:00 PM   #11
Warden

Well, cameras come and go in my family. I'm always trying something new. Currently we have a Canon 10D, G1, ELPH S300 and some Kodak digicam that plays MP3's (for my son); film cameras include a Canon EOS 3, Elan 7e, two ELPH's (APS), and my son has a Nikon EM.

In the past I've had many 35's, medium format and large format cameras. My favorite was the Leica M3 double stroke with a collapsible Sumicron lens.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 10:08 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Olympus E-20 and Olympus C-5050Z. I started with an Oly C-2000Z, the housing flooded, the C-2000Z was discontinued so the insurance company bought me a 3030. About 18 months later, the housing flooded again. I paid the difference to trade up to the 4040. This time I upgraded the housing, too. I loved that camera, but got caught up in the bloodlust of ever bigger and more expensive toys. The E-20 is a superb camera, but requires a commitment to shooting, where the smaller Oly's are more natural. I added the 5050 to the arsenal for more casual shooting.
Old August 5th, 2003, 10:26 PM   #13

Jeff,
By "housing", and your signature, I'm guessing that you mean the underwater housings? If so, your insurer replaced the cameras due to a product malfunction? Wow. Maybe we should all take up underwater photography when it's time to upgrade! "Hey, look, these Zip Lock bags were supposed to be waterproof. See, it says so right here on the box. Pay up!"

Old August 6th, 2003, 07:43 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Not quite that simple.

Flood insurance is expensive. It costs me about 800 per year to insure 10,000 worth of video and still equipment and 3,000 worth of dive gear. More than a couple of claims in a couple of years will get you rated so that it is even more expensive. That and a 10% deductible are supposed to keep people from using an "accidental" flood as an upgrade ladder.

The good thing is, flood insurance covers stupidity. Both of my floods were caused by a combination of a slightly less than wonderful seal design and my inattention to keeping that seal in place as I closed the housing.
Old August 6th, 2003, 09:47 AM   #15
Major Player

I have a Canon D30, and it takes great photos. I'd love a 1:1 FLM but can't justify $8k!
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy