View Full Version : Nikon Long Telephoto Support on EX3

Steve Harryman
October 21st, 2008, 11:45 AM
I've attached a couple photos of the 500mm f/4 P Nikkor I'm planning on using with the EX3 (wildlife). Mike Tapa just made an awesome mechanical, glassless adapter for this and I'm looking for some expert advice on what would be the best options to support this rig. I saw Ofer's setup on an earlier post, but it looks scary as far as support. Any more input on how that's working for you Ofer? I'm wondering if a rail kit (60mm length rods) would be the way to go and also what plate, etc.. Steve Phillips mentioned getting a long plate made--I'm not sure where to get that made and specs needed at this point. Just wanted to get a bit more input. I currently own a Manfrotto 501 head at the moment, possibly a 503 if needed, along with a Gitzo 1548 (heavy duty carbon fiber) with a Wimberley head from my outdoor freelance days. Would be interesting to see if that could ever be used with a rig like this. Hoping to get going on getting some good wildlife footage and need to have something as close to rock-solid as possible. Anyway, Ofer, Steve and anyone else---thanks for your input on this.

Steve H.

Andrew Davies
October 22nd, 2008, 02:43 AM
Just wondering how usable a 2500mm lens will be? You'll need to be shooting through cold clear air!

Steve Harryman
October 22nd, 2008, 05:29 AM
No doubt there. Here in Michigan we've got plenty of that. More limited use with the 500---but there have been a couple instances I could have used it. I've used it on an GY-HD100 for brown bears in Alaska and with the right conditions and a sturdy tripod you can get some decent stuff.

Just wondering how usable a 2500mm lens will be? You'll need to be shooting through cold clear air!

Dan Chung
October 22nd, 2008, 07:04 AM
I've just got my EX-3 adapter from Mike and was trying to figure out the same thing for 300 and 400 mm Nikon lenses. The best solution I can find to date is a very long rails system with a Brevis proteus Cinevate Inc. (http://www.cinevate.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=89) system to raise either the camera or lens depending on the configuration and a regular rails mount at the other end , my favourite being the red rock one microShoulderMount Rod Clamp (http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl;jsessionid=0a0109441f43cc7dc1fb92ca48bd83d1cbdad0f040ec.e3eTaxmKbNaNe34Pa38Ta38Mchr0?c=472981&it=A&id=539)

A simple metal plate may be an alternative. Have a look here http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/76719-long-lens-support.html

Dan

Ofer Levy
October 22nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
I've attached a couple photos of the 500mm f/4 P Nikkor I'm planning on using with the EX3 (wildlife). Mike Tapa just made an awesome mechanical, glassless adapter for this and I'm looking for some expert advice on what would be the best options to support this rig. I saw Ofer's setup on an earlier post, but it looks scary as far as support. Any more input on how that's working for you Ofer? I'm wondering if a rail kit (60mm length rods) would be the way to go and also what plate, etc.. Steve Phillips mentioned getting a long plate made--I'm not sure where to get that made and specs needed at this point. Just wanted to get a bit more input. I currently own a Manfrotto 501 head at the moment, possibly a 503 if needed, along with a Gitzo 1548 (heavy duty carbon fiber) with a Wimberley head from my outdoor freelance days. Would be interesting to see if that could ever be used with a rig like this. Hoping to get going on getting some good wildlife footage and need to have something as close to rock-solid as possible. Anyway, Ofer, Steve and anyone else---thanks for your input on this.

Steve H.

Hi Steve,
I am definitely not an expert as I recently moved to video after years of still photography.
I am using the EX3 with a few Nikon lenses. Since I prefer to use prime lenses over the zoom, I take the whole arsenal to the field - 300, 400, 500, 600 and keep changing lenses. As scary as it looks I decided not to use any support system for the camera+lens combo. Firstly because it is not practical to keep changing lenses and re-adjusting the support system and secondly - I am not 100% sure the support is really necessary. I attach the camera+lens combo to the tripod head via the lens "leg". The camera is basically hanging on the lens so only the camera’s weight (about 2 Kg) is the factor to be considered.
Regarding a fluid head - I have tried the Vinten vision3 and found it to be unsatisfactory for such long lenses (1600-3300) so I bought the Miller Arrow 25 which is a FANTASTIC device. I attach a rubber band to the handle and manage to get very smooth, vibration free movement even with the 600mm lens.
Cheers,
http://www.oferlevyphotography.com

Andrew Davies
October 22nd, 2008, 09:19 AM
Hi Ofer

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your footage. Could you post some please?

