EX3 microphone amp and wireless receivers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 26th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX3 microphone amp and wireless receivers

Today, I tested EX3 and 5 different wireless microphone sets, Azden, Samson, Sennheiser, AKG and Nady. All but one worked OK. The Samson UM1 UHF receiver delivered audio, but it gave a lot of noise. I tried different cabling to avoid the problem. I’m not going to use the Samson set on my EX3, but I have never heard noise like this on other type of equipment. Almost perfect white noise. I have tested the UM1 set on several portable and stationary mixer consoles, digital recorders, old tape recorders, Sony DXC-series DVCAM camera, works fine. But not on EX3! I really would like to see the schematic of the EX3 mic amp!
(I designed audio equipment for the film industry 20 years ago)
Arild Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

My EX3 works absolutely fine with my Sennheiser G2 system. There is a way to set sensitivity of the EX3 pre-amps but I've never needed to change it from the default setting. Sounds like a dodgy EX3!
Old October 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'd suggest that the problem is phantom power - some equipment have real issues when plugged into an input that has 48V phantom on it. Sennheiser and Trantec, I know ignore it, but if the Samson behaves itself when used on other kit, but plays up on the sony - I reckon this could be the issue. To be honest, the few pence DC blocking actually costs is a false economy some manufacturers seem to ignor. I found this one out when connecting my JVC to an expensive Soundcraft mixing desk - squirting 48V up it's output made every LED on the desk - including all the meters suddenly go full! The audio result was just white noise at full output, but also just a way to get the mixer lighting up like a Christmas tree. Turning phantom off cured it straight away.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Rewired

Noop! No phantom power.
Tried to connect the Samson receiver to an ENG-mixer, MM-3100, and then to the EX3 mic input, now in line position. Everything sounds OK. Very funny!
Old October 26th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Major Player

I have been using a Sony WRR/WRT series radio mic set with pristine results on my EX3.
Old October 27th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #6
Major Player

I've been using the Sony UWP series with no problem at all as well. Sound extremely satisfactory.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

two channel radio

Anybody tested or used any two channel radio mic. Ex the Audio Technica ATW-1824?
Old October 30th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #8
Major Player

David,

How are you mounting your WRR on the EX3? I have one and have been trying to figure out a good way of securing it short of velcro.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Dan--I've always just put the receiver in a belt pouch, which I either strap to the tripod during interviews or on my belt during hand-held. Lets me see the controls, esp. battery, while working.
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds