View Full Version : Modified the Steadicam Pilot vest from velcro straps to buckles

Pages : [1] 2 3

Peter Chung
October 24th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Just wanted to share my modification of the Steadicam Pilot.

I have my reservations about using velcro as the only way of securing and strapping up the Pilot vest. It's loud, you have to adjust it several times to get it right, you can't "save" your strap settings, and velcro wears out over time.

So I went over to the hardware store and found some nice buckles like they have on all the other Steadicam vests.

So far, I converted the side straps and the waist belt strap to buckles but haven't figured out a good way to do the shoulder straps. I think I may end up getting some pop rivets to fasten the buckles to the chest plate. But the shoulder straps aren't too bad, actually.

With these new modifications, I can quickly and easily get in and out of the rig and don't have to worry about whether I have a good fit or not because it's already set to fit right. The vest just clicks into place and no more loud velcro ;)

While I was getting buckles, I got another one for the arm keeper strap so it's got a quick release buckle, too. Very handy when you're not using the arm to keep it from swinging out and hitting someone.

I hope others find this useful. Enjoy!

Joe Lawry
October 25th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Looks great Peter!

Am i correct to say that you have just threaded the old velcro straps through the buckles and not had to sew anything?

Peter Chung
October 25th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Yep! I was able to reuse the velcro straps. So all I bought were the buckles. A very inexpensive upgrade that makes the vest fit so much better ;)

Nicholas de Kock
October 25th, 2008, 07:13 AM
The Pilot is so expensive and then you still have to upgrade it yourself! The developers should have done this for you! I wasn't aware that the Pilot had Velcro, might even make me reconsider upgrading from the smooth shooter.

Frank Simpson
October 25th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Peter-

Great mods! I recently sold my Merlin Vest to "upgrade" to the Pilot, and was planning on doing almost exactly the same thing! I have an idea for the shoulder buckles, but I'll have to wait until the Pilot arrives later next week.

I especially LOVE the arm keeper modification. It's the one thing I never liked on my Merlin Vest, but adding the side release buckle is a great idea.

I work for OP/TECH USA (http://www.optechusa.com) where we manufacture all kinds of straps, pouches and accessories, aimed primarily at the Photo industry, but obviously theres some crossover to video. So I'll probably do sewn versions of the replacement straps.

Nicholas-

Don't knock the Pilot as an expensive product. Yes, it is kind of a hefty price tag, but with Steadicam, you really do get what you pay for. I'll take Steadicam over Smooth Shooter every time!

Tiffen engineered the Velcro version of the vest for a reason- to make it extremely versatile to fit operators of ALL sizes and shapes. If I have to make minor modifications (Less than $10!) to make it more convenient for me, I certainly don't mind.

Peter Chung
October 25th, 2008, 12:00 PM
The buckles are not a big deal. The Pilot will perform much better than the SmoothShooter, especially since the SmoothShooter only has one articulated arm. You're right, though, that the vest should have already come with buckles, IMHO. Most vests have some sort of velcro on there to make the straps more secure. With a light rig like the Pilot, velcro should be okay. It's not a deal breaker, though, especially since you can upgrade it yourself for less than $10 (and $20 at the most).

Peter Chung
October 25th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Peter-

Great mods! I recently sold my Merlin Vest to "upgrade" to the Pilot, and was planning on doing almost exactly the same thing! I have an idea for the shoulder buckles, but I'll have to wait until the Pilot arrives later next week.

I especially LOVE the arm keeper modification. It's the one thing I never liked on my Merlin Vest, but adding the side release buckle is a great idea.

I work for OP/TECH USA (http://www.optechusa.com) where we manufacture all kinds of straps, pouches and accessories, aimed primarily at the Photo industry, but obviously theres some crossover to video. So I'll probably do sewn versions of the replacement straps.

Please post pictures of your mod after you do them.

Out of curiosity, what advantages would sewing the straps have over using the existing velcro? In my experience, the straps don't loosen or fall out in the non-sewing buckles.

What's your idea for the shoulder buckles? I did try putting the buckles in like I did for the other straps but you can just as easily pull the velcro off instead of unbuckling so I decided to leave it as is for now.

Nicholas de Kock
October 25th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Frank I definitely agree with you. Buckles are much better than Velcro, I'm still saving for my Pilot upgrade, guess all I'm secretly saying is that I hope I can buy a version with buckles by the time I've saved up enough.

Charles Papert
October 25th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Frank's assessment of the Pilot vest being designed to fit a multitude of operators is correct. There are murmurs about a version with buckles being introduced as an option for those who don't need to share their vest with others. Hopefully it will be available as a separate item for those who have already bought Pilots.

p.s. for those who aren't that familiar with the features of the Pilot, you might want to peek at my review posted right here (http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/camsupport/steadicampilot1.php)on DVi. I share the same sentiments as you folks about the velcro as you can read.

Dave Gish
October 26th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Maybe I'm weird, but I actually prefer the Velcro. I've used 3 different vests with buckles, (regular Flyer, leather Flyer, and Glidecam V-20). I find it much harder to adjust buckles dynamically as I'm wearing the rig.

For some reason, the "set-it-and-forget-it" approach doesn't seem to work well for me. After lunch I loosen up the straps a bit. Also, sometimes I just feel like something is too tight or loose, not sure why. In addition, I like to keep my hip strap really tight, so when there's a few minutes break I'll always loosen that up an inch or two for comfort. I actually switched the hip strap arrangement so that it attaches on the right side for that reason. This way I can hold the sled with my left hand and adjust the hip strap with my right. It takes like 5 seconds to adjust a Velcro strap.

Yes, the straps do seem to wear out the more you hook/unhook them. So far, I've solved this by just switching the ends of the straps when one end starts wearing out. However, I know this won't work forever, so I ordered 2 more straps as backup. Tiffen part # 801-7812, $32 each (22"x2" Velcro straps). I use the Pilot frequently, so it looks like I'll wear out 2 of these straps per year.

One note: since the shoulder adjustments don't seem to vary, I just leave these always attached and slide it over my head. So this is one set-it-and-forget-it adjustment that works for me.

Charles Papert
October 26th, 2008, 12:25 PM
You're not weird Dave! Higher end vests have improved features to allow for just the sort of thing you describe--the Klassen has ski-boot style ratchets, the PRO has articulating latches that relax the straps as needed. Buckles are sort of "old school" but they are tried and true.

Nicholas de Kock
October 26th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Charles thanks, review was a good read.

Peter Chung
October 27th, 2008, 08:32 AM
However, I know this won't work forever, so I ordered 2 more straps as backup. Tiffen part # 801-7812, $32 each (22"x2" Velcro straps). I use the Pilot frequently, so it looks like I'll wear out 2 of these straps per year.

Dave, in your case, you might want to look into buying a roll of velcro so that you can cut straps to length as well as save some money.

Peter Chung
October 27th, 2008, 08:38 AM
You're not weird Dave! Higher end vests have improved features to allow for just the sort of thing you describe--the Klassen has ski-boot style ratchets, the PRO has articulating latches that relax the straps as needed. Buckles are sort of "old school" but they are tried and true.

I thought about using snowboard bindings but I found the buckles and it was a really easy and simple modification! Maybe in the future, I'll try bindings.

Dave Gish
October 27th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Dave, in your case, you might want to look into buying a roll of velcro so that you can cut straps to length as well as save some money.
I've never seen any 2" wide velcro with hooks on one side and loops on the other. Do you know where I might find something like this?

Peter Chung
October 27th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I've never seen any 2" wide velcro with hooks on one side and loops on the other. Do you know where I might find something like this?

Go to mcmaster.com I would post a link directly to the product but the site doesn't allow you to as it uses frames and javascript. Type "velcro strap" in the search box and click on "One-Piece Self-Grip strap." You can get a 30 foot roll of 2" wide black velcro for less than the price of one 22" strap... that's like 16 for the price of one! That should last you for like... 8 years ;)

Peter Chung
October 27th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I just got an email from Michael Craigs at Tiffen, who forward my mod to Garrett Brown and other members of their staff.

Garrett Brown responded back with, “Please pass the word to Peter Chung that I like the 'quick release' buckle to capture the arm.” How cool is that? I feel like I've just been contacted by a celebrity! ;)

Travis Fadler
October 27th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Very cool Peter! Thanks for all the useful info you've provided.

Frank Simpson
October 27th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Wow, Peter!

A message from Garrett Brown is indeed something to cherish! I know I would certainly feel honored by such a thing as that!

Well done!

I should be receiving my Pilot on Wednesday, so if my thoery on the shoulder buckles proves viable I'll certainly post it.

Michael Y Wong
October 27th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Peter

That arm holder is GENIUS! I definately need that!

Joe Lawry
October 28th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Hey Peter,

I've decided im going to give the mod a go, just a quick question in regards to which straps you used where..

Im guessing you are now using 3 straps around the chest? 1 on the chest plate and then one on each side of the back of the vest?

And then are you only using 2 around the waist? which is where you've got the third one for the chest mod?

Now time to go find some good buckles..

Cheers

Joe

Peter Chung
October 28th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Hey Peter,

I've decided im going to give the mod a go, just a quick question in regards to which straps you used where..

Im guessing you are now using 3 straps around the chest? 1 on the chest plate and then one on each side of the back of the vest?

And then are you only using 2 around the waist? which is where you've got the third one for the chest mod?

Now time to go find some good buckles..

Cheers

Joe

Exactly! You might have better luck out in NZ but the widest buckles I found were 2 inches wide. The velcro straps, however, are a little bigger, at 2.25 inches. It's a tight fit to get the straps through but the buckles are just wide enough.

Joe Lawry
October 29th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Cheers Peter, have found 2 inch buckles.. time to make them fit.

Joe Lawry
October 30th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Well i gave the buckles a try, it was alright, but i still couldnt get them attached to the velcro straps to how i like them, so i've swapped back to the staps. If Steadicam do release a buckle vest for the pilot i'll probably upgrade but for now i'll stick with the velcro.

On another note, i've just got my power drop down soldered up, no more camera batteries! My HVX is now powering off my sled.

Now how do i make/where do i put a D box... hmmm

Charles King
October 31st, 2008, 04:32 AM
On another note, I've just got my power drop down soldered up, no more camera batteries! My HVX is now powering off my sled.

How did you achieve this? Got a pic?

Now how do i make/where do i put a D box... hmmm

Is one really necessary for this extremely light setup?

As for the vest, it is just a matter of knowing how to do it right. It is possible to get it to work like; for the example, the Glidecam vest, which I assume it the idea.

Peter Chung
October 31st, 2008, 11:13 AM
Well i gave the buckles a try, it was alright, but i still couldnt get them attached to the velcro straps to how i like them, so i've swapped back to the staps. If Steadicam do release a buckle vest for the pilot i'll probably upgrade but for now i'll stick with the velcro.

What didn't you like about the buckles?

On another note, i've just got my power drop down soldered up, no more camera batteries! My HVX is now powering off my sled.

Cool! I'd love to see photos and explanation, too! :)

Joe Lawry
October 31st, 2008, 07:00 PM
The biggest problem i had was i actually had the wrong style buckle. It looked like the one from the attached picture. With only 1 part of the buckle being the locking style. Both need to be. But even then one side that did have it wouldnt lock correctly and kept coming loose. And of course you cant thread the velcro through the non-locking buckle and then securely velcro it as when you fold it back through you get velcro hooks on velcro hooks.. so you'd then need to have a piece of double sided velcro loops inbetween.

Will post a picture of the power cable soon. Its a frezzi product. Made for the Frezzi Stable Cam shoulder mount to go from the VLock/AB mount on the back to the DV camera your supporting. I've just cut the ends off and soldered on the correct plugs. I've got 7.2v coming out the end.

Actually, just found it on BH - Frezzolini | 99106 PC-P2 Adapter Cable | 99106 | B&H Photo Video (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554476-REG/Frezzolini_99106_99106_PC_P2_Adapter_Cable.html)

Mine looks different, however they have the same model number so maybe frezzi redesigned them, Theres also one on there for the Z1, DVX, and a couple other cameras. All you'd need to do is cut off the end that normally plugs into the Stable Cam, solder on a new 2.1mm positive center connector to plug into the pilot sled and away you go.

Charles, the only reason im thinking a distribution box is because along with powering the camera i also eventually want to power a video transmitter. Which means i'll also need to power a small DA for video signal as my camera only has 1 cvbs out.

Peter Chung
November 1st, 2008, 03:31 PM
The buckle in your picture is the sew-on type.

