View Full Version : Vegas performance with overclocking

Jeff Harper
October 12th, 2008, 03:52 AM
I run a Q6600 at stock speed with Vista 64 bit. I'm considering upgrading to overclockable MB. Likely can OC to 3.4 or more with proper cooling. Has anyone else done this, and was the performance gain with Vegas noticeable/worthwhile?

Paul Cascio
October 12th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I run a Q6600 at stock speed with Vista 64 bit. I'm considering upgrading to overclockable MB. Likely can OC to 3.4 or more with proper cooling. Has anyone else done this, and was the performance gain with Vegas noticeable/worthwhile?

I have Q6600 with a Asus PK5Pro and a huge air cooler that I run at 3.4mhz. Works great, but I'[m not sure it matters much except during renders. It also helps with After Effects, but my Quadro FX1500 probably means more with AE.

One things that made a difference was switching to a screw-in holder for the heatsink. Dropped temps 2-3 degrees C from the crappy intel plastic one.

Jeff Harper
October 12th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the info Paul. I would've hoped for some improvement with preview as well. I'm going back and forth over this, can't make up my mind. Cost for me would be around $600, and I really don't need the extra speed, but I'm bored to death with my PC. Thanks again.

Paul Cascio
October 12th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Why so expensive, Jeff? You've got the CPU, so all you need is a new board ($150) and the heat sink and clamp ($60). You can easily overclock the Q6600 to 3K without the heatsink. Just check the core temps.

BTW, this was my first OC project. I'm real pleased and not worried about damagin anything. The system will crash long before damage occurs.

Jeff Harper
October 12th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Actually it's more than me being bored with my PC, though that is part of my motivation. The board I chose (Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6) $298, the case is $120, Power Supply $200 (1000Watt) One of my reasons for thinking about this is I want to run 6 internal HDs, which my present case and MOBO cannot handle. I've run out of e-sata ports, and I have drives and no place to put them.

Your Asus board is very nice, I really like it. Unfortunately it only handles 4 internals, and it doesn't have raid, which I want.

Bill Ravens
October 12th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Jeff..

Have you looked at SATA port multipliers?
Addonics Technologies - Making Data Storage Simple (http://www.addonics.com)

Paul Cascio
October 12th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Actually it's more than me being bored with my PC, though that is part of my motivation. The board I chose (Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6) $298, the case is $120, Power Supply $200 (1000Watt) One of my reasons for thinking about this is I want to run 6 internal HDs, which my present case and MOBO cannot handle. I've run out of e-sata ports, and I have drives and no place to put them.

Your Asus board is very nice, I really like it. Unfortunately it only handles 4 internals, and it doesn't have raid, which I want.

I bleieve I have 6 SATA and it does have RAID.

Jeff Harper
October 12th, 2008, 02:24 PM
The Addionics idea is a good one. I had forgot about them..thx

Jeff Harper
October 13th, 2008, 02:52 AM
After reviewing the Adddionics products, I recall that the e-sata Port Multiplier in those units is not compatible with 64 bit Vista. That is why I passed on that solution before. I think my adaptec e-sata controller is the only available anywhere with 64 bit vista drivers.

Christian de Godzinsky
October 13th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Hi,

Im running on an QX9650 that has a stock speed of 3,0GHz. It happily overclocks to 3,82GHz (with just air cooling) and my system runs the Newrendertest (in the Sony Vegas Forums) in 82 seconds. Still best of the pack on systems with ONLY 4 cores :)

Christian

Jeff Harper
October 13th, 2008, 10:50 AM
That's great Christian. That's why I'm considering OC'ing the Q6600, it should go up to around 3.6 or so safely. Glad to hear your overclocking works so well with Vegas that is encouraging.