Thanks

Andy

Steve Harryman
October 22nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
Ofer,
I'm coming from the same still photography background as well. I'm just a bit worried the EX3 will be alot more weight on the lens mount than my old F5. However, will be interesting to try it out. I do have one other question---in researching this more, you are the third person I've come across who mentioned using a rubber band for pans. Are you talking one of those huge 1" wide bands or just a normal one. That's a great idea that I will have to try. Thanks.

Steve

Hi Steve,
I am definitely not an expert as I recently moved to video after years of still photography.
I am using the EX3 with a few Nikon lenses. Since I prefer to use prime lenses over the zoom, I take the whole arsenal to the field - 300, 400, 500, 600 and keep changing lenses. As scary as it looks I decided not to use any support system for the camera+lens combo. Firstly because it is not practical to keep changing lenses and re-adjusting the support system and secondly - I am not 100% sure the support is really necessary. I attach the camera+lens combo to the tripod head via the lens "leg". The camera is basically hanging on the lens so only the camera’s weight (about 2 Kg) is the factor to be considered.
Regarding a fluid head - I have tried the Vinten vision3 and found it to be unsatisfactory for such long lenses (1600-3300) so I bought the Miller Arrow 25 which is a FANTASTIC device. I attach a rubber band to the handle and manage to get very smooth, vibration free movement even with the 600mm lens.
Cheers,
Ofer Levy Nature Photographer (http://www.oferlevyphotography.com)

Ofer Levy
October 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
I do have one other question---in researching this more, you are the third person I've come across who mentioned using a rubber band for pans. Are you talking one of those huge 1" wide bands or just a normal one. That's a great idea that I will have to try. Thanks.

Steve
Hi Steve,
I am using the standard "normal" rubber bands but I guess any will do.

Mike Tapa
October 23rd, 2008, 07:12 AM
Hi Ofer.

Can you tell me the distance from the front of the camera to the support toe on your lens.
Im guessing the photo you posted was the longest lens of you collection.
If need be, I will supply longer bars for my support system.

Also, just a word of thanks to all the guys who purchased the Nikon adaptor, (Just sold out of the second batch) I would love to see some clips soon.

Andrew Stone
October 23rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Also, just a word of thanks to all the guys who purchased the Nikon adaptor, (Just sold out of the second batch) I would love to see some clips soon.

I received my adapter a couple of weeks ago. Mr. Tapa thank you! A fine piece of workmanship.

Having not used an adapter like this before, what surprised and impressed me the most beyond the obvious of turning a 100 to 200 mm lens into a really nice telephoto was the exacting control you get with depth of field right down to macro style DOF but in a telephoto scenario.

Sverker Hahn
October 23rd, 2008, 10:07 AM
To Mike:

Are there any type of Nikon lenses that are not working well with your adaptor and EX3?

I have a Nikkor IF-ED 5,6/400, manual focus (20 years old).

/Sverker

Ofer Levy
October 23rd, 2008, 12:04 PM
To Mike:

Are there any type of Nikon lenses that are not working well with your adaptor and EX3?

I have a Nikkor IF-ED 5,6/400, manual focus (20 years old).

/Sverker

I don't own this lens but all my lenses are old Nikon lenses and work fine with Mike's adapter.

Eli Schmukler
October 23rd, 2008, 12:04 PM
Mike -

First, let me thank you for looking at this thread so that you can assess the needs of people who may be interested in your products. I am sure that your interest will benefit both your business and those viewing the thread.

Like others, I have been looking to buy an adapter so that my Nikon 35mm lenses can be used on the ex3. In looking at your products, I noted that you have an adapter specifically made for the ex3 (5.5 multiplier) and that you also have an adapter which fits a standard 1/2" lens adapter (7 multiplier). I was wondering whether the 1/2" adapter could be used on the ex3 with the ex3 to 1/2" adapter supplied with the ex3 and, if it can be, what differences we might expect (other than the obvious difference in the multiplier effect and length of the camera/lens setup).

I was going to email you directly with this question, but thought others might be interested in the answer also.

I am looking forward to your response.

Dan Chung
October 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Mike,

Glad to see you on here, theres a very short test clip here The moon on an EX3 on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/2048786)

I'll have more soon. Having a few issues with getting the rig stable but I think its sorted now.

Dan

Mike Tapa
October 23rd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Eli-

I do have a B4 (2/3") to Sony 1/2" adaptor.
This was originally designed for the first of the Sony XDCAM-HD cameras.
Basically, yes, you could fit it to the 1/2" to EX adaptor which ships with the EX3.
I have already sold a few for this purpose with no problems.

So... B4 2/3" to EX 1/2" will give an effective multiplication of X1.375

For anyone wondering, the way to work this out is to divide the diagonal of the larger format by the diagonal of the smaller (11mm/8mm).

Dan-

Fabulous clip, in between distortion effects, the image looks really crisp.
Where were you at the time?

I used to play around with telescopes in my younger days and always remember having to leave it out for at least 30mins to cool down, also to keep well away from any buildings with open doors (heat rushing out). Of course, shooting out of a window is even worse.
You probably knew all this, but thought I might mention it.

Gary Nattrass
October 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
Good to see you here Mike here is the moon shot I did with the Z7:
Untitled on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/1034579)

Nikon 70-300mm on your superb mount.

I also did some close up with the 60mm micro:Watch this Space on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/1672101)

Mike Tapa
October 23rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Gary-

Two excellent clips, the macro is especially interesting, showing the other use for this kind of adaptor.

Looks like you and Dan are in a race to the moon !

Out of interest, what aperture were you on for the moon shot?

Gary Nattrass
October 23rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks Mike the moon shot was done at F8 300mm on a manfrotto 503 tripod:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/GaryNattrass/24052008042.jpg

And with the 60mm micro:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/GaryNattrass/DSC_0815.jpg

I now have the S270 as well but have yet to use your mount on it.

Mike Tapa
October 23rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
..and another thing.

I have tentatively started to design a Canon FD - EX3.
Also Arri PL - EX3 and possibly a straight B4 - EX3
Opinions suggestions and comments from you gentlemen are welcome.

Bo Skelmose
October 23rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
I have tried the EX 3 to B4 1/2" and the B4 1/2" to B4 2/3" - all together and this can work but If you really need to use a 2/3" lens then buy the EX3 to 2/3" adapter this give much better pictures. Especially when you have to film against the light direction. (dont know what it is called in english)
All my Nikon lenses works great with Mike Tapa's EX3-Nikon adapter.
..........bo

Mike Tapa
October 23rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
I have tried the EX 3 to B4 1/2" and the B4 1/2" to B4 2/3" - all together and this can work but If you really need to use a 2/3" lens then buy the EX3 to 2/3" adapter this give much better pictures. Especially when you have to film against the light direction. (dont know what it is called in english)
All my Nikon lenses works great with Mike Tapa's EX3-Nikon adapter.
..........bo

Hi Bo.

A 2/3" B4 to EX3 adaptor?
I didnt know there was such a thing yet.
Who makes that?

Dan Chung
October 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Mike,

Its a 2/3 to EX3 adapter sold by Sony (and made by Fujinon?) Big difference is it has a little electrical socket on the side of the mount to allow lens control which is very clever.

The moon shot was at about f5.6 and the heat distortion comes because amazingly it was over Beijing (not known for clear skies or clean air)

I think the most obvious adapter right now is EOS to EX3 allowing a whole range of lenses o be fitted using secondary adapters (think Zeiss, Leica etc).

Dan

Steve Harryman
October 24th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Hey Mike,

Didn't know you made a lens support system. Is this your rail system? The photos I posted at the top of this thread are of my 500 f/4 and I've been trying to figure out how to best support it.

Steve

Hi Ofer.

Can you tell me the distance from the front of the camera to the support toe on your lens.

Eli Schmukler
October 24th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Mike -

Thanks for the response. After reviewing your comments, I went back and looked at your products again - only to find that what I thought was a Nikon to 1/2" was a nikon to 1/3" adapter. So, my question probably was confusing to you.

Gary -

Nice shot of the moon - you even captured some of the moons movement around the earth and some of the earths rotation - as the moon slowly drifted to the top right portion of the frame.