That's strange that the one side wasn't locking in place for you. Did you make sure to hook it in properly? You should put the strap in the hole closer to the buckle and then the loose end should go back in the hole that's further from the buckle so it kind of folds back on itself.

Nice power cable, btw!

Frank Simpson
November 7th, 2008, 03:14 PM
OK, so I finally received my Pilot, and last night I did my version of the buckle modifications.

First of all, they are VERY much like Peter's original mods. The chief differences with mine are that I did add buckles at the shoulders, and I swapped out the stock velcro straps with nylon webbing straps with velcro sewn onto them. The main reason I went this route is because I do a lot of shooting in backstage areas, and I get tired of my vest sticking to every curtain I brush up against. With my version, there is no exposed hook tape.

In figure 1 I made a strap of Loop Tape thread through two female buckles which are sewn into place. The space between the buckles is exactly 7.75", which is the wide if the center chest spar on the vest.

Figure 2 shows how I made the straps for the chest and hips. The nylon webbing can be as long as needed, according to the operator's measurements. But the Loop Tape portions are exactly as long as the Hook Tape sections on the vest. They are sewn to the nylon webbing in a box X pattern as indicated. The opposite ends of the straps have the Side release buckles applied to them, along with a triglide, which eliminates the need for them to be sewn and allows for the greatest range of adjustability.

The shoulder buckles are applied as shown in figures 3 and 4. For the female buckles on the vest spar, I took a short length of Hook Tape and Loop Tape and angled them (3a) to help follow the curvature of the spar. I sewed them together along the angled edge, with the "business sides" of the velcro together. Then I simply threaded the buckle onto this new piece (3b) and applied it to the spar (3c).

For the vest pad I again cut a piece of Loop Tape, this time slightly longer than the length of the Hook Tape that is on the vest pad. I threaded the male buckle onto the Loop Tape and positioned it right against the plastic common loop that is on the Hook Tape.

I really like how quickly and easily I can get in and out of the vest now, and I also like the fact that I can set it down, and when I pick it up again it won't have a bunch of stuff clinging to it.

Peter Chung
November 10th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Nice, Frank!

Thanks for the explanation and for the diagrams! Did you do the sewing yourself? I don't know how to sew so I just reused the existing velcro straps but I totally understand about having stuff cling to your vest every time you put it down on carpet or you brush up against curtains, especially when the fabric isn't black and you get discolored fuzzies stuck in your velcro. Yuck!

Frank Simpson
November 10th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks, Peter!

Yes, I did sew it myself. Originally I was going to use one of our ultra-super computerized industrial sewing machines at work that we use for, of all things, manufacturing camera straps! But I could never get onto one since they're kept very busy in production.

So I just figured I'd give it a try on my little home sewing machine. It proved to work much better than I would have imagined!

I'll try to take some pictures and post them in the next few days.

Frank Simpson
January 8th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I just realized that I never followed up with a slight alteration to my configuration.

I discovered that wearing it as shown in my illustrations that the shoulder connections would slowly begin to work their way out, slightly loosening the fit. It was never in danger of coming loose completely, but still a bit of an inconvenience.

So all I had to do was to move the side release buckle that is applied to the shoulder pads on the vest to above the plastic common loop on the pad, rather than below it as shown in the original diagram. Initially I had avoided this as I thought it would not be as comfortable. It turns out I was completely wrong about this point. Now the vest remains absolutely secure, doesn't work itself loose, and still fits as comfortably as ever!

Sean Seah
January 12th, 2009, 09:49 AM
thaz nice. Till today I have not really figured out how those straps work exactly!

Nick Tsamandanis
March 7th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Great info, just ordered several buckles to make the change as well, a bit later on I will invest in a nice Flyer vest for the Pilot. The Pilot's vest is a bit of a let down for me.

Bill Pryor
March 7th, 2009, 12:22 PM
The Pilot and Merlin use the same vest and arms. I have the Merlin and am happy with the vest; I like the smaller size and ligter weight of the arms compared to the bigger units. I used to have a Varizoom big system for a 2/3" chip camera, and everything was pretty heavy even before I got to the camera. In recent years I've become a small chip/light weight aficionado. The velcro was a bit of a pain at first, but I'm accustomed to it now, although I do like the buckles and am considering doing that if I can find the right buckles.

