Which digital camera do you have? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old January 4th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #46
Warden

The Canon 1Ds already has a full 35mm size CMOS chip. Or do you have a specific price point in mind?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 12:58 PM   #47
Major Player

The CoolPix 950 takes 4 AA batteries. I have some rechargeable AA but that didn't solve the problem. I would have to re-charge after 36 to 40 shots or carry a few pounds worth of AAs.

I think the battery drain in the 950 is a design flaw. The batteries would exhaust very quickly if I were to take, say, 20 shots in 10 minutes. The life would be longer if the shooting slowed down. Heat build up in the camera is quite pronounced when shooting a sequence.

On the other hand, the D100 has a rechargeable LiIon battery that never seems to die. You can even leave the camera on for days without any visible drain.
Old January 4th, 2004, 03:03 PM   #48
Warden

The early production runs of Coolpix 950's did have a problem with battery consumption. This was corrected during the production run. I don't remember if it was a firmware upgrade or if the camera had to be sent back to Nikon for the fix. You might want to email Nikon service about your battery consumption issues.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 08:48 PM   #49
Machinist Mate

Jeff, can you envision a day when a camera with specs similar to those of the 1Ds can be available for <$2K? That's OK, I had a hard time imagining a camera like the 10D for $1500! :-) (but I'm used to it now)

Ozzie, whoof! That's pretty severe battery consumption! I guess I'm just glad I didn't buy a Coolpix 950 (plus I never would have bought one of the "swivel" model Coolpixes--too wierd!)

The D100 sounds like the right item...I also have no battery longevity problems with the 10D...These cameras are soooo similar! Actually, Cigar Aficionado (don't laugh!) did a comparo of digicams and found the D100 slightly ahead of the 10D on ergonomic factors. I think it is true that if you stick to the brand platform you are with based on your existing fleet of brand-specific lenses and accessories you'll be happy. Actually, Cigar nailed two of the hot digicam categories and why they are hot...and why I now am using both. The digital SLR like the Nikon D100 or Canon EOS 10D--because they are the photographer's camera (for a digital)-- and the subcompacts like the Powershot S400 and the rest of the Canon Elphs--because they will never leave your side and you'll always be ready to take a picture no matter where you are.
Old January 4th, 2004, 11:50 PM   #50
Major Player

Jeff, thanks for the info on the 950 problem. Since it was always a point and shoot toy, I never thought of checking into the excessive battery drain.

Mike, actually the odd swivel design of the 900 series does have a few advantages - it allows placing the camera in odd positions and still see the framing. You can even shoot around corners. Why anyone would want to do that, I don't know, but you can.
Old January 5th, 2004, 01:50 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Well, since I (erroneously) thought this forum to be about weird things (still crazy), I've avoided it 'til now. But I'm glad to find it.
Been through a Minolta s414, Oly c5050, and am considering a Panny fz1. Hesitation on the 2 meg thing; but won't spend up for a fz10. I'd rather put that much toward a 300D.
That 12x OIS REALLY has me intrigued, and it's size would allow me to carry it constantly. Just draggin' my feet on this one.....
Douglas Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 02:33 PM   #52
Regular Crew

I have a 3-4 year old (? - it's been a while) Olympus E-10. It's been a wonderful camera. I've dragged it over hills and through muskeg including a couple of near immersions (not recommended). It's behaved wonderfully. I'd upgrade to the E-20 but it's only a 1 megapixel change (along with a couple of neat features) so it's not quite "worth it" yet. If they keep the same system and go to an 8mp unit, I would buy it in a flash.

It's a complicated camera - lots of buttons and dials - but everything is in a place that makes sense for my fingers. The auto programs are pretty good and it has excellent manual controls.

The one "feature" that I orginally wished it had - changeable lenses - is, IMHO, less then completely desireable. It's really hard to dirty up the sensor if you can't take the lens off. You can buy a good telephone (albiet a bit heavy) and a wide angle that slip over the main lens.

Never had to send it to the factory, so i don't know how responsive they are.

The ability to use 4AA batteries, as opposed to a proprietary shape/size is another great feature. With the newer 2200 mAh Lithium-Ion batteries I can go pretty much all day without popping a new set in.