I paid particular attention to what you did because I had thought of using mike's adapter to hook the ex3 to 2 telescopes I own - probably not until spring, however. (I was curious to see what I could get using the ex slow setting and frame accumulation - just for fun. The telescopes sit on a tripod which is not what you would call portable (one move in a day is plenty) - and has a motor drive so that it can easily hold the moon or planets in the frame despite the earths rotation and lunar movement. (One scope is 4" and would be the equivalent of a 3080mm lens with mikes 5.5 multiple applied and the other is 8" and would be equivalent to a 11440mm lens (again - with mikes 5.5 multiplier). ( If my math is correct, these would be producing images which are the same as a 61 power telescope and a 228 power scope. Whether there would be enough light to get a meaningful image is questionable and, of course, a telescope tripod is crucial at these magnifications.)

While I am primarily interested in using mikes adapter on a nikon 80-400 lens - and trying it both stand alone and with canons diopter attached for closeups, once you can connect to any device that a nikon body can connect to, there are many possibilities. (For example, I read of a researcher who had connected a nikon D300 to a microscope, used live view, and recorded the HDMI output as video through a black magic card. In an application like that,the ex3 might be better - but maybe not.)

Steve Phillipps
October 25th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I think a flat plate tends to work best, it's simpler to make yourself than a rail system and is sturdier. With large broadcast and film cameras it's always made sense to attach the plate to the camera then have the lens sit on it, but with small cams like the EX3 the lens foot often hangs far below the level of the camera base so the plate may need to be on the lens.
Here are some shots of my broadcast plate (for Varicam, Sony 750, PDW700 etc.)
It has a little "mushroom" shaped screw at the rear that slides into the groove on the bottom of the camera, then attaches at the front via a spacer that replaces the camera's wedge plate. A groove runs along the front and has a captive bolt which screws into the lens foot (or a spacer to make up the gap - I've shown a Nikon 600 f4 and a Canon 150-600 here).
Hope this helps, be pleased to answer any questions, I know it seems a little complicated, nut it's not really.
You could do the same for the EX (maybe with a spacer under the camera to match the depth of your lens foot).
Steve

Ofer Levy
October 25th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Hi Ofer.

Hi Mike,

The distance between the front of the Nikon 600 f5.6 and the support toe is around 26 centimeters.
Since the camera is around 2 Kg and this is the only weight that effects the camera-lens attachement area - I wonder how critical it is to support the camera-lens combo keeping in mind the stock zoom lens is aroung 1.6 Kg and it doesn't need any support.

Are you going to make a Canon - EX3 adapter with auto iris control? As there is no aperture ring on the Canon EF lenses. (at least the ones I own - 500 f4, 300 f2.8, 70-200 2.8, 400 f5.6, 24-70 2.8.)

Thanks!
Ofer

Steve Phillipps
October 25th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Ofer, Mike was referring to the Canon FD lenses that do all have aperture rings - there are quite a lot of cheap ones out there now as stills photogs abandoned them long ago, so classics like 300 f2.8 and 500 f4.5 are real cheap.
I think as well as not ripping the mounts off, the other reason for some support is for better stability, I've always thought if the whole unit was bolted firmly together you'd get less shake, as don't forget there'll be a cettain amount of give in the lens mount.
Steve

Dan Chung
October 25th, 2008, 09:43 AM
The point about an EF mount is that is the easiest to adapt to other mounts (Nikon, Leica R, Contax etc) The Contax Zeiss lenses are very good value now, I just bought an 85mm f1.4 in very good condition for £250, far less than the new version in Nikon mount.

It will also allow the use of EF lenses but only by first setting the aperture on an Eos body. There's plenty of info about this around other forums.

Dan

Jason Davenport
October 25th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Here's a Nikon to Sony EX3 adapter :MTF Services Ltd (http://www.mtfservices.com/) middle of page.

Mike Tapa
October 26th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Hi Dan

I was actually thinking of doing something for EOS to EX3

I originally tried for the 1/3" adaptor but there was not enough room.
For the EX3, however, there is room but it would be essential to also have some electronics to manually control aperture.

I'm looking into it now, will keep you posted.

Dan Chung
October 27th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Mike, While the electronics would be nice I think it would be prohibitively expensive. Most people using EOS lenses on Letus or Brevis adapters set the aperture first on a camera body and then mount it on the adapter. A pain, but it works. With other adapted lenses like Nikon, Contax, Leica etc it is not a problem.

Dan