Vegas performance with overclocking at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 12th, 2008, 03:52 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Vegas performance with overclocking

I run a Q6600 at stock speed with Vista 64 bit. I'm considering upgrading to overclockable MB. Likely can OC to 3.4 or more with proper cooling. Has anyone else done this, and was the performance gain with Vegas noticeable/worthwhile?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I run a Q6600 at stock speed with Vista 64 bit. I'm considering upgrading to overclockable MB. Likely can OC to 3.4 or more with proper cooling. Has anyone else done this, and was the performance gain with Vegas noticeable/worthwhile?
I have Q6600 with a Asus PK5Pro and a huge air cooler that I run at 3.4mhz. Works great, but I'[m not sure it matters much except during renders. It also helps with After Effects, but my Quadro FX1500 probably means more with AE.

One things that made a difference was switching to a screw-in holder for the heatsink. Dropped temps 2-3 degrees C from the crappy intel plastic one.
Old October 12th, 2008, 05:19 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks for the info Paul. I would've hoped for some improvement with preview as well. I'm going back and forth over this, can't make up my mind. Cost for me would be around $600, and I really don't need the extra speed, but I'm bored to death with my PC. Thanks again.
Old October 12th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #4
Trustee

Why so expensive, Jeff? You've got the CPU, so all you need is a new board ($150) and the heat sink and clamp ($60). You can easily overclock the Q6600 to 3K without the heatsink. Just check the core temps.

BTW, this was my first OC project. I'm real pleased and not worried about damagin anything. The system will crash long before damage occurs.
Old October 12th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Actually it's more than me being bored with my PC, though that is part of my motivation. The board I chose (Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6) $298, the case is $120, Power Supply $200 (1000Watt) One of my reasons for thinking about this is I want to run 6 internal HDs, which my present case and MOBO cannot handle. I've run out of e-sata ports, and I have drives and no place to put them.

Your Asus board is very nice, I really like it. Unfortunately it only handles 4 internals, and it doesn't have raid, which I want.
Old October 12th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #6

Jeff..

Have you looked at SATA port multipliers?
Addonics Technologies - Making Data Storage Simple
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Actually it's more than me being bored with my PC, though that is part of my motivation. The board I chose (Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6) $298, the case is $120, Power Supply $200 (1000Watt) One of my reasons for thinking about this is I want to run 6 internal HDs, which my present case and MOBO cannot handle. I've run out of e-sata ports, and I have drives and no place to put them.

Your Asus board is very nice, I really like it. Unfortunately it only handles 4 internals, and it doesn't have raid, which I want.
I bleieve I have 6 SATA and it does have RAID.
Old October 12th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The Addionics idea is a good one. I had forgot about them..thx
Old October 13th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #9
Inner Circle

After reviewing the Adddionics products, I recall that the e-sata Port Multiplier in those units is not compatible with 64 bit Vista. That is why I passed on that solution before. I think my adaptec e-sata controller is the only available anywhere with 64 bit vista drivers.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; October 13th, 2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old October 13th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi,

Im running on an QX9650 that has a stock speed of 3,0GHz. It happily overclocks to 3,82GHz (with just air cooling) and my system runs the Newrendertest (in the Sony Vegas Forums) in 82 seconds. Still best of the pack on systems with ONLY 4 cores :)

Christian
Old October 13th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #11
Inner Circle

That's great Christian. That's why I'm considering OC'ing the Q6600, it should go up to around 3.6 or so safely. Glad to hear your overclocking works so well with Vegas that is encouraging.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...