Peter Chung
March 7th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Just another update that I "upgraded" from using quick release buckles to using ratchets for quick adjustments, tightening, and release :) It's pretty awesome! I haven't had time to take photos but I can get a pretty good custom fit every time.

Warren Kawamoto
March 7th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I have the Flyer, which has stock buckles, but I've noticed that sometimes these buckles squeak and groan when I'm moving. This can be very annoying. Have you noticed this?

Danny O'Neill
March 7th, 2009, 01:37 PM
peter, would love to see some pics of that when you get the time.

looking to get a pilot soon, currently have a smooth shooter which has buckles and its an alright vest. then when i saw the infinatly more expensive pilot i was a bit dissapointed by the vest being this velcro mish mash.

David C. Williams
March 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I have the Flyer, which has stock buckles, but I've noticed that sometimes these buckles squeak and groan when I'm moving. This can be very annoying. Have you noticed this?

Dry Silicon spray gets rid of the squeaks.

Frank Simpson
March 7th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Danny, remember that the reason for the "velcro mish mash" is to make a vest that is far more versatile than any other. As Tiffen states, the vest can be fitted to a 7-year old child and on up to a 300 lb. linebacker. This is not hyperbole. It is an ingenious design, and it works very, very well. I do happen to like my buckle modified version, but I also know others who prefer the velcro version.

Charles King
March 10th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Just goes to show...to each his own. ;)

Scott Shama
March 22nd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Peter,

Would love some pics of the new ratchet buckles as well as a link or information where you got them...

Thanks,
Scott

David Samelman
March 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Peter,

I agree with Scott and would really appreciate seeing a few pics and / or info.

Thanks.

David
DMS

Peter Chung
April 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I will get the info up eventually but have been swamped with a lot of different projects.

David Samelman
April 12th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I look forward to the info as soon as you have a chance.

Scott Shama
May 7th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Hey Peter,

Any chance you can give some info on the ratchet buckles you are using? Where you got them? Pics would be a bonus.. I am hoping to upgrade a system soon.. any help would be great..

Thanks,
Scott

Danny O'Neill
June 24th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Got my pilot today and this velcro business is a pile o' poop! Seriously Tiffen. ITs the most fiddly, stick to everytyhing, noisy thing going. Glad I got a roll of seatbelt material, buckles and some velcro to make my own quick release clips.

I have a Glidecam smoothshooter vest which is metal and buckles and that feels more solid (but not as portable). So will be spending this week modifying the whole vest.

The actual unit is wonderful, really well done.

Charles Papert
June 24th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I have had discussion about the Pilot vest with various folks at Tiffen including Garrett.

The intent of the design was to make something that was extremely adjustable, very lightweight and simple, could fold flat to make transport easy and could be worn under other clothes (good for wedding photographers who have to wear a jacket, for instance).

They are aware that folks who don't have those specific concerns would like a vest that has "proper" buckles on it and, last I heard, are considering offering one as an option. However don't quote me on this, nor go calling them up and saying "Charles Papert said...".

I myself have never been able to get in and out of the thing without completely confusing myself or ending up holding a loose piece in my hand with no clue where it goes.

Danny O'Neill
June 25th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Haha, I put it on yesterday and ended up with a piece in my hand. I was worried I missed something and it was going to fall off :)

I instantly said "Uh Oh" when I put it down on my carpet and when I tried to pick it up I had to peel it from the carpet. My main concern is I work in quite close quarters sometimes at weddings and the last thing I want is for some exposed hook to catch somones expensive outfit and get a slap.

So I have a 10m roll of nylon (seatbelt) webbing, 4 meters of hook and loop velcro. 5, high quality buckles and a sewing machine at the ready. Im going to fully buckle this badboy and still maintain its ability to fit many sizes. Photos when done.

Frank Simpson
June 25th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Danny-

If you have not looked at them yet, check out the modifications at the beginning of this thread. Peter Chung kind of got the ball rolling, and several of us have modified our Merlin/Pilot Vests.

I shoot in a lot of backstage environments, and boy do those velour drapes love to grab onto exposed Velcro hook!

I work in a Camera Strap factory by day, so I was able to cobble together some nylon webbing, Velcro taps and some side-release buckle style hardware to make replacement straps for mine. I have not looked back since!