View Full Version : NTG-2 on the XH-A1 mic holder...will I regret not using a shock mount?

Arif Syed
September 19th, 2008, 11:53 PM
or is the difference negligible? Basically, I want to keep the hot shoe for lighting.

Chris Light
September 20th, 2008, 12:17 AM
well, handling noise may be an issue with the NTG-2, due to the battery compartment, and the added length/weight it displays as compared to the NTG-1. I favor the NTG-1 for that very reason. but you'll probably be fine anyhow, the NTG-2 has fared well for many users who like the battery option.

-chris

Colin McDonald
September 20th, 2008, 02:54 AM
NTG-2 on the XH-A1 mic holder...will I regret not using a shock mount? or is the difference negligible? Basically, I want to keep the hot shoe for lighting.

Short answer, yes.

There are shockmounts which fit in the mic holder like the Rode SM-5
Rode | SM5 - Shotgun Microphone Suspension | SM5 | B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/463089-REG/Rode_SM5_SM5_Shotgun_Microphone.html)

or the J-rod
thej-rod.com (http://www.thej-rod.com/)

I used a Rode shotgun without the shockmount once - the zoom servo and assorted control switches could be heard operating clearly on the audio track.

Garrett Low
September 20th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I don't know for sure about the Rode but with my Senn ME66 without a shock mount it picks up the motor and every littel adjustment. If hand held it picked up my slight adjustments of my hand.

I made a DIY based on teh Rode SM5 with some 1/2" PVC, 2" PVC and plumbing O rings. Works great and cost me about $2 since I already had the pipes and all I had to buy were the O rings.

Tripp Woelfel
September 20th, 2008, 10:32 AM
The main thing that stopped me from using the on-board mic mount was when I put on the dead cat I could see the fur when zoomed out. This was not a problem with just the foam. I have the NTG-1 and I don't know if the form factor is the same, but I think it is.

I also picked up some noise from the zoom motor.

As a recommendation, I would not purchase the Rode hot shoe holder. It's very flimsy and mine broke in about 6 months.

Colin McDonald
September 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM
As a recommendation, I would not purchase the Rode hot shoe holder. It's very flimsy and mine broke in about 6 months.

Tripp, so did my Rode SM3 but it was replaced under warranty. Did you try this?

I think one has to be careful not to overtighten the locking screw when using it, though my SM3 passed away in its sleep while in the case between shoots.

Tripp Woelfel
September 20th, 2008, 12:33 PM
No, I didn't. After it broke, I took it apart and the loops of the main body just looked too thin. In my eyes that's a design flaw. Until Rode redesign it I'd have the same problem with a new one. I just bought a different one made out of metal.

It's interesting that I didn't over tighten it, leaving it just tight enough to keep the mic from flopping down. It came apart when I loosened the nut. Odd.

Colin McDonald
September 20th, 2008, 12:46 PM
No, I didn't. After it broke, I took it apart and the loops of the main body just looked too thin. In my eyes that's a design flaw. Until Rode redesign it I'd have the same problem with a new one. I just bought a different one made out of metal.

It's interesting that I didn't over tighten it, leaving it just tight enough to keep the mic from flopping down. It came apart when I loosened the nut. Odd.

That sounds familiar - I was careful not to overtighten and it was fine when put away. I noticed the plastic had collapsed round the nut when I took it out a couple of days later.

I don't think it would do any harm to tell them - their product line is usually pretty good. If there's a whole bunch of them failing they'll want to know why. It could be a materials issue as well I suppose. Anyway, I'll see how long the replacement lasts.

J.J. Kim
September 20th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I am glad that I checked this thread.
I have series 7 on-camera light with battery on the top so my shoe was occupied and my NTG2 was driving me crazy with motor sound and sensitivity AND I had no place to put my wireless mic receiver.
I just purchased J-Rod now and can't wait till put my shotgun and wireless reciever on it.
THank you, guys!

JJ

Shahryar Rizvi
September 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
My Canon XH-A1 arrived a few days ago and my AT-822 just arrived tonight. I was planning on using my mic with my camera sometimes with a 3/8" adaptor, but I couldn't find one. I should probably look into a better solution though looking through this thread.

Terwingen Niels
September 28th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Hi,

does anybody know if the NTG2 with the Rode SM5(+deadcat) comes into the frame when used on an XH A1 with/without wideangle lens?

gtrz

Lou Bruno
September 28th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I have the same set-up. I do not have a problem. The SM5 can be set back as well if need be which would bring the NTG2 in closer to the camera operator.

Hi,

does anybody know if the NTG2 with the Rode SM5(+deadcat) comes into the frame when used on an XH A1 with/without wideangle lens?

gtrz

Denys Pyevtsov
September 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Hi,

gtrz

No problems here...

Terwingen Niels
October 4th, 2008, 02:16 AM
thanks for the info guys. this one goes into my shoppingcart...

grtz
niels

Colin McDonald
October 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM

Hmmm. Mine has just gone again - it was replaced in July. What kind of Shockmount did you buy, Tripp?

Samuel Ko
October 8th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I use the Rode NTG-1 and the Rode Dead Cat and i place the mic in the mic holder of the A1 but the fur did show up on the LCD so i gave the cat a little haircut on the bottom piece until it didn't show up on the LCD(zoomed out of course)

Colin McDonald
October 10th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Hmmm. Mine has just gone again - it was replaced in July. What kind of Shockmount did you buy, Tripp?

...And an instant offer of free replacement from the Rode UK reps. That's what I call service.

I think the SM3 could do with a washer between the tilt locking screw and the plate which it tightens against. Then if the tilt angle gets changed without loosening the screw, the plate doesn't get forced to turn and break the circular plastic enclosure.

UPDATE: Replacement arrived this morning.

Colin McDonald
February 24th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Here we go again. RIP number 3 SM3 - it just Rode off into the sunset.

It saw a lot of use, sometimes on a camera sometimes on a mic stand or boom but I was really very careful with it. Same fault at exactly the same place - round the tilt locking plate. It passed away in its sleep, overnight on a mic stand without the mic fitted.

However, I will take it up with the Rode UK rep and I am confident that they will sort it out. Don't be put off Rode mics, but be very gentle with the shockmounts.

Allan Black
February 25th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Hi everyone .. RODE HQ are looking into this now.

Cheers.

Colin McDonald
March 1st, 2010, 03:46 PM
Here we go again. RIP number 3 SM3 - it just Rode off into the sunset.

New bottom assembly on its way from Rode UK rep. I'm sure that Rode will sort out the design/manufacturing prob, but it's good to know that their support and service is first class meantime.

Bryce Comer
March 1st, 2010, 11:47 PM
Hi Arif,
I would suggest using the Rode SM5 shock mount. It is very sturdy being machined aluminium, & will fit into the mic holder with a bit of gaffer tape to take up the slack between the two. This shock mount i have found to be very good at rejecting noise from the camera. You can also mount it from the front or the back of the mic bracket to make sure you don't end up with your mic in shot if you are using it with a fluffy or the like. This way will also leave your hotshoe free for other accessories.
Regards,
Bryce