How do you do transparent video in Vegas ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 10th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #1
Major Player

How do you do transparent video in Vegas ?

I am trying to render an HDV video clip that was shot with a blue screen and using chroma keyer plug-in in Vegas 8, to a transparent video with out any backround in it, just the person in the video !!!
Can that be done in Vegas or do I have to use other software like Serious Magic Ultra 2 ?

Thanks in advance
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh View Post
I am trying to render an HDV video clip that was shot with a blue screen and using chroma keyer plug-in in Vegas 8, to a transparent video with out any backround in it, just the person in the video !!!
Can that be done in Vegas or do I have to use other software like Serious Magic Ultra 2 ?

Thanks in advance
Have a look at this thread, you'll find some links, and an incredibly brief description of chromakeying in vegas vs. Ultra. (I've done both).

Vegas has a good chromakey capability, arguably equal in quality to what Ultra can do. The substantial difference is that Ultra has all the key tricks built in. E.g., want spill supression? Just check the box and grab the slider in Ultra. In vegas, know the theory of spill suppression and design your own filter chain. Likewise other functions - as a dedicated keying environment, Ultra makes it easy.

But yes, Vegas will do your basic key just fine. Search is your friend on this forum, here's one and here's another tutorial from forum sponsor VASST.

PS. Serious Magic no longer owns Ultra 2 - they sold it to Adobe and it is currently only available as part of the CS3 production suite.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Seth
Thank you for all the info, I know how to do the chroma key on Vegas, But what I am looking for is a transparent final render video with out any back round just the person alone.
Here is a link to see what I am trying to do on a web site for a client: Daily Access ? Presented by Diet Coke
Old October 11th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It looks like that page is using flash to composite the moving video with the graphic background. This is probably a pretty good choice, as I can't think of another distribution codec that supports transparency, and Flash does this kind of layering/compositing very well. And that's what you're looking for, right? - a distribution codec and a way to composite on the web.

If you follow the MSN/Coke example, you'll need to:
*Develop the flash background content.
*Render the greenscreen footage out of Vegas in an intermediate codec that supports transparency. (or, render out in a non-transparency codec with a new and uniform green background made with generated media...)
*Assemble everything in the Flash application, using either transparent or green video BG.

There may be a delivery codec that supports transparency that I'm forgetting about... and it's been a couple years since I did any transparent-background video in Flash. I think at that time I cut the key directly in Flash, meaning I gave it green-screen clips with a green background.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

why cant you just drop your background into another track or use your greenscreen clip as a veg. in another project?
Kev O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #6
Major Player

I just want convert the video into a flash file that has no back-round and can be drooped into your webpage anywhere as a transparent video flash(FLV).
I have seen it more and more on web-site and it is very catchy !!!!
Old October 12th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Michael, you might look here: Transparent Video - Transparent Video Effect - Alpha Channel Video
Jim Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Jim,
Thanks for that link, that's what I am trying to do but I can't find a way to render my video in Vegas to a transparent back-round only,
In that link they use Serious Magic Ultra 2 to do that video effect. I was hoping to do that effect in Vegas with out buying any new software.
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #9
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh View Post
that's what I am trying to do but I can't find a way to render my video in Vegas to a transparent back-round only
File - Render As - pick AVI as the file type and UNCOMPRESSED as the preset. Now go into the "Custom" settings and make sure the Alpha Setting box is checked. Now you'll have a (large) file with a transparent background. Some of the other formats allow transparency as well but I know uncompressed will work.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
File - Render As - pick AVI as the file type and UNCOMPRESSED as the preset. Now go into the "Custom" settings and make sure the Alpha Setting box is checked. Now you'll have a (large) file with a transparent background. Some of the other formats allow transparency as well but I know uncompressed will work.
Thanks Edward,
I tried what you told me and I did get a big file but still shows the full screen with black back-round not just the person in the video.
Old October 12th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #11
Inner Circle

When there is nothing under a transparent piece it will show black in preview. Try putting THAT video on the TOP track and drop another piece on a track BELOW that.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
When there is nothing under a transparent piece it will show black in preview. Try putting THAT video on the TOP track and drop another piece on a track BELOW that.

Don
I do that every time after I render the video,it is not transparent it blocks the track below it.
Old October 13th, 2008, 08:33 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Just to make sure.
You do right-click/properties/Alpha Channel/select Straight to the video that has to be transparant?
That should do the trick.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I'm not sure, but reading some of the replies, I think there might be some confusion as to what the OP is trying to do. He is trying to have a transparent character/video appear on a webpage (I think). This does not work the same way as simply using transparent video in a video.
Jim Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
I'm not sure, but reading some of the replies, I think there might be some confusion as to what the OP is trying to do. He is trying to have a transparent character/video appear on a webpage (I think). This does not work the same way as simply using transparent video in a video.
There are many more steps in Dreamweaver8 for embedding the transparent video on the web , but first you must have a transparent video before you do the next step.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...