View Full Version : MXF to AVI Workflow

Derek Nickell
November 28th, 2008, 08:41 PM
So, did the ole' search thingy and came back with nothin...

So, my workflow to AVI is as follows....

HPX500 => P2CMS via Duel => Export to external PW800 => Backed to Storage => Ingest via Log and Transfer to QT mov file => Save QT file as AVI

Anyone know of a third party app that will offload to AVI besides the $300 HD File Converter Pro? Focus Enhancements (http://www.focusinfo.com/solutions/catalog.asp?id=213)

Spike Spiegel
November 30th, 2008, 11:23 AM
ok if you are looking for mov, i'm assuming you are working with FC Pro? I thought the NLE's such as premiere/FC Pro could easily work with the p2files natively, as in, straight up from the card without any need for wrappers or transcoding, etc.

Derek Nickell
November 30th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Well, i should have been more clear as to what i wanted out of the question. I have to transfer files to a clients machine, so because I am working in FCP and he is working on PP 1.5 i need to get them to a workable format so that he can import them to his machine.

Noah Kadner
December 1st, 2008, 02:11 PM
Well, i should have been more clear as to what i wanted out of the question. I have to transfer files to a clients machine, so because I am working in FCP and he is working on PP 1.5 i need to get them to a workable format so that he can import them to his machine.

Why not just send them the original camera folders? Premiere takes them right in as MXF and is all set. There's not much reason for you to send them converted AVIs or whatever- it's extra work and a generation loss.

Noah

Andy Olson
December 1st, 2008, 03:19 PM
Hey Derek,

There are a few options for you.

Premiere Pro 1.5 won't take MXFs directly unless your client gets a program like DVFilm Raylight for Windows. Then you could give him the content folders + lastclip.txt file and he could edit directly in Premiere Pro. He can download a demo of it at DVFilm - Digital to Film Transfers, Tape to Film Tranfers (http://www.dvfilm.com)

Or he can upgrade to the latest version of Premiere CS4 and edit MXFs natively.

Yet, another option is that you could export DVCPRO HD quicktimes and your client could use a program that reads DVCPro hd quicktimes to edit them though this process is almost as long as what you are originally doing minus the last AVI render. DVfilm has a program for that as well.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Noah Kadner
December 1st, 2008, 05:39 PM
Oh wow- I didn't read that. Premiere Pro 1.5?! That's like 4 years old or more now- an eternity in computerland. Get the guy to upgrade for goodness sake and save yourself a lot of back and forth heartache.

Noah

Derek Nickell
December 4th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Oh wow- I didn't read that. Premiere Pro 1.5?! That's like 4 years old or more now- an eternity in computerland. Get the guy to upgrade for goodness sake and save yourself a lot of back and forth heartache.

Noah

Yeah when he told me that he had 1.5 i kinda choked a little. I hadnt run in PP since PP2, and that was about 2.5 years ago....I knew i was going to run into problems. I told him that if he wanted to keep up with the edit side of the house than he needed to upgrade severely. To which he responded, i don't edit enough to justify it. So, i left it at that.

Hey Derek,

There are a few options for you.

Premiere Pro 1.5 won't take MXFs directly unless your client gets a program like DVFilm Raylight for Windows......Hope this helps.

Andy

Thanks for the link. Ill send it to him. I know he wont buy it, but might use the demo.