I've also recently started to shoot in the Olympus RAW format and let Photoshop do all of the heavy hauling in terms of image manipulation. I get significantly better results and much more flexibility that way.

Of course, your milage may vary...
Roger Golub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 05:12 PM   #53
Wrangler

I forgot to add my new digital camera to this thread.

Minolta A2
(as well as a Canon S100 Digital Elph)

I bought a Minolta A2 a few weeks ago. I decided on it over a Digital Rebel since it has a built in 28-200mm lens with an image stabilizer. It works great, superb ergonomics (imho), with manual buttons and dials for almost everything. And if you put a 28-135mm IS lens on the Rebel, the A2 is about half the size, and still has a more useful lens.

If I wanted to carry a camera bag with several lenses around with me, it would have been a close call, but I'd rather travel lighter, and always have the camera with me.
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #54
Machinist Mate

Well, bottom line is, when I am on vacation, traveling light is key, so I bring my S400 (subcompact Powershot) and leave the D10 (SLR) back at the office. Hey, I need a break, y'know! The 400 stays on my belt whether horseback riding, wine-tasting (up the Mendocino Coast) or hiking in the woods. So if I really feel motivated to shoot, there it is. Obviously I wouldn't make that my primary camera on a red-carpet shoot.
Old June 30th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #55
Major Player

Canon Powershot G3 here

Here are some pics I have taken with it

http://www.pbase.com/toogy
Old July 12th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #56
Trustee

I have 3 digital cameras that I shoot with regularly

1) Canon s400- the perfect cam for sneaking into a Prince concert (although as my friend found out, they'll still take you in back and give you a good talking-to if they catch you...black out that LCD!!)

2) Canon EOS 10d -- using this thing in raw mode makes it very close to the perfect digital camera.

3) Imacon Ixpress 132C (22mp) on a Hasselbad H1. (don't hate me, its what I do for a living.) Despite what you may have heard, there is nothing quite like a 22mp back. I recently produced a show of black and white portraits (24x30 and 36x44) that left many of my photog friends shaking their heads. The detail is in the range of 4x5 (maybe better), the tonal range is beyond what you can imagine. It's really a studio camera, but I find shooting with it on location to be a real joy.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 02:38 PM   #57
Machinist Mate

Barry, I use the same cameras as you ...except for the Imacon.
:-)

I guess I should pick one up the next time I have a loose $33K (not including the Hassie) to spend on a camera...it sounds like a sweet rig. Actually, the fact that you even mention the other two in the same e-mail as the Ixpress is quite an amazing testament to Canon products.
Old July 12th, 2004, 02:42 PM   #58
Regular Crew

ive probably posted here before, but i have a 10D. :)
Old July 12th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #59
Trustee

Mike

You know since photoshop cs came out, and I started using raw files off the 10D, I've become so much more confident about using it commercially. And it's really great having the higher iso's, and lens selections. The imacon is really an ISO 50 camera...not much use beyond studio, locked down, and full daylight situations---so it's nice to have both. By the way, I think you can still get the Imacon 132C - hasselblad H1 kit for about $27K....not that it makes the price any less absurd.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 07:41 PM   #60
Machinist Mate

Barry,

That sounds good. I have been using my 10D for everything from event candids (can you say paparazzi, boys and girls?) to product photography for display advertising, Point-of-Sale material and catalogue publication, and have been getting away with JPEG files (of course re-saved as CMYK EPS files before doing any retouching). I just leave it set at ISO 200 and let it rip, using whatever lights and lens fits the occasion, just as I used to do with the film-based EOS. I'd be afraid to use the 10D for high-end formal portraiture or fashion work, but I don't do that anyway. It has more than paid for itself and has changed the whole way I work. I guess I'd call it the greatest bargain in the business right now.

Oh yes, and I usually carry the Powershot S400 on my belt just in case something funky happens with the 10D (batteries go south or it gets whacked by a drunk rock star) in the middle of a red-carpet walkthrough. And I just always have the s400 on hand with me wherever I go, so I'm never without a camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy