View Full Version : EX3 microphone amp and wireless receivers

Arild Pedersen
October 26th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Today, I tested EX3 and 5 different wireless microphone sets, Azden, Samson, Sennheiser, AKG and Nady. All but one worked OK. The Samson UM1 UHF receiver delivered audio, but it gave a lot of noise. I tried different cabling to avoid the problem. I’m not going to use the Samson set on my EX3, but I have never heard noise like this on other type of equipment. Almost perfect white noise. I have tested the UM1 set on several portable and stationary mixer consoles, digital recorders, old tape recorders, Sony DXC-series DVCAM camera, works fine. But not on EX3! I really would like to see the schematic of the EX3 mic amp!
(I designed audio equipment for the film industry 20 years ago)

Andy Wilkinson
October 26th, 2008, 10:15 AM
My EX3 works absolutely fine with my Sennheiser G2 system. There is a way to set sensitivity of the EX3 pre-amps but I've never needed to change it from the default setting. Sounds like a dodgy EX3!

Paul R Johnson
October 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I'd suggest that the problem is phantom power - some equipment have real issues when plugged into an input that has 48V phantom on it. Sennheiser and Trantec, I know ignore it, but if the Samson behaves itself when used on other kit, but plays up on the sony - I reckon this could be the issue. To be honest, the few pence DC blocking actually costs is a false economy some manufacturers seem to ignor. I found this one out when connecting my JVC to an expensive Soundcraft mixing desk - squirting 48V up it's output made every LED on the desk - including all the meters suddenly go full! The audio result was just white noise at full output, but also just a way to get the mixer lighting up like a Christmas tree. Turning phantom off cured it straight away.

Arild Pedersen
October 26th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Noop! No phantom power.
Tried to connect the Samson receiver to an ENG-mixer, MM-3100, and then to the EX3 mic input, now in line position. Everything sounds OK. Very funny!

David Issko
October 26th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I have been using a Sony WRR/WRT series radio mic set with pristine results on my EX3.

Brian Cassar
October 27th, 2008, 04:06 AM
I've been using the Sony UWP series with no problem at all as well. Sound extremely satisfactory.

Arild Pedersen
October 27th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Anybody tested or used any two channel radio mic. Ex the Audio Technica ATW-1824?

Dan Chung
October 30th, 2008, 05:24 AM
David,

How are you mounting your WRR on the EX3? I have one and have been trying to figure out a good way of securing it short of velcro.

Dan

Mike Chandler
October 30th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Dan--I've always just put the receiver in a belt pouch, which I either strap to the tripod during interviews or on my belt during hand-held. Lets me see the controls, esp. battery, while working.